• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II

samuelddy

I have never owned the KH 80's but they seem to be too small for my purposes.
I was wondering if you noticed a big difference between the low end of the KH 120 A and the KH 120 II? I'm still undecided between these two as the price for the KH 120 A is significantly lower than the new version. Although I might be getting the 750s at some point but definitely will be a while. Thanks!

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The difference is easy to hear - the ii goes a little deeper and is set up with a little more bass. Which suits this little speaker well.
For me it's the difference between "it's ok to go without woofer depending on the use" and "let's add an KH750 later".

As the ii version sounds better over the whole range I would not settle with the standard version. But when added the KH750 the older ones also get DSP correction and the difference gets smaller...

So ... get the best monitors you can afford now with a little stretch. It's the basis of all your mixing decisions. And don't forget MA1!

IamJF

For pleasure listening I have a few choices but most often I listen to Klipsch Cornwall IV's or Legacy Focus......View attachment 287458
There is definitely a nice Gibson missing on this photo :)

Gibson Trio (FHD).jpg

Gibson DC CS (FHD).JPG

The black one has the Tremonti Pickup installed - pretty cool combination.

And probably some room acoustics ...

J-B

You like the 120 ii more than the 80? Do you think the bigger speaker is worth it for 63dB average @ 0.75m? I’ll eventually add a sub or two.
Yes I like the 120 II more than the 80.
The difference in low end is very noticeable.

If you don't play super loud and are planning to use subs... I don't think there really is a big advantage for the 120 II anymore.

Hexspa

Yes I like the 120 II more than the 80.
The difference in low end is very noticeable.

If you don't play super loud and are planning to use subs... I don't think there really is a big advantage for the 120 II anymore.
Thanks. Yes, that's the thing. My reference level is 63dBC at 0.75m with a digital level of -20dB integrated LUFS (max level ~83dBC). This is well within standard tolerances according to Amir's review. Actually, Neumann's data shows only a slight protrusion of 2nd harmonic distortion at 90dB at about 500Hz; but I never play audio that loud. Either way, I definitely intend to use a subwoofer. I guess my only concern is if I move to a bigger room or want to turn them up a bit occasionally. The KH 120A has dropped in price about 30%, depending, so I'm still undecided. It seems like the consensus is that the KH 80 with KH 750 would adequately meet my needs.

It's kind of like being a doctor, I guess: I know the answer and can easily diagnose someone else's audio problems but I get anxious when I have to decide for myself :) Cheers.

Last edited:

J-B

Thanks. Yes, that's the thing. My reference level is 63dBC at 0.75m with a digital level of -20dB integrated LUFS (max level ~83dBC). This is well within standard tolerances according to Amir's review. Actually, Neumann's data shows only a slight protrusion of 2nd harmonic distortion at 90dB at about 500Hz; but I never play audio that loud. Either way, I definitely intend to use a subwoofer. I guess my only concern is if I move to a bigger room or want to turn them up a bit occasionally. The KH 120A has dropped in price about 30%, depending, so I'm still undecided. It seems like the consensus is that the KH 80 with KH 750 would adequately meet my needs. Cheers.

I think you'd be very happy with the KH80 + KH750 combo!
I personally prefer that combo over the KH120 (originals) + KH750. To my ear the 80 always sounds more clear in the mids, with slightly better imaging too.

Infinit0

Hi guys, sorry I am in the same dilemma.
I had a Neumann KH120A (old model) for 2 years but I needed to sold them for personal reasons a few years ago. I have used them to play music and watching movies, not for producing, but I loved the sound, for me flat sound is great and I consider Studio monitors a better bang for the buck than a Hi Fi speakers, besides the comfort of having active amplification. I was almost considering buying some KEF Active Speakers but I don't trust them in terms of electronics and with bluetooth and all those things they will get old very badly besides they are really expensive.

So, here I am, considering again of getting Neumann Speakers. I will listen them at 2.5m-2.75m aprox. It's a living room about 7 meters x 3 meters.
The volume levels will be for normal listening, nothing too huge, not for a party for sure, something like 85-90 db max I think.

In both scenarios I will pick the MA1 for calibrating the room.
1- KH 120 II + KH 750 DSP sub
2- KH 80 DSP + KH 750 DSP sub

I don't know if I am throwing the money getting the 120 with the sub, or maybe the 120 will integrate better than the KH 80, besides the KH120 II has a lot of improvements and being a new model maybe is better than the KH80 regarding of course going lower. Also the KH120 probably will get better volume at that distance than the KH80.

Toughts? KH150 are discared because they are expensive and in that scenario I will lost the sub that is mandatory for movies.
I have considered also the KH310 but they are huge and lot more expensive than those combos.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a Neumann KH120A (old model) for 2 years but I needed to sold them for personal reasons a few years ago. I have used them to play music and watching movies, not for producing, but I loved the sound, for me flat sound is great and I consider Studio monitors a better bang for the buck than a Hi Fi speakers, besides the comfort of having active amplification. I was almost considering buying some KEF Active Speakers but I don't trust them in terms of electronics and with bluetooth and all those things they will get old very badly besides they are really expensive.

So, here I am, considering again of getting Neumann Speakers. I will listen them at 2.5m-2.75m aprox. It's a living room about 7 meters x 3 meters.
The volume levels will be for normal listening, nothing too huge, not for a party for sure, something like 85-90 db max I think.

I don't know if I am throwing the money getting the 120 with the sub, or maybe the 120 will integrate better than the KH 80, besides the KH120 II has a lot of improvements and being a new model maybe is better than the KH80 regarding of course going lower. Also the KH120 probably will get better volume at that distance than the KH80.

Toughts? KH150 are discared because they are expensive and in that scenario I will lost the sub that is mandatory for movies.
I have considered also the KH310 but they are huge and lot more expensive than those combos.
For those listening distance at least 120ies plus sub.

Neumann publishes also a guideline for speaker selection and listening distance.

IamJF

I personally prefer that combo over the KH120 (originals) + KH750. To my ear the 80 always sounds more clear in the mids, with slightly better imaging too.
That's EXACTLY what I was hearing. KH80 sound better as KH120 - but they are a little restricted in maximum volume. Here is a measurement I did a while ago:
KH80 vs KH120 THD 50cm.PNG

Therefore I would use KH80 only in the Nearfield or at low levels. For home cinema or as monitor for a control room (where you also do recordings) it's to small in my opinion.

teashea

I was wondering if you noticed a big difference between the low end of the KH 120 A and the KH 120 II? I'm still undecided between these two as the price for the KH 120 A is significantly lower than the new version. Although I might be getting the 750s at some point but definitely will be a while. Thanks!
I have yet to do a side by side comparison between my KH 120A's and my KH 120 II's. I do intend to do this and will post my impressions.

teashea

Are you going to be using these nearfield? ie less than 2 meters?

Hexspa

The spin data seems to back this. Worse directivity and SPL linearity (despite greater extension and lower distortion) in the 120A.

Infinit0

Are you going to be using these nearfield? ie less than 2 meters?
They will be placed on the side of my TV using some floor stands and isoacoustics probably, and I will listening to them in my sofa/couch that will be about 2.25-2.75 meters. Usage will be music (flac) and movies.

mj30250

In the interest of getting it over with:

A significant difference between the KH120 II and its predecessor is that, where the enclosure of the original model was a fully die‑cast aluminium component, the new model is constructed using the same technique as the KH150, with a wooden carcass and composite polycarbonate front and rear mouldings. That might seem like a downgrade, but Neumann say that the new model’s enclosure construction technique actually results in improved resonance performance (very rigid, die‑cast aluminium enclosures can be prone to resonant ringing, much like bells are), while also offering dramatically better energy efficiency in manufacture.

teashea

Still waiting for the Sound & Recording review before pulling the trigger
I have not purchased the sos review yet. How did they like it ------ as good as the KH150, for its size?

teashea

They will be placed on the side of my TV using some floor stands and isoacoustics probably, and I will listening to them in my sofa/couch that will be about 2.25-2.75 meters. Usage will be music (flac) and movies.
I would definitely not use KH80's and would consider purchasing pleasure listening speakers instead of KH120 II's. Neumann monitors are really designed as nearfield studio monitors - not pleasure listening speakers.... and definitely not for movies.

Top Bottom