• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am so tired of this constant unsubstantiated and uninformed crying about the price. One member (@Pearljam5000) has already poisened more than half of this thread with this topic.
Why don't you contribute something useful, for example comparing the specs of the 8040 or of the Kh120/310 to the KH150, now that we have them?
With what you are doing for more than a year now, you just suck off the work, time, energy and patience of others.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What's good about raising prices even on products that are 10 years old?
You know the possible answers: because we live in a world of constantly rising prices (that's the law of capitalism and, at the very moment, of shortage of many things) and of course Neumann has every right to charge what they want and what the customers are willing to pay. And having a new model to close the gap between the smallish 120 and the bigger 310 they simply adjust their prices!

I am not happy about their price policy either since I am on the fence to place an order but it all comes down to: is it worth it for me? So please stop complaining and order a pair. Or don't: it's up to you....

Peace

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Glad they didn’t say the old LH 61 bracket is incompatible with the KH150. So those who use it should be fine if ever upgrading monitors.

The LH 61 (L bracket) was updated, because the KH 150 is a bit heavier/larger than the KH 120…

I find that a little bit hard to believe because the LH61 bracket was only changed when the KH80 came out — or maybe even before that — correct me if I’m wrong!

I’ve also had my LSR305 sit atop the KH120 with said bracket for more than a year just fine.

Although it is possible that the new one is more resilient to “give” in the angle adjustment mechanism overtime and has more space in the bottom, I suspect part of the reason why the older LH 61 bracket (seems over-engineered/heavier and more complex tooling) got replaced was that it had to be more expensive to produce.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I am so tired of this constant unsubstantiated and uninformed crying about the price. One member (@Pearljam5000) has already poisened more than half of this thread with this topic.
Why don't you contribute something useful, for example comparing the specs of the 8040 or of the Kh120/310 to the KH150, now that we have them?
With what you are doing for more than a year now, you just suck off the work, time, energy and patience of others.
Criticizing is not "poisoning" and all that other stuff you wrote
Like I said not long ago Neumann products were much cheaper Genelec products, now in many cases its not the case.
I just don't see the justification here, especially raising the prices by that much on products that are relatively very old.
The KH150 is a brand new model with new tech , fine charge whatever you want it makes sense , I'm still bummed the cabinet is not aluminum but can live with it.
I really wanted the KH310 now not so much because of the price increase, not all of us have endless amounts of money and to some people here every $ counts.
Obviously Neumann makes amazing products, I just don't like the price increase and as a consumer with little money I have a right to feel that way.

lherrm

Like I said not long ago Neumann products were much cheaper Genelec products, now in many cases its not the case.
I just don't see the justification here, especially raising the prices by that much on products that are relatively very old.
The KH150 is a brand new model with new tech , fine charge whatever you want it makes sense , I'm still bummed the cabinet is not aluminum but can live with it.
I really wanted the KH310 now not so much because of the price increase, not all of us have endless amounts of money and to some people here every $ counts.
Obviously Neumann makes amazing products, I just don't like the price increase and as a consumer with little money I have a right to feel that way.
Please have a look out of your room and checkout what's happening in the world : war, climate crisis, shortage, inflation all over.
Most goods and service have increased their prices. Those who haven't will sooner rather than later.
It's inevitable and everybody, manufacturers as customers, are undergoing it.
Complaining about price increases is pretty much useless in such a context.

Edit : if you really want to have this discussion, make a dedicated thread.

F1308

Major Contributor
I think perhaps good reviews showing great performance might be part of the price rise...

From a product barely noticed but by a few to a product placed in front of very many eyes, having high scores and being recommended; therefore providing peace of mind to the customer, no need to look elsewhere.

Once great results are shown on a product our minds tend to think the rest of the line production should offer the same quality, why not, and then the process starts: good ratings, high demand, price increments.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
were cheaper than Genelecs
I must have missed this xD, but what is the basis for such statement? Which models do you compare? The kh120 is a little big bigger (4.25 against 4) than the 8030 and it's a bit more expensive, so I would say they are priced quite similarly, or the kh120 it's a bit more expensive. The kh80 has the same woofer size as the 8020 but has DSP, and it's about 70 € more expensive, and has the same price more or less as the 8320, with DSP. I find other models quite hard to compare. What I'm missing?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I must have missed this xD, but what is the basis for such statement? Which models do you compare? The kh120 is a little big bigger (4.25 against 4) than the 8030 and it's a bit more expensive, so I would say they are priced quite similarly, or the kh120 it's a bit more expensive. The kh80 has the same woofer size as the 8020 but has DSP, and it's about 70 € more expensive, and has the same price more or less as the 8320, with DSP. I find other models quite hard to compare. What I'm missing?
KH420 was cheaper than 8361 now about the same if not more.
The KH150 costs almost as the 8350 which is an 8 inch not 6.5, both with DSP etc

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
F
The KH150 costs almost as the 8350 which is an 8 inch not 6.5, both with DSP etc
Following your logic you should hurry up and buy the speaker with the 8 inch bass driver before price rises...

And just to mention: there's a zillion of 6, 5 inch woofers, which are more expensive than another zillion of 8 inch drivers. And the 6, 5 inch drivers may be better sounding than the 8 inch drivers for, of course, another zillion of reasons.

So please stop complaining about this 8 and 6,5 inch thing.... Please.

Back on topic: I would really like to see measurements of the Midbass driver alone and the resulting TSP and distortion figures. This would reveal a lot about whether Neumann reaches its goals starting with high quality drivers or with the magic help of DSP...

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Europe, where both brands make their speakers, the kh420 is about 4.590 € and the 8361 about 4.980 €, so the Neumann is still cheaper. They aren't comparable really, but there you have it... As for the kh150, it goes as deep as the 8350, so if price is for frequency response, which is more important than driver size (right? ;)), then they are priced (in Europe) more or less equally.

To me, frankly, there is no case here.

This is my naive attempt to close this discussion. :)

yourmando

I just found out about the KH 150s—very exciting! I currently use KH 310s as LCRs and KH 120s as surrounds, along with 3 dual opposed 12” subs.

I was looking to set up another tv room, and the KH 150s could work very well there.

From the specs, it looks like they slot in exactly the same place as the KH 310s, especially if used with subs. Same recommended listening distance of 1-2.5m, same max listening distance, similar max SPL, etc. Just in a more compact package and likely tighter DSP eq tolerances and linear phase.

I’m keen to follow, though I’m a bit bummed to see this thread spammed with so much trolling. I’m looking forward to seeing any more data, tests, listening impressions, etc.

Even if they are the same price as the KH 310s here in the US ($2500 as of today), the KH 150s would still be well worth the cost for me. It’s all about use case and I’ll be setting these up in a bit smaller room with multiple subs. So in this room, if we get similar performance to the 310s they are actually worth more to me for their form factor.

Pritaudio

Kh150 Neumann specs state no equalisation via the Neumann.Control software. Presumably the iPad app too.
will have to use ma1 software with mic to make adjustments outside the physical toggle switches at the back of the monitors.

shame as kh80 and kh750 sub can be used with the iPad app.

Pritaudio

Also the latency in digital/analogue conversions have a slightly higher latency than the kh80’s too.
hopefully won’t have any lip sync issues when used alongside the dsp features.

Curvature

Major Contributor
neumann 90 dB SPL THD comparison.png

Comparison of published Neumann data of THD at 90 dB SPL.

Top Bottom