• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Neumann vs Genelec
They sound completely different from what I've heard
Which is more accurate I don't know

Sokel

Master Contributor
Neumann vs Genelec
If someone of Neumann reads this thread:
Please,please,PLEASE don't make them sound as bright as Gens.

PS: Please?

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Neumann vs Genelec
Check the measurements.

I think in reality most of the noisiest critics would have hard time in a blind test with equally matched genelec and neumann models.

MrSoul4470

Check the measurements.

I think in reality most of the noisiest critics would have hard time in a blind test with equally matched genelec and neumann models.

No, seriously.... Then you have never heard Genelecs next to Neumanns. They sound very different in many aspects. Not saying one sounds better than the other. Just very different. Neumanns indeed sound kind-of darker but much more "in your face". Just compare them next to each other. And don't say "But the measurements....".

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I can only understand the words that you write. You write "All Genelecs are voiced similar IMHO less sharp and more neutral." I am responding that your humble opinion is inferior to actual scientific measurements by Amir.

If you meant something other that what you wrote, correct what you wrote and tell us what you do mean.

I have no idea what your beef is… seriously.

And, I hope you are aware that you are quoting someone else.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Check the measurements.

Measurements are nothing compared to real world listening
In a blind test I'd know in a second which is which .

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
If someone of Neumann reads this thread:
Please,please,PLEASE don't make them sound as bright as Gens.

PS: Please?
No, seriously.... Then you have never heard Genelecs next to Neumanns. They sound very different in many aspects. Not saying one sounds better than the other. Just very different. Neumanns indeed sound kind-of darker but much more "in your face". Just compare them next to each other. And don't say "But the measurements....".
Wow finally someone agree with me that they sound different and Neumanns are darker .
Thank you very much .
By the way if someone from Neumann reads this , please make them brighter :)

JustCoolin‘

In a blind test I'd know in a second which is which .

But the idea of a blind test is to find out if perceived differences are objectively existent. "In a blind test, I would..." is the classic fallacy. :)
Wow finally someone agree with me that they sound different and Neumanns are darker .
Thank you very much .
If they were brighter, they weren't flat.

JustCoolin‘

But Genelecs are brighter and are considered flat, so...

I can take a photo of your face with a 28mm lens, and then step back 50 feet and take another portrait with a 90mm lens. I promise you, you'll look very different in both photos. Which one is true?

There are reasons why you might perceive the Genelecs as brighter than the Neumanns although they are both flat.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But Genelecs are brighter and are considered flat, so...
How many times do we have to repeat to you that the direct sound of both is flat but Neumanns usually have higher directivity. There is no norm on directivity and its preference depends on listening distance, room size, reverberation curve and even personal taste.

As almost everyone here already knows you seem to prefer the wider directivity of Genelec which is absolutely fine, so get some Genelecs finally and stop spamming silly posts as above, Neumann like any serious company doesn't care and will never change its whole product family target just because one random person would like so, it is like writing to BMW to please make them soft as a Citroen...

Sokel

Master Contributor
How many times do we have to repeat to you that the direct sound of both is flat but Neumanns usually have higher directivity. There is no norm on directivity and its preference depends on listening distance, room size, reverberation curve and even personal taste.

As almost everyone here already knows you seem to prefer the wider directivity of Genelec which is absolutely fine, so get some Genelecs finally and stop spamming silly posts as above, Neumann like any serious company doesn't care and will never change its whole product family target just because one random person would like so, it is like writing to BMW to please make them soft as a Citroen...
His problem is not with engineering but with price.
He wants the Gen but priced as Neumanns and also Neumanns to be like Gens.
It's not gonna happen.

( @Pearljam5000 ,stop eating,drinking,going out for a couple of months and get them,peace of mind has no price! )

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
His problem is not with engineering but with price.
He wants the Gen but priced as Neumanns and also Neumanns to be like Gens.
It's not gonna happen.
Yes and now also Neumann is increasing its prices so lets see how long it will take till he writes at Kali threads his wish to have Genelec Ones for a third of the price...

( @Pearljam5000 ,stop eating,drinking,going out for a couple of months and get them,peace of mind has no price! )
If he used all the time spending in this forum to click on Google images for AI training he probably would have the money by now.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

I'm not contradicting what you're saying
I'm just saying that every Genelec I've heard sound brighter than the Neumanns
And it seems to be the consensus( On Gearspace at least )
Since they both are considered flat and neutral it's interesting as they sound so different .
KH150 could change my mind but still haven't heard them.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since they both are considered flat and neutral it's interesting as they sound so different .
I don't think it will as it also has typical Neumann monitor like higher directictivity so not an option for your preference.

MrSoul4470

My KH120 II have arrived today. Can't wait to try them. Unfortunately I have to work. :rolleyes:

Sokel

Master Contributor
OK,mind/practical test.
Find a big space (more than 10 meters) and play something like a woman's voice with lots of "S"s at low level.
Now start walking away from the speakers.The further you go the more "S"s will be prominent,go far enough and it's all you will hear,even if pass through doors and have a wall between (but with the door open).

Find out yourself why and you might have the answer.

MrSoul4470

Top Bottom