• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 490 93.5%

• Total voters

paudio

Hello LTig,
The grilles for KH 420 and O 410 are mechanically the same. Just packaging, name and the included Logo of course are different.
The KH 420 grille is a current product and should be available.

Best regards,
Markus
Awesome mystery solved. Thanks everyone!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello LTig,
The grilles for KH 420 and O 410 are mechanically the same. Just packaging, name and the included Logo of course are different.
The KH 420 grille is a current product and should be available.

Best regards,
Markus
Thanks for chiming in. May I ask if it's the same with the grills for O300D and KH310? Just in case I need to replace my O300Ds from 2004 ... (still going strong, knock on wood :))

BTW: thanks for your advice via telephone some late evening in 2004! Really appreciate this.:)

Markus @ Neumann

Audio Company
Thanks for chiming in. May I ask if it's the same with the grills for O300D and KH310? Just in case I need to replace my O300Ds from 2004 ... (still going strong, knock on wood :))

BTW: thanks for your advice via telephone some late evening in 2004! Really appreciate this.:)
Hello,

You’re welcome.
Yes, the same is true for the KH310 grilles.

Best regards,

Markus

paudio

There is a pair of KH420 + KH870 on reverb right now for 12K CAD. Epic deal.

I managed to order some KH420 grills for my O410s not sure when they'll end up coming in. Almost $1100 CAD

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20230322_235854_Reddit.jpg

Saw this on Reddit

Huang Jerry

wow... I'm pleasantly surprised to read Amir's reviews of thing(s) I actually own and use - these Neumann 420(s) as well as other stuff (Genelecs - Benchmark dacs - a few other things)... so "thanks" Amir... these current 420(s) are my fourth pair of Klein+Hummels (now Neumann) going back over four decades... my original o92 pair are still working...
I am unspeakably jealous of your fine collection.
By the way K+H speakers are just too cool. Hope Neumann finally get around to reboot the venerable K+H O500C

paudio

Well I got my KH420 grills and got em installed. Nice black grills. Can still see speakers through them in person.

The 20 itty bitty sticky felt pieces that you are supposed to use on the grill rails though are not very good. When sliding the grills on the speakers if one of those gets stuck it will take the rest of them with it. Can't really see it happening either so it's hard to avoid. For $1000 worth of grills there should be a lot more mounting foam tape or something.

I remove all the messed up felt bits and replaced them with several layers of electric tape folded over the rails and reinstalled. The felt things are really not durable enough for even the initial mounting. Let alone putting them on and off a few times. This should be much more robust.

The felt pieces are to isolate the grill from the speaker enclosure inside the rails to avoid rattling and damaging the enclosure.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I still don't understand how metal can be acoustically transparent

HuubFranssen

I agree, the stupid little stickers do not work at all. I use the grills only when my destructive grandchildren are in the house. The sound quality does suffer from the monumental grilles (I think).

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder if anyone compared Neumann KH420 with JBL M2. KH420 must be great LCR for cinema room. Neumann 310 on surrounds, good Atmos ceiling speakers, good subwoofers - not exactly from Neumann, and that would be probably fantastic home theater, and not crazy expensive. I could go this way.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
I wonder if anyone compared Neumann KH420 with JBL M2. KH420 must be great LCR for cinema room. Neumann 310 on surrounds, good Atmos ceiling speakers, good subwoofers - not exactly from Neumann, and that would be probably fantastic home theater, and not crazy expensive. I could go this way.
M2 without a doubt can go louder - like, way louder. That said, for home cinema - yeah, the 420s would probably be fine.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Digby

Major Contributor
I think once you get to speakers the size of KH420, you might as well go for really BIG speakers, in that once they are on stands, they are almost as obtrusive as a JBL M2.

I know they are a professional speaker, but in the home if you want a large speaker + stands, you might as well do away with the stands and have a LARGE speaker.

Top Bottom