• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II

BDE

Dear all,

as already speculated in the KH150 thread a KH120II will come soon and first pictures are avilable! No need to wait for the NAMM 2023 ;)

Pictures:

25086_4.jpg

25086_2.jpg

25086_1.jpg

25088_3.jpg

25088_1.jpg

25088_4.jpg

As expected, visually a lot of similarity with a KH150.

Data:
Not so much avilable yet, price of the AES version seems to be around 1.150CHF and of the non AES version 869CHF.

Source:
Shop listing -> https://klangstudio.ch/index.php/de...es67zweiwegedspgesteuertnearfieldmonitor.html & https://klangstudio.ch/index.php/de...0iiwzweiwegedspgesteuertnearfieldmonitor.html & https://klangstudio.ch/index.php/de...eukczweiwegedspgesteuertnearfieldmonitor.html

Also listed in the spare parts area of Sennheiser -> https://spares.sennheiser.com/de-de/catalog/search?q=KH 120 II AES67 & https://spares.sennheiser.com/de-de/catalog/product/509123-kh-120-ii-ccc

Best regards
:cool:

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering the usual stellar measurements, as with the KH 150, the only surprise left is how low they managed to get the f3 from this new KH 120 II (the former KH 120 A was 52 Hz).

jae

Major Contributor
800 euros for the non AES speaker. With dsp. This could well take the crown of being the best affordable speaker from the Genelec 8030c.
I would say KH 80 already has that spot, considering it is more or less on par with 8030C at ~80% it's price.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The combination with the necessary sub Kh 750 would more or less match the price of the KH 150. Very interesting!

unpluggged

This could well take the crown of being the best affordable speaker from the Genelec 8030c.
What bars the current KH 120 A from taking this crown?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Interesting! So it is not just the same old KH120 with added DSP, but a newly designed speaker.

Here it is again (left) vs. the old KH120 (right) with a clearly different design, driver and size.
Edit: Updated the picture after dimensions have been posted.
1680608234899.png

Last edited:

dickiefunk

This has really got my attention. I’ve been using the original KH120’s for over 12 years and they are really good monitors. I’ve recently been considering upgrading these with a budget of £2000 max.
I have been using an Eve TS108 sub with my KH120’s which is a great little sub and the remote control feature is extremely handy.
I have been considering changing this for the Neumann KH750dsp sub but the app implementation seems pretty buggy and clumsy? I’m also wondering if I actually need a sub in my small mixing room!?

I’ll be very interested to find out more about the KH120II as I was expecting it to be the the same as the KH120 with DSP bolted on!

Ellebob

Forum Donor
The nice thing about good monitors/speakers is that they don't change every year like other electronics and they don't go out of date with technology. You can get a lot of years out of good speakers/monitors!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say KH 80 already has that spot, considering it is more or less on par with 8030C at ~80% it's price.
The 4" KH80 isn't on par regarding high SPL the 5" 8030C, that would be too good to be true.

Mario Sanchez

The new one looks much more similar to the kh150 and 80, some sort of new design paradigm for them perhaps. I guess they'll be changing the cab material to be more in line with the rest of the KH series(MDF frame with PC front baffle) as well?

OP
BDE

BDE

I am eager to see if they used the same woofer as the old KH120 (wich is already good) or if it is an updated version, maybe also with applied learnings from KH150 -> lowest distortions (on Purify level). Pricewise the normal version seems to be the same as a Genelec 8330.

Especially for home cinema applications the "old" KH120 could be interesing if the made a clearance sale! As the room compensation/ Dirac can be implemented in the AVR.
I am still unconfinced that Neumann MA1 is on one level with Genelec GLM, let alone Dirac.

Last edited:

elbenderman

Interesting. I just ordered a pair of new KH120s at 600 USD per speaker. I am wondering if I was given a discount because they might drop prices.

While I would rather the II with DSP, at these prices, I am happy with my choice. At 600 a speaker, I was already pushing my budget.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I am eager to see if they used the same woofer as the old KH120 (wich is already good) or if it is an updated version, maybe also with applied learnings from KH150 -> lowest distortions (on Purify level). Pricewise the normal version seems to be the same as a Genelec 8330.

Especially for home cinemar applications the "old" KH120 could be interesing if the made a clearance sale! As the room compensation/ Dirac can be implemented in the AVR.
I am still unconfinced that Neumann MA1 is on one level with Genelec GLM, let alone Dirac.
They look different, so i assume it must be a new woofer (proportions of diameter between the dustcap in the middle and the total diameter are different).

dickiefunk

They look different, so i assume it must be a new woofer (proportions of diameter between the dustcap in the middle and the total diameter are different).
Very keen to find out more about this!
If Neumann are using a different woofer in the mkII it will be interesting to hear if this will have any benefits if paired with the KH750 sub vs the original KH120.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
You can also see this at the top and bottom of the woofer. The top of the new woofer cuts into the tweeter waveguide while in the previous version it doesn't. The bottom has a wider connecting piece between the two triangle openings.

unpluggged

The top of the new woofer cuts into the tweeter waveguide while in the previous version it doesn't.
It's the other way round. Besides, it has nothing to do with the woofer's own dimensions.

Top Bottom