• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 + Sub for PC?

OP
M

MarioSH

Yes they are bigger, if space is a concern the 8030 are still very small but have a bit of an edge over the KH80. I tend to go for the larger woofer out of my options because I've never run into a case where the bigger woofer speaker didn't sound better.

Ok I will look into the 8040’s too to see the size as well. Thank you for the suggestion!

Would these be paired with a 7050 as well?

usern

Yes they are bigger, if space is a concern the 8030 are still very small but have a bit of an edge over the KH80.
8030 are a bit bigger than KH80
I have not tried monitor speakers before, so it’ll be new for me. Is the hissing all the time or when not playing any sound?
Some people say the hiss don't bother them. But when I tried Presonus R65, then I could hear the hiss in quiet parts of music. Depends a lot on speaker model. If you get an amplifier (like Topping PA5 which is small) + passive speakers then you will avoid this problem altogether since you can vary the output level. Studio monitors are at 100% output all the time and you vary the input level.

Last edited:
OP
M

MarioSH

8030 are a bit bigger than KH80

Some people say the hiss don't bother them. But when I tried Presonus R65, then I could hear the hiss in quiet parts of music. Depends a lot on speaker model. If you get an amplifier (like Topping PA5 which is small) + passive speakers then you will avoid this problem altogether since you can vary the output level. Studio monitors are at 100% output all the time and you vary the input level.

Ok I see, so Studio Monitors will hiss normally. That's fine.

I'm still reading around, but pretty much it's between 8030c's and HK80's at this point. Leaning towards the Genelec at the moment.

astcal

Forum Donor
Genelec and Neumann have very similar measurements so you won't go wrong with either.

Last year when I was shopping for monitors, I narrowed down to these two as well. I just can get used to Genelec's toyish look, since they are right in front of me on my computer desk and I am eyeing them all day long, it's a determining factor to me.

After I got the Neumann's and calibrated them, I am so impressed by the sound quality, comparing to my Dynaudio BM MKii which are colored in comparison. Everybody have different taste/preference, I like neutrality and fidelity which the Neumann's deliver 100%.

OP
M

MarioSH

Genelec and Neumann have very similar measurements so you won't go wrong with either.

Last year when I was shopping for monitors, I narrowed down to these two as well. I just can get used to Genelec's toyish look, since they are right in front of me on my computer desk and I am eyeing them all day long, it's a determining factor to me.

After I got the Neumann's and calibrated them, I am so impressed by the sound quality, comparing to my Dynaudio BM MKii which are colored in comparison. Everybody have different taste/preference, I like neutrality and fidelity which the Neumann's deliver 100%.

Yea the Genelec's look is pretty unique, I don't exactly love it but I don't really hate it either. The KH 80's look great though.

I do like the look of the Genelec's Sub though.

carlosatl

here is my setup:

PC --> USB-to-AES converter --> digital input of KH 750 --> XLR to KH 80's

I think Neumann's MA 1 calibration kit is a must since manually integrating sub and speakers is next to impossible for mortals. The software is far from stellar unfortunately, but it gets the job done to integrate you systems which is most crucial IMO, then you have room correction as well.
PC --> USB-to-AES converter -- > digital input of KH 750 --> XLR to KH 80's
So this setup works!!??

Can the genelec 8320 (only analog connection) work the same way with their sub 7350(AES/ aes)?

Top Bottom