• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 + Sub for PC?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Focal Alpha 65 Evo + Sub One is one of them, if anyone has any opinion on that?
No opinion, but i learned about this great tool today: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spin...H+80&version0=vendor&version1=asr-v3-20200711
To my eyes, the Focal Alpha 65 Evo looks a bit worse than the KH80 - but not bad, though:

1647903584522.png

Amir liked the Focal: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cal-alpha-65-evo-review-studio-monitor.28832/
I guess you have to decide what´s important to you (features, bass capabilities, on-axis, looks...)

OP
M

MarioSH

No opinion, but i learned about this great tool today: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spin...H+80&version0=vendor&version1=asr-v3-20200711
To my eyes, the Focal Alpha 65 Evo looks a bit worse than the KH80 - but not bad, though:

View attachment 194246

Amir liked the Focal: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cal-alpha-65-evo-review-studio-monitor.28832/
I guess you have to decide what´s important to you (features, bass capabilities, on-axis, looks...)

Yes, I was reading Amir's review of the Focals which also made me look into them, and from what I can see (Correct me if I'm wrong) they seem to be pretty much plug and play.

I find it interesting though looking at the website you linked, the Focal Alpha 50 Evo is rated higher than the 65 when paired with a Sub. That could also work better for me due to size, even though the difference is minimal.

I don't know if the Dynaudio LYD 5 and their S9 Sub would be Plug and Play or if they require special tuning like the Neumann's?

OP
M

MarioSH

There's also the Genelec 8030C and Sub option...

About the Genelec's, would the connections work the same? For example, would I be able to connect them like this:

Speakers to 7050 Sub via XLR and then 7050 Sub to Topping DX7 Pro via XLR. Would what work out?

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the KH750 and the KH80 in my office at ca 1m listening distance (see the Neumann specs for max recommended room size and listening distance).

I run them via XLR from my 4i4 audio interface so you can use your Topping in the same way.

The MA1 software works very nicely adjusting amplitude and phase to the room. It‘s user interface is the weakest point but with version 1.4 was recently improved.

I cross checked the MA1 results with REW and I am very happy with the result.

Can only recommend if used for the intended room size and listening distance.

What I also like for this small listening distance and when the speakers sit idle one hears no hiss or hum. This is a major prerequisite for me when I want to work undisturbed at my desk. Not all active monitors have this not even some of the ones of the Genelecs.

Last edited:
OP
M

MarioSH

I have the KH750 and the KH80 in my office at ca 1m listening distance (see the Neumann specs for max recommended room size and listening distance).

I run them via XLR from my 4i4 audio interface so you can use your Topping in the same way.

The MA1 software works very nicely adjusting amplitude and phase to the room. It‘s user interface is the weakest point but with version 1.4 was recently improved.

I cross checked the MA1 results with REW and I am very happy with the result.

Can only recommend if used for the intended room size and listening distance.

What I also like for this small listening distance and when the speakers sit idle one hears no hiss or hum. This is a major prerequisite for me when I want to work undisturbed at my desk. Not all active monitors have this not even some of the ones of the Genelecs.

Do you still need to connect them to a Network Switch? Under the MA1 Info I see diagrams where they go from the 750 to a Network Switch before the PC. Is that required?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Do you still need to connect them to a Network Switch? Under the MA1 Info I see diagrams where they go from the 750 to a Network Switch before the PC. Is that required?
If you want to use the calibration software on your computer, it has to communicate with all 3 speakers (2 kh80, 1 kh750). All the 4 devices (computer + 3 speakers) have to be connected to the same network. Your computer may use WIFI or cable, but you need 3 free RJ45 network ports for the speakers. Maybe your router is nearby and has 3 free ports, but most people probably need an additional switch to conncet everything.

After the calibration, you don´t need the network connections anymore as long as you don´t want to change something, because all the settings are stored inside the speakers.

OP
M

MarioSH

If you want to use the calibration software on your computer, it has to communicate with all 3 speakers (2 kh80, 1 kh750). All the 4 devices (computer + 3 speakers) have to be connected to the same network. Your computer may use WIFI or cable, but you need 3 free RJ45 network ports for the speakers. Maybe your router is nearby and has 3 free ports, but most people probably need an additional switch to conncet everything.

After the calibration, you don´t need the network connections anymore as long as you don´t want to change something, because all the settings are stored inside the speakers.
Ok so I would need a Network switch since my router is not close to my PC at all.

So that’s something I’d have to look into as well, any cheap ones you can recommend?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Ok so I would need a Network switch since my router is not close to my PC at all.

So that’s something I’d have to look into as well, any cheap ones you can recommend?

I have no recommendation, any cheap standard-product should do (i, for example, use a TP-LINK TL-SG1005D).
Maybe this thread is interesting for you, someone wanted to try out the Neumann and the Genelec system and got a lot of tipps for the hardware stuff: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tive-speakers-for-near-field-listening.29777/

usern

You don't have to bother with MA-1 software to just use the KH750 + KH80 combo. You can use PC -> DX7 Pro XLR -> KH750 XLR -> KH80 XLR or alternatively PC -> USB to coax converter -> KH750 coax -> KH80 XLR. I have these speakers and sub and I use Topping D10s to convert USB to coax (SPIDF). Also note that if you use USB to coax converter, then you can only control the volume using Windows slider (or any other OS volume control if not using Windows).

With MA-1 you can calibrate the speakers and sub to be more neutral. You can also use Neumann.Control iPad app (yes has to be iPad) to configure the speakers. Both MA-1 and Neumann.Control require to connect the speakers to a network, but once you have done configuring you can remove the switch and cables.

All resulting correction parameters are stored and processed in the DSP-powered monitors. So there is nothing to worry about anymore, no plug-ins, no driver issues. And no additional cables, either: Once the alignment process is completed, the ethernet connections are not required anymore.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. As written above.
Network only required for the MA1 automated alignment process.
Network switch: I use an old cheap one from TP Link. I think they come new at around 10 USD, but any old used one will do too as there is no special requirement on network speed.

OP
M

MarioSH

You don't have to bother with MA-1 software to just use the KH750 + KH80 combo. You can use PC -> DX7 Pro XLR -> KH750 XLR -> KH80 XLR or alternatively PC -> USB to coax converter -> KH750 coax -> KH80 XLR. I have these speakers and sub and I use Topping D10s to convert USB to coax (SPIDF). Also note that if you use USB to coax converter, then you can only control the volume using Windows slider (or any other OS volume control if not using Windows).

With MA-1 you can calibrate the speakers and sub to be more neutral. You can also use Neumann.Control iPad app (yes has to be iPad) to configure the speakers. Both MA-1 and Neumann.Control require to connect the speakers to a network, but once you have done configuring you can remove the switch and cables.

Ah I see. How’s the performance if you don’t do the calibration process?

I’m guessing the whole point of getting these speakers is the process of calibrating them though.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Without calibration, the performance depends on your room and your acoustic treatments. Here i wrote it all up with my KH310 and subs: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-a-small-room-subs-ma1-absorbers-avaa.27288/

Short version (red line is the result with MA1+subs+treatments, blue line without everything):
index.php

I’m guessing the whole point of getting these speakers is the process of calibrating them though.
Maybe not the whole point, but it would be a waste not to use it.

OP
M

MarioSH

Without calibration, the performance depends on your room and your acoustic treatments. Here i wrote it all up with my KH310 and subs: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-a-small-room-subs-ma1-absorbers-avaa.27288/

Short version (red line is the result with MA1+subs+treatments, blue line without everything):
index.php

Maybe not the whole point, but it would be a waste not to use it.

Ok I understand, and it’s making a lot more sense now.

I’m kind of torn between these KH 80 + 750 setup, and the Genelec 8030C + 7050 Setup.

From what I understand the Genelec setup is plug and play, no calibration required (I think).

I’ll read the post you linked to see if it can help me make my decision.

usern

I did not do calibration and use them just fine. I Have some acoustic treatment in the room though. I got KH80 because they hiss much less than other monitor brands that I have tried (including Genelec 8030C). Also being small speakers is benefit for me because I don't have that much space for them.
From what I understand the Genelec setup is plug and play, no calibration required (I think).
Neumann is also plug an play if you don't bother with calibration software. And Genelecs will be affected by room acoustics just the same.

Last edited:
OP
M

MarioSH

I did not do calibration and use them just fine. I Have some acoustic treatment in the room though. I got KH80 because they hiss much less than other monitor brands that I have tried (including Genelec 8030C). Also being small speakers is benefit for me because I don't have that much space for them.

Neumann is also plug an play if you don't bother with calibration software. And Genelecs will be affected by room acoustics just the same.

That’s true.

You mentioned you tried both, you prefer the Neumann then?

usern

You mentioned you tried both, you prefer the Neumann then?
Have you tried monitor speakers before? They produce hissing sound even if no input cable is connected. KH80 hisses less than Genelec 8030C. Since hiss bothers me it was easy choice for me. Otherwise Genelecs can play more low frequencies without sub and they were tiny bit more sibilant. But both target neutral signature so not that much difference.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I very much preferred the 8030c over the KH80, and if I had the funds I'd just move up the 8040. One thing to consider is that the 8030's build is on a different level than the KH80. Cast metal chassis vs. plastic. The feet the genelecs come with also isolate very well. KH80 sent a lot of vibration into k&m 26772 stands, while the genelecs did not.

I also very much preferred the power plug on the 8030, I did not at all like the plug used on the KH80.

OP
M

MarioSH

Have you tried monitor speakers before? They produce hissing sound even if no input cable is connected. KH80 hisses less than Genelec 8030C. Since hiss bothers me it was easy choice for me. Otherwise Genelecs can play more low frequencies without sub and they were tiny bit more sibilant. But both target neutral signature so not that much difference.

I have not tried monitor speakers before, so it’ll be new for me. Is the hissing all the time or when not playing any sound?

OP
M

MarioSH

I very much preferred the 8030c over the KH80, and if I had the funds I'd just move up the 8040. One thing to consider is that the 8030's build is on a different level than the KH80. Cast metal chassis vs. plastic. The feet the genelecs come with also isolate very well. KH80 sent a lot of vibration into k&m 26772 stands, while the genelecs did not.

I also very much preferred the power plug on the 8030, I did not at all like the plug used on the KH80.

Thank you,

The 8040 are bigger in size? My space is not very big so if they’re bigger it could be an issue.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you,

The 8040 are bigger in size? My space is not very big so if they’re bigger it could be an issue.

Yes they are bigger, if space is a concern the 8030 are still very small but have a bit of an edge over the KH80. I tend to go for the larger woofer out of my options because I've never run into a case where the bigger woofer speaker didn't sound better.

Top Bottom