• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 490 93.5%

• Total voters

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
I think once you get to speakers the size of KH420, you might as well go for really BIG speakers, in that once they are on stands, they are almost as obtrusive as a JBL M2.

I know they are a professional speaker, but in the home if you want a large speaker + stands, you might as well do away with the stands and have a LARGE speaker.
There’s the option to wall mount them. I’m considering that approach

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think once you get to speakers the size of KH420, you might as well go for really BIG speakers, in that once they are on stands, they are almost as obtrusive as a JBL M2.

I know they are a professional speaker, but in the home if you want a large speaker + stands, you might as well do away with the stands and have a LARGE speaker.
on my fourth pair of k+h over forty+ years... these 420(s) are not much different in size that my first pair of o92(s) - they all have been mid-fields.... for what I do I wouldn't want or need anything bigger...

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Yeah this roughly parallels my experience with Focal Trios. Just not in the same grade as Neumann, Genelec, ATC etc.
In the video he says that the tweeter is a bit rolled off
Do you feel it's true?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Care to name a « large » active speaker with similar performances and price?

Peace.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Care to name a « large » acrive speaker with similar performances and price?

Peace.
I'd consider Genelec 1237 or 8361 or this Geithain that is 16 inch (!)
Screenshot_20230407_082052_Chrome.jpg

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd consider Genelec 1237 or 8361 or this Geithain that is 16 inch (!)View attachment 277628
1) The Geithain is not larger than the KH420
2) The Geithaib is more expensive, at $24,130 for the pair. Same price as the « large » JBL M2, speakers system.
3) Quite Certain the 1237 is in that over-$20K price range per pair.

Peace.

3125b

Major Contributor
… that‘s 12000 a piece.
The Genelec 1237 are focused more towards high SPL than bass extension, they don‘t play as low nor do they have particularly good distortion performance.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
2) The Geithaib is more expensive, at $24,130 for the pair. Same price as the « large » JBL M2, speakers system.

Peace.
Oops I thought per pair
… that‘s 12000 a piece.
The Genelec 1237 are focused more towards high SPL than bass extension, they don‘t play as low nor do they have particularly good distortion performance.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Peace.
Much less
Screenshot_20230407_143425_Chrome.jpg

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
… that‘s 12000 a piece.
And still some claim that their better than the Ones for some reason
I have no idea never heard them

Ellebob

Forum Donor
We have installed the 1238 and 1236 and while not as refined as the ones their dynamics are much better. By dynamics, I don't mean how loud they play, but their attack seems so much more lively. The ones are still my personal favorite but there is something about their dynamics I can see some being addicted to.
I remember the customer with the 1236 he was demoing the 8351 (8361 was not out yet), and S360 and when he heard the 1236 he was like that's it! He loved that lively sound.
BTW, we met him at Genelec for the demo, we don't have these big boys kicking around just for demo.

Digby

Major Contributor
There’s the option to wall mount them. I’m considering that approach
Still gonna be pretty ugly on the wall, as they are soooo deep. Maybe with a false wall, an infinite baffle?

for what I do I wouldn't want or need anything bigger...
I'm sure they are excellent speakers. It is really only an aesthetic argument I am making. I suppose if someone has the money for these kind of speakers, then they might also be pretty picky about aesthetics.

Personally, I don't like speakers plonked on the floor away from walls, worse still on stands, from an aesthetic point of view. I suppose a pair of really big speakers like JBL M2s, makes some kind of statement, as two huge monoliths (stereolith?) in the room. They're not liable to be pushed over/bumped by boisterous children, alcohol enjoying adults or pets either.

Last edited:

paudio

Still gonna be pretty ugly on the wall, as they are soooo deep. Maybe with a false wall, an infinite baffle?

I'm sure they are excellent speakers. It is really only an aesthetic argument I am making. I suppose if someone has the money for these kind of speakers, then they might also be pretty picky about aesthetics.

Personally, I don't like speakers plonked on the floor away from walls, worse still on stands, from an aesthetic point of view. I suppose a pair of really big speakers like JBL M2s, makes some kind of statement, as two huge monoliths (stereolith?) in the room. They're not liable to be pushed over/bumped by boisterous children, alcohol enjoying adults or pets either.
I think they look pretty good. I'm pretty utilitarian though. I think in wall infinite baffle would be great. Super fancy finishes aren't really my thing. I like something simpler and durable usually.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Resistance is futile.
1681466481763.png

Muddywaters

Forum Donor

Eye of the beholder I guess. Depends somewhat on the room use requirements.

I’m repeatedly surprised and bemused at how much aesthetics/appearance impacts our audio decisions.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they look pretty good. I'm pretty utilitarian though. I think in wall infinite baffle would be great. Super fancy finishes aren't really my thing. I like something simpler and durable usually.
Aluminum? ;)
:p
Peace

Reactions: CMB

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning

...I suppose a pair of really big speakers like JBL M2s, makes some kind of statement...
they are not used to make a statement and aesthetics are not a consideration - these speakers are precision working tools (nothing more)... installed in the control room of a recording studio in a separate building on my property... I use genelecs for nearfields...

Last edited:
Top Bottom