• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, they explicitly differentiate between “home studio” and “Wohnbereich” (translated as “domestic use”), they also mention the living room in their marketing materials.

And why not. Great speakers are great speakers.
all good - I don't read german - however both k+h and neumann have both been cashing my checks for years...

I haven't heard any of the smaller neumann monitors yet - although my son (on his own now) has been hinting at a pair of kh120II as a gift... he became rather audio-spoiled growing up around me...

thecheapseats

No, they explicitly differentiate between “home studio” and “Wohnbereich” (translated as “domestic use”), they also mention the living room in their marketing materials.
living room - ok sennheiser - explains the 'white' color choice of the monitors now, I suppose... : )

Sennnheiser (as the parent company of neumann/k+h) - is most effective channel marketing machine...

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I didn't know you had done lots of blind testing, have you detailed it somewhere. Speaker blind testing isn't easy.
I'm not a pro
I don't go to these lengths
But it's very easy to distinguish the "house sound "of each brand
The tweeter Mainly sounds different especially when you hear different brands side by side
Also if hear Focal Solo next to a Focal Alpha for example it's easy to hear

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a pro
The tweeter Mainly sounds different especially when you hear different brands side by side
I've never tried brain surgery, but I'm sure I'd be great at it. Want some free brain surgery?

goat76

Major Contributor
It is not. Just order a pair and listen, if the measurements available here are not convincing to you.

I don't want to order a pair if Neumann is about to release a KH310A II sometime soon, that’s why I’m asking you guys if you think they are about to renew all the models in their speaker line.

It seems like some people here see my comment about the tweeter as some kind of “attack”, but that's not the case and I’m genuinely interested in KH310A. But when reading many “cons and pros” around the net, the upper frequency range seems to be what some people see as the weakest area of this speaker, not bad, just something that maybe have an improvement potential in a new version of the speaker.

Not at you @Grotti in particular, but some of you should chill out a bit. It was just a simple question. :)

goat76

Major Contributor
They're using the same old tweeter for over 10 years
I doubt they'll ever replace it

I have no problem with the “same old tweeter” if they still find that particular one suits the speakers best.

AgentWet

I'm not a pro
Somebody hears and believe his ears and somebody measure and believe only graphs. Sadly they are fighting or at least laughing each other most of the time. I prefer to combine both without much rage. Listening after measurement. I think that there is a lot of gear which measures well and sound not so great. And then others which measures also well and sound great. And it's nice to find both in one package. I'm not a fan of luxury snake oils like cables for tenths of thousands $, but I'm also not a fan of some crappy cheap gear. And I was also be able always to differentiate sound of B&W, Focal, Dynaudio,... Same with amplifiers. Tried for example some Accuphase, Luxman, Audia Flight, Norma, Denon,... And they measured almost the same except power, but sounded completely different. On same speakers in same room. Now I'm wondering how is life with active PRO gear from better company in higher range.

mj30250

I'm betting you'll like the Genelec and Focal highs even more
I've heard my share of Focals and I doubt that.

I haven't heard any Genelec Ones but as you claim they have a "house sound", what reason would Neumann have to emulate it? If you want a Neumann to sound like a Genelec and dress like a Genelec, then just by a Genelec. A new tweeter for the sake of a new tweeter solves nothing.

bodhi

Forum Donor
so you don't actually own a pair of monitors - of any brand - anymore - at all...

ok... I'm done with this guy...
Until now you were convinced that the guy is just about to pull trigger on some 10k SOTA monitors, just a few more tidbits of information short? ;)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
so you don't actually own a pair of monitors - of any brand - anymore - at all...

ok... I'm done with this guy...
Lol
I like how you took everything out of context
I'm assuming I've heard more studio monitors than most members here
So yeah I know a thing or 2

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I've heard my share of Focals and I doubt that.

I haven't heard any Genelec Ones but as you claim they have a "house sound", what reason would Neumann have to emulate it? If you want a Neumann to sound like a Genelec and dress like a Genelec, then just by a Genelec. A new tweeter for the sake of a new tweeter solves nothing.
I'm not saying I want Neumann to sound like Genelec
I'm saying Genelec improved their tweeter , Focals also, Dynaudio also ,so I would expect Neumann to do the same

Grotti

Forum Donor
I don't want to order a pair if Neumann is about to release a KH310A II sometime soon, that’s why I’m asking you guys if you think they are about to renew all the models in their speaker line.

It seems like some people here see my comment about the tweeter as some kind of “attack”, but that's not the case and I’m genuinely interested in KH310A. But when reading many “cons and pros” around the net, the upper frequency range seems to be what some people see as the weakest area of this speaker, not bad, just something that maybe have an improvement potential in a new version of the speaker.

Not at you @Grotti in particular, but some of you should chill out a bit. It was just a simple question. :)
I apologize for my post: it could be mistaken as rude but wasn't meant this way. I auditioned the KH 310 and the KH 120 and in case of the 310 my impression was, that the tweeter did a beautiful job. I personally (and strictly subjective of course) was not fully convinced by the bass response, which didn't seem to like some of my music as much as I do ;). But that was without knowing the room, without a subwoofer and without touching tone controls or DSP.

The Bass of the 120 was more to my liking but not in farfield (2,5 - 3 m)....

So no: I don't think that Neumann has a tweeter problem. But obviously that is just my personal opinion.

mj30250

I'm not saying I want Neumann to sound like Genelec
I'm saying Genelec improved their tweeter , Focals also, Dynaudio also ,so I would expect Neumann to do the same
Yet again, what needs to be improved? Does it need more detail"? Explain how a new tweeter achieve this. Less distortion? They're already quite low in distortion and chances are if you're driving the tweeters into audible distortion you're already into the point at which the limiter will have kicked in. Brightness? If you dial in more on-axis treble SPL the speakers are no longer accurate. Wider dispersion? Clearly this is not Neumann's goal and a simple tweeter change is unlikely to impact this.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Yet again, what needs to be improved? Does it need more detail"? Explain how a new tweeter achieve this. Less distortion? They're already quite low in distortion and chances are if you're driving the tweeters into audible distortion you're already into the point at which the limiter will have kicked in. Brightness? If you dial in more on-axis treble SPL the speakers are no longer accurate. Wider dispersion? Clearly this is not Neumann's goal and a simple tweeter change is unlikely to impact this.
What did Genelecs and Focals tweeters needed improved ?
Well guess what they improved them anyways Becaue nothing is perfect

mj30250

What did Genelecs and Focals tweeters needed improved ?
Well guess what they improved them anyways Becaue nothing is perfect
That is not even a remote answer to the question.

And I have absolutely no idea the answer to yours (see, that's rather easy to admit), but I'd be willing to bet that one of two scenarios occured:

They identified an area (or areas) in need of improvement.

Or

Marketing inisited that new tweeters sell more speakers.

Top Bottom