• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II

unpluggged

Perhaps the KH 120 II + KH 750 DSP is better than KH 120 + KH 750 DSP?
Perhaps, but I see no real benefit in swapping KH 120 for KH 120 II when you can just add the KH 750 DSP.

Trell

Major Contributor
Perhaps, but I see no real benefit in swapping KH 120 for KH 120 II when you can just add the KH 750 DSP.

If I owned the KH 120 I would not replace them with KH 120 II and still add a KH 750 DSP, unless I'm looking for some excuse. :)

That said, here might be some improvements with the KH 120 II as they now have DSP. I would think that a number of people would be happy with just the KH 120 II and the room EQ it offers.

unpluggged

If I owned the KH 120 I would not replace them with KH 120 II and still add a KH 750 DSP, unless I'm looking for some excuse. :)
I think @dickiefunk is in exactly such situation. Additionally, they already have a sub, but without room EQ capabilities and not so well integrated, so it would be useful to retain the low-end support and improve on the DSP features by replacing the subwoofer. This is also seems to be the most cost-effective option to get a full-range system with all the necessary DSP features in this case.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Why Neumann didn't make a new tweeter for KH150 and KH120II and probably KH310II?
It's more than 10 years old now and they pretty much changed everything else except it

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Because it's still really good without being needlessly expensive. It's an aluminium dome tweeter with a fabric sourround and ferrite magnet.
Still , a little disappointing , they could have improved it at least .

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What needs improving?
Genelec improved theirs with the Ones , Neumann themselves changed the woofer
So I'm sure it could have been at least improved it for this new generation .
Dynaudio keeps improving their tweeter
let's assume the KH120 II will be on the market for another 10 years , it will be 20 years old by then .

MrSoul4470

I think you perceive it as dark and lacking detail because it plays very clean and has low distortion.
No need to improve something that's already very good. Quality is timeless.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I think you perceive it as dark and lacking detail because it plays very clean and has low distortion.
No need to improve something that's already very good. Quality is timeless.
I'm comparing it to the Genelec's
Which sounds brighter and more detailed .
If you'll hear them side by side you'd understand

"It's more than 10 years old now" + "let's assume the KH120 II will be on the market for another 10 years , it will be 20 years old by then"

My God man, that old?

I am still using a Sansui amplifier I bought 42 years ago in a second system. The improvements since then really haven't been. Just say'n.

MrSoul4470

I had Genelecs standing next to Neumanns here before. The Neumann tweeter sounds excellent and no way worse than a Genelec tweeter.

MrSoul4470

I think a lot of people would be really unhappy if Neumann speakers suddenly sounded like Genelecs. Tastes are different. You prefer this or that. Maybe you're just more a Genelec guy.

Top Bottom