• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 DSP vs Dynaudio LYD 5 vs Genelec 8020D - best objective performance?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

These 3 active speakers are close in price where I am (close enough).

Which comes out on top, in objective performance?

All 3 have very good and similar on-axis frequency response.

It appears as though the Neumann has best vertical directivity (but Genelec is missing).

For horizontal directivity, all 3 are good to +/- 20 degrees it seems.

All 3 have similar bass extension.

Neumann and Dynaudio have best max SPL? Similar?

All 3 take in only analogue input, although the Neumann and Dynaudio have DSP crossover internally.

All 3 manufacturers provide lots of good measurements:

Neumann KH 80 DSP - https://en-de.neumann.com/kh-80-dsp-a-g#technical-data

Dynaudio LYD 5 - https://dynaudiodata.blob.core.windows.net/media/6535/spec_for_lyd5_2017_pdf.pdf

Genelec 8020D - https://www.genelec.com/8020d#section-technical-specifications

Which would be your technical recommendation and why?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...20a-or-genelec-8030c.11109/page-5#post-423729, someone asked me the exact same question, without the LYD 5 in the equation.
Personally, I'd choose either the KH80 or the 8030C if you can go a little bigger. I don't know enough about the LYD (hiss level, reliability) to recommend it, but it certainly doesn't seem bad; looks quite good too.

SoundOnSound made a simplistic but useful measurement of the LYD 5:
dynaudiolyd05-m7awnK_g6JXojyMqexTTgheobo8sI_Wd.jpg

Do you plan on using a subwoofer, though?

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Do you plan on using a subwoofer, though?

Possibly but all 3 have similar bass extension, so I imagine all 3 would benefit from a sub similarly?

SoundOnSound made a simplistic but useful measurement of the LYD 5:

Noted and Dynaudio show measurements at the link I shared above like:

1592825016737.png

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I like the better/best vertical directivity of the Neumann also.

Useful in nearfield position where ear height can vary quite a bit

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these except the 8020D that doesn't look as smooth as the others or its bigger sibling. Do you plan on using room correction? Because the Dynaudio lacks important dip switches to compensate for boundary gain if you don't.

I'd favour the KH80DSP if the 8030C wasn't an option, personally, as it has been measured here with examplary results; Dynaudio and Genelec are missing distorsion data, too. Which I'd like to see, as Dynaudio uses an extremely high crossover frequency (5.2 kHz) but with their "legendary" in-house drivers.

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Do you plan on using room correction? Because the Dynaudio lacks important dip switches to compensate for boundary gain if you don't.

Yes I'll use digital room EQ, so that's not an issue.

Is there a step response measurement for the Neumann? I can't find it anywhere.

I only see:

1592825592890.png

q3cpma

Major Contributor

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. Neumann's bookshelves all seem to suffer from some kind of sound power problem but the 8020D has that dip between 650 and 800 Hz, like their own measurements show:
8020D_horizontal_response.png

I'd like to insist, though, look at how clean the 8030C is in comparison:
8030C_horizontal_response.png

I have the 8030C as well. It's a nice speaker although I also did some corrections based on some measurements I took. I believe amir will test one soon as well. Between the KH80 and 8020 I don't think one could go wrong with either if that'sthe size you're looking for. As for amp power: whil the KH80 has more reserve the port noise it produces limits the useability of that power imo.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have never heart port noise from my kh 80s. and ive been given the impression that you won't hear any port noise up to its operational limits

I doubt this to be the case. In my testing port noise became noticable earlier than on my Genelec G2s (older with 20w + 20w amplifiers). This was with test tones and low frequency heavy program material. In any case, both are good for desktop use but for monitoring >1m, even with a sub, I'd suggest the 8030 or KH120.

korynt

I'd suggest the 8030 or KH120.
I really struggle with choosing between them. Genelec 8030c looks like a better offering - is cheaper, a pair takes half the power of one kh120 and unlike the kh120, they feature a standby mode. BUT I wanted to get a dsp sub in a later date and the kh750 looks like a perfect candidate. Genelec's offering for the price is laughable, and needs monitors to also have dsp, which makes them much more expensive.

Perhaps I could make the 8030 work with kh750 somehow, but dunno.

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
I really struggle with choosing between them. Genelec 8030c looks like a better offering - is cheaper, a pair takes half the power of one kh120 and unlike the kh120, they feature a standby mode. BUT I wanted to get a dsp sub in a later date and the kh750 looks like a perfect candidate. Genelec's offering for the price is laughable, and needs monitors to also have dsp, which makes them much more expensive.

Perhaps I could make the 8030 work with kh750 somehow, but dunno.
Genelec uses Class D amps in the 8030C which probably accounts for their more efficient use of electrical power. I believe the KH120 uses Class AB amps.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I doubt this to be the case. In my testing port noise became noticable earlier than on my Genelec G2s (older with 20w + 20w amplifiers). This was with test tones and low frequency heavy program material. In any case, both are good for desktop use but for monitoring >1m, even with a sub, I'd suggest the 8030 or KH120.

Would the port noise disappear with a DSP crossover to sub, say crossover 80Hz, so everything below only goes to a sub?

I assume the Neumann 80 DSP could also play a few dB's louder in this case too?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Dynaudio LYD has a tilt function, which lets you tilt the entire freq spectrum +/- 3dB. It came in quite handy in my room.

I wish every speaker came with something like this, especially small monitors meant for arms-reach use. Bring back the tone controls!

Top Bottom