• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120A Ground Connect/Lift?

asrUser

Hi, I got a miniDSP Flex with balanced outputs connected to the Neumann speakers. On the other outputs of the miniDSP there's a balanced headphone amp connected. If I switch Ground Connect on the speakers, then I experience ground loops on my headphones. Switching Ground Lift there is no ground loop. What exactly is the benefit of Ground Connect? Would it improve the sound? I use balanced cables, each one of them got a 3 pin XLR connector. Would Ground Lift just ignore the ground connection of the cables, so only + and - are transfered?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I guess it sounds OK since you didn't mention any problems...

It should be fine as long as the speakers aren't picking-up hum. The ground in a balanced connection is just a shield, The cable is still shielded and grounded at one end. And if you actually have a ground loop there is another ground (via the power connection?) for any shielding built-into the speaker.

I'm guessing the headphone amp has a balanced output but unbalanced input? With balanced inputs ground loops are rarely a problem.

OP
A

asrUser

I'm guessing the headphone amp has a balanced output but unbalanced input?
The amp has balanced input and I bought the right cables (symmetric).
The power connection of the loudspeakers have 3 power ends, 3rd one being earthing. miniDSP and my headphone amp only have 2 power ends.

Top Bottom