• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 490 93.5%

• Total voters

Digby

Major Contributor
Have you heard some MEGs? If you prefer the Neumann to the Genelec sound I am sure you would probably really like them.
meg shut up.jpg

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1) You answered your own question, probably. In the scheme of loudspeakers, industrial cosmetics will not be many people's first choice of design, if the goal is integration within a typical domestic environment. One cannot simply discount that aspect, out of hand. Back in the day, JBL took their 'industrial' studio monitors and cosmeticized them for domestic consumption. Neumann could easily do that, for an extra thousand dollars. If they don't offer it, it is because the domestic scene is not their bag.

2) Pace the notion of 'true interest', it is similar to someone arguing how if a driver was truly interested in performance, they would seriously consider a Caterham Seven, whereas another might frown and say that anything less than a Hayabusa is slumming it. But the vast majority of drivers are looking for something a little more practical, and most folks prefer something enclosed, with air conditioning.

3) ASR is what you say, but then again, it's not like these 450s are inexpensive, although they are certainly not stupid.

PS: The Nuemann site shows one of their smaller self-powered loudspeakers (KH 120) in white. This version tends to camouflage the strictly industrial look of the grey box, and might better integrate into a 'modern' feng shui. The problem with the 420 is that it's a pretty large loudspeaker, with a form factor that is difficult to aesthetically massage.
They look fine for me at home and as a family they agree they are fine. But we are special.
I don’t understand your second point. Don’t know a Caterham.

To clarify, the fact that the entire music system is now a Mac mini plus an RME and minimal cables was wonderful to my wife. A little decoration and lighting hides the speakers. And it works! No more big boxes and lots of wires around. In her opinion.

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
My father had a pairs of Klein + Hummel older than the 70s = with a tube amplifier inside !
I've never seen those, but i've ofthen seen the 1970's Klein+Hummel OZ II, that was an analog active 2 way speaker with transistor based crossover and amplifiers in the bottom of the cabinet. Drivers were Altec OEM (807 compression driver and 414 woofers) drivers. The first OZ was also transistor based but in the 60's so it has to be the precestor of that one tha you're talking about.

The OZ II is remarkable neutral for it's time. I heared it next to JBL 4330's (the owner has both of those) and it's sounding (i can't measure them, the owner don't let me do it) more neutral, which surprised me.

33068-0-33068.jpg

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never seen those, but i've ofthen seen the 1970's Klein+Hummel OZ II, that was an analog active 2 way speaker with transistor based crossover and amplifiers in the bottom of the cabinet. Drivers were Altec OEM (807 compression driver and 414 woofers) drivers. The first OZ was also transistor based but in the 60's so it has to be the precestor of that one tha you're talking about.

The OZ II is remarkable neutral for it's time. I heared it next to JBL 4330's (the owner has both of those) and it's sounding (i can't measure them, the owner don't let me do it) more neutral, which surprised me.

33068-0-33068.jpg
Klein + Hummel had many superb products from electronics to loudspeakers, they had in the 60s or 70s even a studio monitor with a rear resonator to give some cardioid behaviour in the bass.

muad

I'm waiting to get some used Revel Ultima Salon 2 here in Germany and now this review. It almost cost the same but with these Ill get a new product. Will I regret it to buy the Neumann over the Salon 2 or the Genelec? I want to buy quality once and want never look back. What should I do now?

They're going to sound different just based on wide vs narrow directivity. I would base my decision on that. The salon 2 is extremely wide and flat up to 10khz, not a trait easily found on other speakers. If you find that you enjoy KEF speakers then maybe you would prefer the sound of the Neuman?

Blockader

Klein + Hummel had many superb products from electronics to loudspeakers, they had in the 60s or 70s even a studio monitor with a rear resonator to give some cardioid behaviour in the bass.
do you remember the model name?

Adi777

Why subwoofers from company like Neumann, Genelec, or Adam are so expensive?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Then why does the KH420 has lower distortion than the KH310?
There is no comparable measurements anywhere. If there is, - show me !

Adi777

They are better than JL Audio, JTR, Rhytmik, PSA, Funk Audio?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Aha adbo123:)

To compare, you must show the same measurements.

AC303625-F622-4019-BA8B-C8F2F1E26CD2.png
41AF255B-75DA-47B1-BAFA-D347147E6071.png
12B3920F-ED58-44A4-AE29-A49AD61B0FB9.png
BA3B123F-B5A5-48F7-97B0-08C55A84153F.png

beagleman

Major Contributor
They look fine for me at home and as a family they agree they are fine. But we are special.
I don’t understand your second point. Don’t know a Caterham.

To clarify, the fact that the entire music system is now a Mac mini plus an RME and minimal cables was wonderful to my wife. A little decoration and lighting hides the speakers. And it works! No more big boxes and lots of wires around. In her opinion.
Wow, you need to get out some!

Find a Caterham owner, ask to borrow for 20 minutes and have possibly the most fun you can have on a road.

dfuller

Major Contributor
A 10 inch driver crossing to a 3 inch midrange is a bigger compromise in the 800 Hz area than a 8 inch driver crossing to a 3 inch driver.
Not... really...
The KH420 crosses at 24dB/oct at about 570Hz. By 800hz it will be a bit more than 12dB down.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
do you remember the model name?
Unfortunately not, K+H used to have a fantastic online archive of all their products but the Sennheiser group unfortunately shut it down after they took over.

Blockader

Why subwoofers from company like Neumann, Genelec, or Adam are so expensive?
They take digital input in. They have their own AD / DA conversion units inside(which are supposedly have above 96 SINAD performance which is CD quality), filters to apply room correction, FIR phase linearization filters and a processor to conduct communication between their room correction software & subwoofer. (and more)

they have also good transient response which means they have low group delay. Both Genelec and Neumann subwoofers have lower group than 1 cycle per frequency, for example Neumann's KH 750's have 34ms delay at 20hz where each cycle takes 50ms time to complete.

kh750_kh80_group_delay_510.gif

Top Bottom