• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I dunno - for you, they aren't Genelecs.

Personally, I'll take the lower IMD of 3 ways over other stuff.
Jokes and measurements aside
Having heard them side by side, Neumann and Genelec sound really different.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dunno - for you, they aren't Genelecs.

Personally, I'll take the lower IMD of 3 ways over other stuff.
I usually also do, but on the other hand the directivity of KH150 is better so for normal SPLs I would might even consider it. At a such high level duel a final listening session is recommendable.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is a better buy KH150 or KH310?

AFAIK, you have an untreated 3x4m room, very little interest in getting a subwoofer and even less interest and no experience in room acoustics or doing measurements in your room.

Also, you want a cheap, but state of the art system. Your dream speakers are the Genelec 8361, but they are too expensive. You are looking into other Genelec options, but they are also expensive and have drawbacks, like the more limited bass capability of the smaller Ones.

Because of this, i think for you the KH150 + MA1 would be better than the KH310.
  • I expect it to be way easier for you to get the KH150 + MA1 sound "right" in your room because of better directivity and the automatic alignment.
  • If you are getting the KH310 without the KH750+MA1, it will be difficult in your room - i think i know what i´m talking about. I think you will probably be disappointed.
  • If you don´t believe it, try for yourself, like @thewas wrote.
  • The KH150 is "state of the art" in the sense that it is currently the best in class product without any reasonable compromises or important drawbacks (that i know of). You can tell everyone you have a system in your room close to what´s possible within reasonable borders. It surely is "good enough" for every realistic pro or non-pro use case in a small room.
  • You can make a good start for around 3,400 EUR (2 KH150+MA1 using bundle options), but you could easily add 1 or 2 KH750 later, if needed (i suspect so). So, for around 5,000 EUR you can get a fullrange system, that is very close to what´s possible in a small room. Most importantly, you may get out of your obsessive (sorry, but this is how it looks) loop of searching for "the" best speaker.
  • From there on, the most important limiting factor is the room itself. A lot can be achieved with treatments, though.
  • If you want it to be even better, you´d have to invest much more money: e.g. for a Genelec One (+GLM and Sub) system, a multisub system or something like Kii or D&D 8c. I don´t know any of those speakers, but i doubt any of this will be worth it in a small room like yours.

Last edited:

tknx

So… having read every single post in this thread- what would be the equivalent Genelec One? The 8341a?

Curvature

Major Contributor
No KH80 or KH150 EASE files posted on the Neumann website.

Would it be worth it contacting Neumann directly?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
AFAIK, you have an untreated 3x4m room, very little interest in getting a subwoofer and even less interest and no experience in room acoustics or doing measurements in your room.

Also, you want a cheap, but state of the art system. Your dream speakers are the Genelec 8361, but they are too expensive. You are looking into other Genelec options, but they are also expensive and have drawbacks, like the more limited bass capability of the smaller Ones.

Because of this, i think for you the KH150 + MA1 would be better than the KH310.
  • I expect it to be way easier for you to get the KH150 + MA1 sound "right" in your room because of better directivity and the automatic alignment.
  • If you are getting the KH310 without the KH750+MA1, it will be difficult in your room - i think i know what i´m talking about. I think you will probably be disappointed.
  • If you don´t believe it, try for yourself, like @thewas wrote.
  • The KH150 is "state of the art" in the sense that it is currently the best in class product without any reasonable compromises or important drawbacks (that i know of). You can tell everyone you have a system in your room close to what´s possible within reasonable borders. It surely is "good enough" for every realistic pro or non-pro use case in a small room.
  • You can make a good start for around 3,400 EUR (2 KH150+MA1 using bundle options), but you could easily add 1 or 2 KH750 later, if needed (i suspect so). So, for around 5,000 EUR you can get a fullrange system, that is very close to what´s possible in a small room. Most importantly, you may get out of your obsessive (sorry, but this is how it looks) loop of searching for "the" best speaker.
  • From there on, the most important limiting factor is the room itself. A lot can be achieved with treatments, though.
  • If you want it to be even better, you´d have to invest much more money: e.g. for a Genelec One (+GLM and Sub) system, a multisub system or something like Kii or D&D 8c. I don´t know any of those speakers, but i doubt any of this will be worth it in a small room like yours.
Thank you very much
Really appreciate your help:)

tuga

Major Contributor
The KH150 is "state of the art" in the sense that it is currently the best in class product without any reasonable compromises or important drawbacks (that i know of). You can tell everyone you have a system in your room close to what´s possible within reasonable borders. It surely is "good enough" for every realistic pro or non-pro use case in a small room.

I would be interested in seeing measurements of the partnering (on-board) electronics.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Weird
They've been available for some time now and i haven't seen a single review anywhere including other forums /sites/ YouTube etc

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
In this video the guy from Neumann says it's basically a KH310 in a smaller and more affordable package.
I'm not sure it's correct, I'd take the extra driver + extra amp vs the DSP

Top Bottom