• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

SlothRock

I also don’t care about the material in relation to sound. It doesn’t impact the sound in my opinion at all. But it does help Neumann cut costs. So why doesn’t any of that cost cutting come down to the consumer? They get to save by using plastic vs metal and charge us $1000/speaker more for what feels like an iPhone 12 to iPhone 13 type of upgrade.

I will eat my words entirely if 3rd party measurements really do put this close to KH310 territory and it is a revolution in 2 way design that has no equal

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would bet that a lot of the high prices are from dealers who haven’t been able to get a firm order into Neumann yet. They want to have the speaker on their site but they need to “pad” the price a little because they don’t know what their final invoice costs will be when they get their inventory (but this is just speculation).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
1. Aluminum is much better than Plastic, i don't care what anyone says, not just for SQ, also Durability and it just feels much more premium.
2.Thanks for all who mentioned the high price.
The KH310 was not long ago priced lower than the KH150 which doesn't make sense at all.
So yeah i still think they are priced very high.
Also I would appreciate a cheaper version of the KH150 without DSP.

ccc118

1. Aluminum is much better than Plastic, i don't care what anyone says, not just for SQ, also Durability and it just feels much more premium.
2.Thanks for all who mentioned the high price.
The KH310 was not long ago priced lower than the KH150 which doesn't make sense at all.
So yeah i still think they are priced very high.
Also I would appreciate a cheaper version of the KH150 without DSP.
I have a pair of KH120's and between the aluminum housing and the metal grilles, they feel total bulletproof, so I know what you mean.

ccc118

I don’t know how anyone justifies a $1000/speaker price difference between this and the KH120. They offer DSP, sure. They offer class D, great. They’re using cheaper plastic material vs metal, not great. They offer 1.25 inch more woofer size on each speaker. In no world does that = $2000 extra (for two speakers) over the 120 in my mind unless these defy space and time altogether and produce audio nirvana the likes of which my ears can never recover from.

I was suspecting an additional $500/speaker which I think is more in line with the minor subwoofer bump in size, the DSP features and class D. Would much rather spend $1650 on the KH 750 sub and blow these guys out of the water paired with the KH120’s while still saving $500
Since there is a rumored KH120 II, I'm guessing that it will be priced higher than the current KH120 and there will be less of a gap. Just a guess though.

dominikz

Forum Donor
Food for thought, here's how equivalent products from Genelec are priced compared to Neumann prices (prices taken from Thomann DE):

- Neumann KH120A (679€) is 26% more expensive than the equivalent Genelec 8030C (539€)
- Neumann KH150 (1599€) is 18% more expensive than the equivalent Genelec 8340A (1359€).

Or another view:
- Genelec 8340A costs 2.52 times as much as 8030C
- Neumann KH150 costs 2.35 times as much as KH120A

tktran303

Forum Donor
Buy it or don’t buy it I don’t see the point of complaining.

It’s a new product and the market determines the pricing.

Ilkless is correct it IS competitive with (better at some frequencies, worse at others) with the PTT 6.5X-04. Either they are using a customised Purifi midwoofer or taken a leaf out of Purifi’s new technology.

This is the only 6.5” 2 way I would buy.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what are you basically saying
That all 3-way speakers are redundant and 2-way is enough?
For the M-2 , JBL seems to think it is ... the JBL M2 is not made of Aluminum, either... so two strikes... it is likely not a good speaker..o_O:rolleyes:

tktran303

Forum Donor
Have a look JBL 4367, on Erin’s audio corner, it’s arguable even better than the M2.

I’d take the Salon 2 over that ugly M2 any day ending with a Y.

And have we forgotten about Project Everest?

Makes M2 look like a poverty package.

Reactions: GDK

lowkeyoperations

I don’t know how anyone justifies a $1000/speaker price difference between this and the KH120. They offer DSP, sure. They offer class D, great. They’re using cheaper plastic material vs metal, not great. They offer 1.25 inch more woofer size on each speaker. In no world does that = $2000 extra (for two speakers) over the 120 in my mind unless these defy space and time altogether and produce audio nirvana the likes of which my ears can never recover from.

I was suspecting an additional $500/speaker which I think is more in line with the minor subwoofer bump in size, the DSP features and class D. Would much rather spend $1650 on the KH 750 sub and blow these guys out of the water paired with the KH120’s while still saving $500
I wish it was only $1000 per speaker extra.
Here in Australia it’s $2400 per speaker more.
A mere $4,800 a pair price hike :/
That’s more than triple the price.

KH120s were very popular here for their performance/price ratio. I guess the 150s are in a whole different category. I suppose the lower sales volume also increases the R&D component of each pair.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Sorry, it is not my intention to anoy anyone but let's stop complaining about the pricing of a product, which has not been released yet, which isn't measured by a third party and of which we don't know the real (street)prices.

Not to mention (again!) inflation and increasing prices almost everywhere in the world today for almost everything.

Yes, it's a pity and I am also a average guy with an average income and I would like to see the price a little bit less steep but that's life: let's move on ;)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Sorry, it is not my intention to anoy anyone but let's stop complaining about the pricing of a product, which has not been released yet, which isn't measured by a third party and of which we don't know the real (street)prices.

Not to mention (again!) inflation and increasing prices almost everywhere in the world today for almost everything.

Yes, it's a pity and I am also a average guy with an average income and I would like to see the price a little bit less steep but that's life: let's move on ;)
We do know it's 6.5 and not aluminum, so i figure it's OK to criticize the price because we can compare it to other similar monitors.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
For the M-2 , JBL seems to think it is ... the JBL M2 is not made of Aluminum, either... so two strikes... it is likely not a good speaker..o_O:rolleyes:
If the KH150 had a 15 inch woofer I would have let the plastic cabinet thing slide.

oversky

The KH150 seems to be bigger than the KH120. Based on the names of some files i found in a subfolder of my new MA1-installation i guess they plan to release a KH120II as well. Just speculating, but probably the KH120 + DSP and AES67.

View attachment 202926
Pictures are placeholders, by the way, they all show the KH80. I am only referring to the filenames. I guess what these 3 (750, 120II, 150) have in common is that there are AES67 versions planned. No further info though, just speculating. But seems reasonable after the info about the KH150.

In KH150 AES manual, KH120 II AES67 is listed.
Comparing to the original version,
The full load power consumption is increased from 200W to 320W.
The weight is decreased from 6.4 kg to 5.4 kg.

si1oUMl.png

KH 120 (original version)
LKn4PyW.png

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Pearljam5000

Seriously, any data that would prove that aluminum enclosure are automatically superior to Plastic? You know that plastic is an umbrella term that covers also, material that can be made to be more durable than metals? And that most of these can stay in their initial formulation for thousands of years?
You cannot just dismiss a material by its name...
A 3-way is not automatically superior to a 2-way. There is much more to speaker designs than those, especially with DSP...

One of the founding principles of ASR is that the scientific data must support the intellectual position. If you can present the data that prove that enclosure made of aluminum are superior to same enclosure made of plastic.... well .. OK... So far you haven't. Argument such as "I don't care what people say " belongs to a different forum... Please present your data.

(and get those JBL 308 ... at less than $600.oo)

Peace...

Curvature

Major Contributor
I wish it was only $1000 per speaker extra.
Here in Australia it’s $2400 per speaker more.
A mere $4,800 a pair price hike :/
That’s more than triple the price.

KH120s were very popular here for their performance/price ratio. I guess the 150s are in a whole different category. I suppose the lower sales volume also increases the R&D component of each pair.
The KH150s are priced equivalently to the older, technically inferior ADAM S2Vs:

The woofer size is likely the same or close because the 7" ADAM advertises refers to the basket diameter.

Neumann targeted the current market prices. PSI Audio is always more expensive than something equivalent, for example, and KRKs are always cheaper.

lowkeyoperations

^and Neumann always USED to be good value compared to their competitors.

You had to spend considerably more than the KH120s to get up to the next level in performance.
And the KH120s were considerably better than other monitors for the same price.

The KH310s seem to be like that too.

Hopefully the KH150s can continue that tradition. At $6,800 it might be hard.

For a starters the KH310s would probably not be completely outclassed by the KH150s.

But time will tell. Perhaps they are truly next level for the price, the same way the 120s were when they were released.

Top Bottom