• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 490 93.5%

• Total voters

ribonucleic

What are the practicalities of pulling the trigger on a purchase like this?

I’m thinking primarily about the heft and mass. The shipping weight on these puppies is 92 pounds each. Who’s going to carry that into my house and upstairs? Can help be hired to get the speakers mounted on stands and erected in the listening room? Will I need to put the stands on furniture sliders to have any chance of repositioning them?

okok

What are the practicalities of pulling the trigger on a purchase like this?

I’m thinking primarily about the heft and mass. The shipping weight on these puppies is 92 pounds each. Who’s going to carry that into my house and upstairs? Can help be hired to get the speakers mounted on stands and erected in the listening room? Will I need to put the stands on furniture sliders to have any chance of repositioning them?

hire some legs, usually, need no more than 5 guys

unpluggged

Who’s going to carry that into my house and upstairs?
Such products are usually sold to commercial customers and installed by contractors (integrators/dealers). In fact, the purchase contracts usually stipulate this as a condition to be entitled to aftersale support services.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I transported, carried in, and installed my 82lb Revel F228Be speakers by myself. I'm 59 years old, although I do some modest weightlifting to keep my back functional. All it takes is a decent handtruck.

mj30250

Evidently the 420s "only" weigh 77lbs each. That should be movable for the majority of healthy adults. That's actually a lot less than I'd have expected for a somewhat large speaker with internal amplification that can blast out an honest 26Hz at extremely high volumes. Many far lesser floor standers can weigh into the hundreds of pounds, and most of those are passive to boot.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Evidently the 420s "only" weigh 77lbs each. That should be movable for the majority of healthy adults. That's actually a lot less than I'd have expected for a somewhat large speaker with internal amplification that can blast out an honest 26Hz at extremely high volumes. Many far lesser floor standers can weigh into the hundreds of pounds, and most of those are passive to boot.
I have been toying with the idea of downsizing my Legacy Focus speakers (185 lbs) to the lightweight KH420's ------

teashea

Why? Only size wise?
Because the Legacy Focus speakers are in one of the rooms of my recording studio and all of the other monitors in my studio are
20230115_182028.jpg
20230413_124005.jpg
20230413_123843.jpg
Neumann's.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Not unless you are sitting very close to them... or playing them very loud.
They are truly awesome speakers and I personally would love to attempt to get them to overwhelm any of my rooms...

Dayuum.

PS They are probably overkill for that sized room.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would the 420s overwhelm a 10' x 12" listening room?

If so, how big a room would they need?

Speakers don't overwhelm rooms, but you need a minimum distance for proper drive integration. In this case Neumann recommends at least 5'.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
They won't overwhelm your room unless you like ear bleeding loud. As long as you are not sitting too close they will be fantastic.

teashea

minimum distance for driver integration should be possible to calculate from the vertical data?
Read the Neumann website. They providive this informtion for all of their monitor.

Top Bottom