• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 + Sub for PC?

MarioSH

Hello,

I've been looking into the Neumann KH 80 DSP, along with their 750 Subwoofer, but I don't know if I'd be able to plug them to my Topping DX7 Pro and get normal audio out of my PC or do I require anything special?

I've used a pair of Corsair speakers for years so I'm not sure if these Studio speakers require anything special for normal PC usage?

Thank you.

astcal

Forum Donor
OP
M

MarioSH

Oh I see, so if the KH750 has a Built-in DAC, does that mean I wouldn't use my DX7 Pro at all with it?

Or am I able to connect the speakers and the subwoofer to the DX7 through XLR?

Also, where would be the best place to buy these speakers and sub? Amazon?

astcal

Forum Donor
Oh I see, so if the KH750 has a Built-in DAC, does that mean I wouldn't use my DX7 Pro at all with it?

Or am I able to connect the speakers and the subwoofer to the DX7 through XLR?

You don't have to use external DAC anymore.

If you want to use an external DAC, DX7 in this case, you certainly can -- XLR to KH 750, which then outputs to both KH 80's via XLR as well.

I ordered from Thomann and had excellent experience. Any reputable online vendor should work, just do some research on the reviews etc.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not that you asked, but even as an avid Neumann fan I would steer most people away from the 750 unless you already own 120s or plan on buying 310s. My experience with their software has been nothing short of atrocious. It is a great sub, I love it, but you can get the same performance for maybe 40% less $ with Rythmik, SVS, PSA, Arendal, etc

If you're set on it, Studiocare, ProAudioStar, and Alto Music regularly have refurb/demo units with full warranty.

OP
M

MarioSH

Not that you asked, but even as an avid Neumann fan I would steer most people away from the 750 unless you already own 120s or plan on buying 310s. My experience with their software has been nothing short of atrocious. It is a great sub, I love it, but you can get the same performance for maybe 40% less $ with Rythmik, SVS, PSA, Arendal, etc

If you're set on it, Studiocare, ProAudioStar, and Alto Music regularly have refurb/demo units with full warranty.

I’m not exactly set on it, I just thought getting the same brand would be best, but if you could recommend a Sub to pair them with from the brands you mentioned I would certainly check it out.

OP
M

MarioSH

You don't have to use external DAC anymore.

If you want to use an external DAC, DX7 in this case, you certainly can -- XLR to KH 750, which then outputs to both KH 80's via XLR as well.

I ordered from Thomann and had excellent experience. Any reputable online vendor should work, just do some research on the reviews etc.

Ah ok, so if I don’t use the external DAC and use the 750, how would they connect to the PC?

So 750 XLR to 80’s but then to PC?

My PC doesn’t have an internal sound card, I’ve just been using my Topping DX7 pro USB to pc and my speakers plugged to it.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not exactly set on it, I just thought getting the same brand would be best, but if you could recommend a Sub to pair them with from the brands you mentioned I would certainly check it out.

can you explain a little more about your use case and budget? I presume at least $2500 if you're looking at 750+80's, and nearfield since you're describing a PC lyaout

OP
M

MarioSH

lol
can you explain a little more about your use case and budget? I presume at least $2500 if you're looking at 750+80's, and nearfield since you're describing a PC lyaout

It’s just every day use for everything. Music, movies, games, etc.

I’ve never been a Headphone person and always liked using speakers, and I figured I would get a really good setup this time around.

I currently use speakers plugged to my DX7 Pro, which then plugs to my PC via USB.

I also have an AMP for headphones but never use it, which is plugged via XLR to my DX7 Pro.

astcal

Forum Donor
Ah ok, so if I don’t use the external DAC and use the 750, how would they connect to the PC?

So 750 XLR to 80’s but then to PC?

My PC doesn’t have an internal sound card, I’ve just been using my Topping DX7 pro USB to pc and my speakers plugged to it.
here is my setup:

PC --> USB-to-AES converter --> digital input of KH 750 --> XLR to KH 80's

I think Neumann's MA 1 calibration kit is a must since manually integrating sub and speakers is next to impossible for mortals. The software is far from stellar unfortunately, but it gets the job done to integrate you systems which is most crucial IMO, then you have room correction as well.

Last edited:

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If the ma-1 software is STILL poor, then there is really no hope for it. I got rid of my whole Neumann setup because the software was so half baked. Also, the 80's kinda sounded like tiny little speakers and I never really enjoyed them. Even the worse performing speakers I have that are just bigger sound better.

I think you can just plain do better for the money, and if it's for a desk setup, the inherent limitations there make me feel like the 750+80 is a lot of money. I'd much rather grab some budget monitors that aren't held back by size so much and pocket the money for something else.

astcal

Forum Donor
If the ma-1 software is STILL poor, then there is really no hope for it. I got rid of my whole Neumann setup because the software was so half baked. Also, the 80's kinda sounded like tiny little speakers and I never really enjoyed them. Even the worse performing speakers I have that are just bigger sound better.

I think you can just plain do better for the money, and if it's for a desk setup, the inherent limitations there make me feel like the 750+80 is a lot of money. I'd much rather grab some budget monitors that aren't held back by size so much and pocket the money for something else.

I've used MA 1 software version 1.1, 1.2, and the latest 1.3 which is much better: reliable discovery of the speakers, and added a few new controls such as volume and KH 80's LED lights. The UI and flow is still a bit awkward, but it works as advertised.

For a desktop setup, where the listening distance is under 2 meters, this setup is perfect. The KH 80 don't sound small to me at all, especially with 750, in fact they can overwhelm my study room of 12' x 12' in size.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've used MA 1 software version 1.1, 1.2, and the latest 1.3 which is much better: reliable discovery of the speakers, and added a few new controls such as volume and KH 80's LED lights. The UI and flow is still a bit awkward, but it works as advertised.

For a desktop setup, where the listening distance is under 2 meters, this setup is perfect. The KH 80 don't sound small to me at all, especially with 750, in fact they can overwhelm my study room of 12' x 12' in size.

Wow they finally got around to the LED thing, only took them literally 2 years lol.

Volume isn't scale, they get loud but I'm never fooled into thinking I'm hearing something other than a small speaker. No imaging to the midbass region because they become omni so early.

OP
M

MarioSH

here is my setup:

PC --> USB-to-AES converter --> digital input of KH 750 --> XLR to KH 80's

I think Neumann's MA 1 calibration kit is a must since manually integrating sub and speakers is next to impossible for mortals. The software is far from stellar unfortunately, but it gets the job done to integrate you systems which is most crucial IMO, then you have room correction as well.

Perfect, thank you. I'll be doing a little more research and if I end up buying these I'll probably either copy your setup, or go XLR to my external DAC.

OP
M

MarioSH

Just out of curiosity to understand better, I'm looking at the MA 1 Software on the website, and it mentions that it requires a Microphone, as well and connecting to an Network Switch, but is this for some special setup?

Like if I just want a "plug n play" setup with these, will the software help me set them up without all of these requirements?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity to understand better, I'm looking at the MA 1 Software on the website, and it mentions that it requires a Microphone, as well and connecting to an Network Switch, but is this for some special setup?

Like if I just want a "plug n play" setup with these, will the software help me set them up without all of these requirements?

Yes, you will need to buy the recommended microphone and probably an audio interface too. It‘s getting more expensive…..

Are you looking at Newman specifically to use their DSP? There are other options.

OP
M

MarioSH

Yes, you will need to buy the recommended microphone and probably an audio interface too. It‘s getting more expensive…..

Are you looking at Newman specifically to use their DSP? There are other options.

Thank you,

No, I'm just looking for a good setup, easy to use, preferably Plug n Play, that will last me at least a few years.

I got interested on the Neumann because of the reviews, and the style and size. But I'm open to other recommendations, and even more so now that I'm learning these are not Plug n Play and require probably more experience than what I have when it comes to Audio.

OP
M

MarioSH

Looking around in here, would a Dynaudio LYD 5 x2 + Dynaudio 9S be an easier setup for me?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

I recommend reading the MA1 instructions by Neumann (https://en-de.neumann.com/product_files/10620/download). They are very detailed and you'll get a sense what to expect.
Newest version is 1.4 by the way. Still far from perfect but much better than some of the previous versions.

OP
M

MarioSH

I recommend reading the MA1 instructions by Neumann (https://en-de.neumann.com/product_files/10620/download). They are very detailed and you'll get a sense what to expect.
Newest version is 1.4 by the way. Still far from perfect but much better than some of the previous versions.

Thank you, I have been reading it whenever I get some free time, and I gotta say I'm a little intimidated lol.

I'm not discarding the idea, because they do seem to be great, but I have been looking into other options... Focal Alpha 65 Evo + Sub One is one of them, if anyone has any opinion on that?

Top Bottom