• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well I cannot really audition them in my living room as he lives about 2 hours by car away from me. He says that he sells them because he is moving and they do not fit with his new office furniture. They are loaded and for him this is more of a gadget.
Ah, fair enough. Does seem like a good deal. Which colour are they? The Green Lotus ones look awesome, as do the blue in my opinion.

Dhomo

Ah, fair enough. Does seem like a good deal. Which colour are they? The Green Lotus ones look awesome, as do the blue in my opinion.
They are grey so the colour I would choose anyway. But yeah honestly I do not think with my 4 meters distance that I would really benefit from the coax design and I have neighbours so deep bass can be an issue.

Ze Frog

But the real question is are they worth the price when you can get 8040/8050s a lot cheaper`?
I'd say yes, measure flatter and DSP. If I was to go with Genelec it would have to be the 8340 or 8350. I'm leaning towards the Neumann's though, just because the distortion and frequency response measurements.

Both the 83xx Genelec's and the Neumann KH 120's or 150's are insane value when you consider that's amplification sorted as well, in my mind at least.

Ze Frog

Will Thomann ever have a sale price on them?
Did they have in the past ?
Highly doubt these will go on any sale where there is a marked difference. When you look at a pair of speakers with a somewhat similar target frequency response, then 300W total in amplification that is DSP capable, can it be done cheaper? I doubt it.

A little while ago I was looking at the Kef R3's with a Lyngdorf TDAI 1120, that £4000 for a lesser package in many regards, but was the cheapest Hi-fi route to overall flat FR response, room correction, bass management etc etc.

The value on these monitors are totally insane when you think about it, I'm actually amazed more people aren't using these for Hi-fi listening.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Highly doubt these will go on any sale where there is a marked difference. When you look at a pair of speakers with a somewhat similar target frequency response, then 300W total in amplification that is DSP capable, can it be done cheaper? I doubt it.

A little while ago I was looking at the Kef R3's with a Lyngdorf TDAI 1120, that £4000 for a lesser package in many regards, but was the cheapest Hi-fi route to overall flat FR response, room correction, bass management etc etc.

The value on these monitors are totally insane when you think about it, I'm actually amazed more people aren't using these for Hi-fi listening.
I asked in the context of earlier comments saying they were on sale for around €600 cheaper

Ze Frog

I asked in the context of earlier comments saying they were on sale for around €600 cheaper
Weren't those people with discounts due to friends or family or accounts with certain sellers? Here in UK, not really much variance in price. Can get new for £2599 with MA1 which is best currently, a pretty good deal really as it is. Will certainly keep an eye on price though, although I'm not expecting to pay less than that. It's actually quite close to KH 310 territory, I have wondered if the KH 310 would be worth the extra money, but my conclusion is no. KH150 reaches nearly as low, less distortion, added DSP and better dispersion for use outside of a monitoring situation.

Genelec's 3340 is also sort of tempting at £900 each, but then does GLM make them as flat as the Neumann, and do they have such flattering measurements? Not much regarding them online that I can find. Other thing with going with those is the matching subwoofer at price of KH 750 doesn't go as low and is ported, prefer sealed myself so likely not really for me. If once I make the space, if money is scarce I think I could work with the Genelec option though, both sides seem to offer incredible bang for the buck.

SlothRock

Weren't those people with discounts due to friends or family or accounts with certain sellers? Here in UK, not really much variance in price. Can get new for £2599 with MA1 which is best currently, a pretty good deal really as it is. Will certainly keep an eye on price though, although I'm not expecting to pay less than that. It's actually quite close to KH 310 territory, I have wondered if the KH 310 would be worth the extra money, but my conclusion is no. KH150 reaches nearly as low, less distortion, added DSP and better dispersion for use outside of a monitoring situation.

Genelec's 3340 is also sort of tempting at £900 each, but then does GLM make them as flat as the Neumann, and do they have such flattering measurements? Not much regarding them online that I can find. Other thing with going with those is the matching subwoofer at price of KH 750 doesn't go as low and is ported, prefer sealed myself so likely not really for me. If once I make the space, if money is scarce I think I could work with the Genelec option though, both sides seem to offer incredible bang for the buck.

I contacted a dealer in the US and haggled with them a bit to get the speakers for close to $300 off each ($550 off total). It's def possible but difficult. Makes the speakers even more worth it if you can get that type of deal. And I'll be getting rid of my KH120A's for about $1k soon as well so the total to upgrade over all wasn't too brutal

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I contacted a dealer in the US and haggled with them a bit to get the speakers for close to $300 off each ($550 off total). It's def possible but difficult. Makes the speakers even more worth it if you can get that type of deal. And I'll be getting rid of my KH120A's for about $1k soon as well so the total to upgrade over all wasn't too brutal
Is the KH150 a big upgrade over KH120?

dominikz

Forum Donor
Is the KH150 a big upgrade over KH120?
That depends on how important you find 5Hz more low frequency extension and a few extra dB of SPL in the 80-200Hz range. :)

If you often run KH120 into limiting, but not the KH150, then you'd be fair to say the upgrade is 'big'.

However if you're never bottoming out the KH120, and especially if you anyway use it with a sub (as you should be using either of these), then the KH150 is not really better at all (for your use-case).

Actually, I suspect that for desktop ultra-nearfield listening (i.e. at modest SPLs) even the KH80 plus KH750 sub would be just as good, and perhaps even better - due to the fact that the smaller drivers integrate better at really close listening distances.

The main difference between these monitors is physical size, SPL and low frequency extension.
The engineering-minded approach is to 1) define your SPL requirements, and 2) select the smallest loudspeaker that satisfies them. ;)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
That depends on how important you find 5Hz more low frequency extension and a few extra dB of SPL in the 80-200Hz range. :)

If you often run KH120 into limiting, but not the KH150, then you'd be fair to say the upgrade is 'big'.

However if you're never bottoming out the KH120, and especially if you anyway use it with a sub (as you should be using either of these), then the KH150 is not really better at all (for your use-case).

Actually, I suspect that for desktop ultra-nearfield listening (i.e. at modest SPLs) even the KH80 plus KH750 sub would be just as good, and perhaps even better - due to the fact that the smaller drivers integrate better at really close listening distances.

The main difference between these monitors is physical size, SPL and low frequency extension.
The engineering-minded approach is to 1) define your SPL requirements, and 2) select the smallest loudspeaker that satisfies them. ;)

Top Bottom