• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 487 93.5%

• Total voters

smcc

I hear a cleaner midrange and much deeper bass with the Neumann. That’s not to say the ATC are not a quality product , it’s just the Neumann’s are so good.
Wow that's some compliment, the ATC midrange drivers are supposed to be legendary...I'm guessing the waveguide on midrange must really help...I have the 310s...it looks like the same driver...

What about the tweeter on the Neumanns vs. ATC? I'm guessing the ATCs are a bit brighter, i.e. less flat...but in terms of resolution/clarity/THD what would you say?

I'm blown away at the measurements here for the 420s...

DSJR

Major Contributor
I thought ATC was tops when it comes to midrange?
Thirty years ago, I'd say there was nothing on the domestic market to touch them and very little on the pro market too (open to being corrected here). ATC sell through dealers and domestic dealers want their pound of flesh, so price allowances have to be made sadly. Things have moved on obviously and 'sacrificing' a wood veneer, sourcing drivers very carefully and selling via lower margin distributors may well aid the price advantage Neumann currently has.

The ATC 50ASL does fit a medium size UK room rather well (it's like the classic Spendor BC1-on-steroids shape, but I can well imagine a shortage of bass in a larger US room as they don't boom (the 50ASL did have the bass and port re-tuned with the SL driver, but maybe not enough).

Are these 420's really 18" deep?

Aafnp

Thirty years ago, I'd say there was nothing on the domestic market to touch them and very little on the pro market too (open to being corrected here). ATC sell through dealers and domestic dealers want their pound of flesh, so price allowances have to be made sadly. Things have moved on obviously and 'sacrificing' a wood veneer, sourcing drivers very carefully and selling via lower margin distributors may well aid the price advantage Neumann currently has.

The ATC 50ASL does fit a medium size UK room rather well (it's like the classic Spendor BC1-on-steroids shape, but I can well imagine a shortage of bass in a larger US room as they don't boom (the 50ASL did have the bass and port re-tuned with the SL driver, but maybe not enough).

Are these 420's really 18" deep?
Yeah they’re really 18” deep. They are huge

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
KH420 used to be much cheaper than 8361 but unfortunately Neumann increased the price a lot.

Screenshot_20220602-042345_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220602-042326_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: CMB

Digby

Major Contributor
The pictures could be a bit more honest, the angle used makes them look about 10 or 11" deep. I bet some buy them and are shocked by the depth.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
The pictures could be a bit more honest, the angle used makes them look about 10 or 11" deep. I bet some buy them and are shocked by the depth.
I doubt anyone is shocked
Most buyers will be knowledgeable of the specs including size ‍♂️

Digby

Major Contributor
True, but seeing something on screen in 2D and owning it in 3D are different things.

mmi

This is what it's come to? We're nitpicking the angle of the stock photos?
I saw these on my phone and thought WOW such power for 4cm tall speakers!!!! I thought the $750 shipping was a bit high but YOLO so I clicked buy. You can imagine how shocked I was when they arrived and were 3000 times bigger than I had imagined and had no Bluetooth!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Why do they need to be so deep?
Is that why they have more bass output than 8361?

test1223

Why do they need to be so deep?
Is that why they have more bass output than 8361?
You can only get two of the following three characteristics:
- deep bass
- loud bass
- small enclosure

With a bigger enclosure you can get better bass. If the enclosure is very small compared to the amount of bass (amount of air moved) the air spring of the enclosure gets more none linear and with bass reflex port noises are much more likely.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's very weird that they don't look that deep in every photo
View attachment 210913

They are 13" wide and 17.5" deep. So that photo looks accurate to me, they are clearly deeper than they are wide. And if you know they have a 10" woofer well then you know the scale.

Genelecs are 4" less deep but like... Who actually cares about the depth of a large stand mount? It doesn't matter at all for most situations. Width is usually the restricting factor.

Top Bottom