• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But it's still weird there isn't more feedback and buzz around them
I mean it's a 2 way monitor after all, not a time machine or black hole generator

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome videos. Can't wait to see the soccer panther next to a KH150 in the front page of ASR.

Slyman

Oh man i'm hyped about these. About to land my first real job and finally can pay for the neumann monitors i've been looking at for years...

The question then becomes what packs better value for audio production: Pair of kh150 or kh80 + kh750 sub. Ofcourse the sub goes lower and kh80 doesn't go super loud, but +-3 at 39hz and the easiness of just 2 speakers on the desk that aren't that huge seems very tempting. In production you sit quite close to the desk and subwoofer placement can be awkward. Anyone thinking the same or has some input in regards to that choice?

Upgrading from Presonus Eris E5 so hoping for an audible improvement!

Looking forward to the review!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The question then becomes what packs better value for audio production: Pair of kh150 or kh80 + kh750 sub. Ofcourse the sub goes lower and kh80 doesn't go super loud, but +-3 at 39hz and the easiness of just 2 speakers on the desk that aren't that huge seems very tempting.
In fact, I think the KH150 will do better than the sub on average with music content. This is the subs THD:
1669555759940.gif

Green is 3%, blue is 1%, red is 10%.

Vs a single KH150:
Maximum_SPL_at_1_m.svg

You’ll gain a few more dB when in a pair.

Yes, the sub goes deeper, but for most music, that’s not even needed. Also, two bass sources will get more even response than one.

A single KH750 cannot keep up with a pair of KH150’s

Slyman

In fact, I think the KH150 will do better than the sub on average with music content. This is the subs THD:
View attachment 246234
Green is 3%, blue is 1%, red is 10%.

Vs a single KH150:
Maximum_SPL_at_1_m.svg

You’ll gain a few more dB when in a pair.

Yes, the sub goes deeper, but for most music, that’s not even needed. Also, two bass sources will get more even response than one.

A single KH750 cannot keep up with a pair of KH150’s
Thank you for an excellent reply. May i ask though, is THD only relevant at high SPL? Asking cause in near field monitoring you usually don't push SPL.

Also for most music is a complex statement. For example i really enjoy making and listening to hiphop and house music. And arguably theres valueable content in 30-40hz in these music genres. However the sub goes down to -18hz, and 20hz-30hz is a questionable range where its maybe more about feel than actual "i need to hear the root bass note of that 808". So the question becomes how deep is good enough? -3 at 39hz? -3 at 35hz? -3 at 32hz? Difficult question... Like the kh80 goes down to 57hz at -3 which even isn't that bad, but compared to "full range" systems u dont feel the bass. I think it's very easy to get lost in the numbers (lower hz is better) compared to what your ear (and body) actually want or need to hear?

Many people also say that an advantage of a subwoofer is placement in regards to bass, but then they also say that 2 subwoofers are optimal. In general if you sit nearfield on a desk i have kinda a hard time imaging subwoofer placement to be an easy thing tho?

Again thanks for your reply!

The only problem might be that a pair of kh150 is actually more expensive than the kh80+750 by 500-100eur or something :)

Edit: Just realized... It's a 6,5" monitor that goes to 39 at -3? Like the Kali LP-6 goes to -3 at 47hz. 39hz is 8" woofer territory... like hs8 or alpha 80.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for an excellent reply. May i ask though, isn't THD only relevant at high SPL? Asking cause in near field monitoring you usually don't push SPL.
Well, THD scales with volume, but not exactly linear. Low distortion at high SPL, will mean lower distortion at even lower SPL. In general
Also for most music is a complex statement. For example i really enjoy making and listening to hiphop and house music. And arguably theres valueable content in 30-40hz in these music genres. However the sub goes down to -18hz, and IMO 20hz-30hz is a questionable range where its maybe more about feel than actual "i need to hear the root bass note of that 808".
I would not except any meaningful output at 18 Hz from a 10” woofer. But sure, if you like music with lower frequencies, your choice may be different.
So the question becomes how deep is good enough? -6 at 35hz? Difficult question... Like the kh80 goes down to 57hz at -3 which even isn't that bad, but compared to "full range" systems u dont feel the bass.
The KH80 has massive distortion below 200 Hz. It really is for very close listening only.
I think it's very easy to get lost in the numbers (lower hz is better) compared to what your ear (and body) actually want or need to hear?
It’s always best to go and listen, as you’ve experienced lately.
Many people also say that an advantage of a subwoofer is placement in regards to bass, but then they also say that 2 subwoofers are optimal. In general if you sit nearfield on a desk i have kinda a hard time imaging subwoofer placement to be an easy thing tho?
Given the limited output of the KH80, definitely. With KH120 it should be easier.
The only problem might be that a pair of kh150 is actually more expensive than the kh80+750 by 500-100eur or something :)
Choices…

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The question then becomes what packs better value for audio production: Pair of kh150 or kh80 + kh750 sub.
If you don't listen very close (less than 1.5 m distance) go for the KH150.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Kh150 costs More than 8050B(8 inch and aluminum vs 6.5 inch )
Not sure why

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
someone on an US-American hobbyist audio tech board
That can’t possibly be ASR… A poll showed that in fact most people (that voted) claim to be from Europe:

Top Bottom