• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 - tweeter issue or normal unit difference?

Lilith

Hi,

I bought a pair of new KH120 last week and did some measurements today. First I measured them at the position where they will go to, but after finding a strange issue with the tweeter I measured both from the same location and reproduced it. As you can see in the plot from REW with 1/24 smoothing below the right speaker in red has a pronounced +3 dB peak at around 15.5 kHz which is not present for the left speaker. I did several measurments and also slightly (< 1cm) moved the mic. The mic was orientated towards the tweeter in a distance of ~10 cm.

Is this within the tolerance or is there something seriously wrong?

yoCgFcv.png

mkt

Any issues in the distortion measurements? I had a used speaker issue and the distortion was a clear sign.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Any issues in the distortion measurements? I had a used speaker issue and the distortion was a clear sign.
Not sure. The second harmonic does not reach into that range. There's something in the noise floor, which is then noise or hiss from the speaker itself? The peak at 21 kHz seems to be normal.
02HWqDM.png

OP
Lilith

Lilith

The rising slope comes from the mic. With mic calibration applied it looks like this:

Right red, Orange left

KKCZMzy.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Well, actually, the differences are too small, IMO, to bother exchanging/returning.

Some of that difference can be easily compensated for with fine EQ, but even then, I doubt it will be all that audible.

With the distortion, I would check with much higher level sweeps. Again, differences are normal, but as long as there are no relatively large deviations, I would not worry.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Well, actually, the differences are too small, IMO, to bother exchanging/returning.

Some of that difference can be easily compensated for with fine EQ, but even then, I doubt it will be all that audible.

With the distortion, I would check with much higher level sweeps. Again, differences are normal, but as long as there are no relatively large deviations, I would not worry.

Thanks, I looked at other measurements and that peak at 15.5 kHz is quite common for KH120 and KH80. I only hear until ~13 kHz, so for me it's not audible. Just want to make sure that they are fine.

KH120A%2Bofficial%2BKlippel%2Bdata%2B-%2BSensitivity.png

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The tolerance of Neumann speakers is usually very tight and better than most others brands.

I would quadruple check your measurements. Placing the speaker or microphone a few cm left or right can change the result with this near field measurement. It is more easy to measure it at about 1m by leaving the microphone at the same place and moving the speakers only at exactly the same position.

Can you please show the whole frequency range plot of both speakers with microphone compensation on and zoomed in spl axis?

A small transparent plastic foil acts as a diffuser in this frequency range of the cone resonance frequency of the metal tweeter. This area can be an issues in terms of mounting and manufacturing tolerances.

Even the small 0.8dB spl deviation in this not so important frequency band seems to be either a not proper measurement from your side or bad luck and two samples which are on the upper and lower side of the tolerance band.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

The tolerance of Neumann speakers is usually very tight and better than most others brands.

I would quadruple check your measurements. Placing the speaker or microphone a few cm left or right can change the result with this near field measurement. It is more easy to measure it at about 1m by leaving the microphone at the same place and moving the speakers only at exactly the same position.

Can you please show the whole frequency range plot of both speakers with microphone compensation on and zoomed in spl axis?

A small transparent plastic foil acts as a diffuser in this frequency range of the cone resonance frequency of the metal tweeter. This area can be an issues in terms of mounting and manufacturing tolerances.

Even the small 0.8dB spl deviation in this not so important frequency band seems to be either a not proper measurement from your side or bad luck and two samples which are on the upper and lower side of the tolerance band.
Are you sure that the tolerance of 1 dB also applies to 15kHz. Neumann gives a tolerenace of 0.97 dB between 100 Hz-10kHz and my pair lies in that range. There are no specs given above that range.

I reproduced that 15.5 kHz at almost the same position and on the stands at different positions. I also moved the mic slightly and only in one measurement the peak was a bit less pronounced. I didn't figure out why. So, at 15.5 kHz the deviation is ~2.5 dB

test1223

I don't know if and what tolerance Neumann guarantees. But from my experience the monitors are very good in this regard. Therefore the assumption that even this small divination is usually smaller.

The directivity in the highest frequencies is very complex due to the break up of the cone and the plastic pieces in front of it. Therefore even small movements of the microphone or some unexpected reflections of the microphone itself or microphone arm and such can cause a divination especially in the very near field of 10cm. If my understanding is correct and you moved the microphone and not the speaker I am sceptical if your results are that accurate.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

I don't know if and what tolerance Neumann guarantees. But from my experience the monitors are very good in this regard. Therefore the assumption that even this small divination is usually smaller.

The directivity in the highest frequencies is very complex due to the break up of the cone and the plastic pieces in front of it. Therefore even small movements of the microphone or some unexpected reflections of the microphone itself or microphone arm and such can cause a divination especially in the very near field of 10cm. If my understanding is correct and you moved the microphone and not the speaker I am sceptical if your results are that accurate.
I changed slightly the mic position between the sweeps to exclude such effects. The monitors were place at the same position and the mic as well. Yes, I found some measurements here and there was a better agreement between two units also above 10 kHz.

Last edited:
OP
Lilith

Lilith

I called Neumann and they said it´s not possible to measure this correctly at home. 1 mm difference in the position can make a difference already. They are also measrued and testet before they go out and damage of the tweeter from transport is not possbile / very unlikely.

Reactions: mkt
OP
Lilith

Lilith

All the measurements here show this dip at 15.5 kHz like my right speaker.

The other one is more linear in that region and I see this in all measurements and it's also not very much dependent on the position of the mic. In practice it definitely won't play any role. Maybe my left speaker is an extremely good one :facepalm:

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Here are two units of the KH80 measured that also show a deviation at around 15 kHz if I understand correctly:

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Here are two units of the KH80 measured that also show a deviation at around 15 kHz if I understand correctly:

After reading the whole thread the speakers stay here. Seems that variances in that frequency range can occur and to be honest in practice it will not matter. Up to 10 kHz all is fine, so it's very unlikely that something is seriously wrong or even broken.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Where did you see 0.8dB? Just went through the answers again

test1223

Approximately the deviation excluding the resonance peak. I would equalize this deviation (if the measurements are accurately with the same distance and angle and show up under different angles) and leave the resonance peak as it is, since you need a lot of measurement to get a decent average frequency response in the resonance area to equalize it correctly.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Approximately the deviation excluding the resonance peak. I would equalize this deviation (if the measurements are accurately with the same distance and angle and show up under different angles) and leave the resonance peak as it is, since you need a lot of measurement to get a decent average frequency response in the resonance area to equalize it correctly.
Ok, I see. I used Drc-fir and there probably is some correction. Could also be that at my listening distance this difference is masked by other issues like comb filtering from my desk. Measurement above was very close to the tweeter.

test1223

Okay I don't know what exactly drc fir is doing. Bringing both speakers fr closer together is beneficial.

Place the speaker exactly at the same position (ideally microphone 1m away and free from first reflections) and don't move the microphone and repeat it with one or two different angles. If the measurements show the same deviation I would eq it by hand.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
After reading the whole thread the speakers stay here. Seems that variances in that frequency range can occur and to be honest in practice it will not matter. Up to 10 kHz all is fine, so it's very unlikely that something is seriously wrong or even broken.
These are the final KH80 measurements. There was some hiccup in the previous measurements and Amir needed to reinvestigate. Flat as a ruler (no 15kHz peak) and in very good alignment with the Neumann values.

For the KH120 I am sure Neumann also published reliable values on their website. They even might state the tolerance. I would still suspect your measurements. But if you are 100% sure than get your speakers exchanged.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I would try averaging, by using ARTA using frequency spectrum measurement with white noise and set averaging to linear, then slowly shift the mic over a 15 or 30 degree angle. That should smooth out any noding. And if both speakers measure the same this way, I won't be worried.

Top Bottom