• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 487 93.5%

• Total voters

Vintage57

Forum Donor
FWIW
I never turn mine off.
The KH 420’s have been on for over 5 years.
My ATC’s in my HT have been on for 20 years
Keeping all circuits from being shut down prolonging the life of the components

MikeP

Hi
Past week I acquired a pair of 420 , I love them.
But I have noticed that on one unit when you turn it on it makes a mini pop sound.
is this normal?
On the other unit it doesn't sound as loud but it does.
The sound is fantastic on both units, but I'm afraid this will damage the speaker.

I turn on the speakers with all the volumes at zero, I have also changed plugs and power wiring, the same speaker always does it.
If you're located in Europe and using schuko plugs, try reversing the plugs in their socket (swapping phase and neutral connections). In my case, it helped. Initially, I had a small pop every time I turned on the units. Then, after doing the final cabling, observing the correct phase connection at the IEC input plug, it went away. Now, they are completely silent at power on. Hope it helps.

Jaxjax

This is the sound I'm referring to
That sounds as if a preamp relay is going off then power up pop. Is your preamp already on .? 420 turned on last ? I would just leave it on . Do they still do it when coming out of sleep mode when signal is applied?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
FWIW
I never turn mine off.
The KH 420’s have been on for over 5 years.
My ATC’s in my HT have been on for 20 years
Keeping all circuits from being shut down prolonging the life of the components
Wow, you are burning 120W idle power 24/7 for 5 years just because of a hypothetical longer component life?
This means around 5,000 kwh - in my country between 1,500 and 2,500 EUR.

Shadow Dancer

If you're located in Europe and using schuko plugs, try reversing the plugs in their socket (swapping phase and neutral connections). In my case, it helped. Initially, I had a small pop every time I turned on the units. Then, after doing the final cabling, observing the correct phase connection at the IEC input plug, it went away. Now, they are completely silent at power on. Hope it helps.
thank you so much!
I'll try it this afternoon

Shadow Dancer

That sounds as if a preamp relay is going off then power up pop. Is your preamp already on .? 420 turned on last ? I would just leave it on . Do they still do it when coming out of sleep mode when signal is applied?
No
the speaker is off and only does so when I turn it on.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Wow, you are burning 120W idle power 24/7 for 5 years just because of a hypothetical longer component life?
This means around 5,000 kwh - in my country between 1,500 and 2,500 EUR.

It’s only about €400 for me. Or less than €7 per month.

What is your point?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
It’s only about €400 for me. Or less than €7 per month.

What is your point?
My point is that if you don't live in a country with clean and cheap energy - like Canada or Norway -, it is not a good idea leaving devices with 60W idle power consumption per piece on 24/7 if you are not using them.

Top Bottom