• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 DSP - vibrating zzz-noise

diwic

Long story short; two out of three speakers I've ordered had a vibrating zzz-noise when playing a sine wave of 450-550 Hz at medium-high volume. The exact frequency seems to vary a bit between tests.

The vibrating zzz-noise, or possibly coil whine, or something like that, comes from the speaker's back side. In some cases I was able to reduce the noise by holding a finger on the XLR contact, thus absorbing the vibration. (I've tried switching XLR cable which did not make a difference.)

So I started by ordering two speakers where one had this problem, the other one did not. So I returned the speaker with the problem and got a new one which also had this problem.

So I'm just checking with the rest of you if this is something you have heard of or encountered? Because either:

1) There is a systematic failure in design or production of the Neumann KH 80 DSP, in which case we should have heard of more of this, but I have not found any other reports of this so far.

2) I've been extremely unlucky, in which case I could just order a fourth speaker and it should work okay

3) The speakers are fine and something else is wrong with my setup. But I've tried my best to rule this out: First, I've tried different speaker locations, and that can cause the resonance frequency to change a bit, but still I can hear that the sound in fact comes from the speaker's back side. Second, one of the speakers does not have this problem.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
coil whine is coil whine. if that's the case then just replace the speakers if they're bothering you..

I don't see how your setup would influence the issue if the noise is not coming out of drivers.

OP
D

diwic

Contact Neumann, since you have two samples having the same problem.

Thanks for the reply! Would that be the distributor in my country or is there a better way to (hopefully) get to the tech people who are likely to know this first hand?

related or not, this reminded me of some stuff I've seen before:

1)
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28874
'Thirdly, the backplate resonates quite audibly at about 270 Hz even at moderate output levels'
'I went to the store where I bought the KH80 to compare to their exhibition model which had the exact same issue and the store personal also mentioned that another costumer had returned a pair of KH80 for the same reason.'

2)
https://gearspace.com/board/product...h-80-dsp-raises-standard-monitor-sound-5.html
'Mine were ordered and one of them came with with extreme insulation problems, and with lot of acoustic vibration because the rear part of the speaker is attached by plastic clips.

And these tiny clips that are responsible to push the backplate on the speaker enclosure were broken. Be very careful if you ever have to open the speaker. If you do so and one of these clips break, there's no way ever of closing the speaker correctly again'

OP
D

diwic

related or not, this reminded me of some stuff I've seen before:

1)
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28874
'Thirdly, the backplate resonates quite audibly at about 270 Hz even at moderate output levels'
'I went to the store where I bought the KH80 to compare to their exhibition model which had the exact same issue and the store personal also mentioned that another costumer had returned a pair of KH80 for the same reason.'

Thanks. So it's not just me then, I thought I was going crazy. Not sure why mine resonated at a different frequency than theirs but still it seems to be a similar issue.

OP
D

diwic

Thanks for the reply! Would that be the distributor in my country or is there a better way to (hopefully) get to the tech people who are likely to know this first hand?

I did ask and just recently got a reply from the representative in my country. The email said that the person had not heard about this issue before.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Only thing to do is to send to @amirm for review :p:cool:

OP
D

diwic

Status update: Fourth speaker has now arrived. It does not have the "resonating backplate" / "coil whine" issue.

Rarely I can hear something resonating, but at this point it could just as well be something in the room.

Lilith

I had exactly the same thing 3 years ago with one KH80. It was sent to Sennheiser and came back again with the remark that it's fine.

I’ve already bought a second hands pair and one of them has this “issue” I don’t know what to do. Around 250 in a medium/high level makes a horrible sound. The other monitor makes that sound too when te level is too high. Any solution? Is an easy issue to fix?

Lilith

I’ve already bought a second hands pair and one of them has this “issue” I don’t know what to do. Around 250 in a medium/high level makes a horrible sound. The other monitor makes that sound too when te level is too high. Any solution? Is an easy issue to fix?
Does this happen with music or with Sine tones only? If the latter don't think about it.

Does this happen with music or with Sine tones only? If the latter don't think about it.
When I’m recording or mixing any percussion instrument with a great energy in that region or an acoustic guitar without Eq for example. In music it happens just when I play in higher levels ( I rarely do that ).

Lilith

When I’m recording or mixing any percussion instrument with a great energy in that region or an acoustic guitar without Eq for example. In music it happens just when I play in higher levels ( I rarely do that ).
Do you still have warranty? The speaker is fine it is presumably only the board that hit the housing on the back. You can try pressing on different positions on the back until the sound disappears to see where exactly it comes from.

Do you still have warranty? The speaker is fine it is presumably only the board that hit the housing on the back. You can try pressing on different positions on the back until the sound disappears to see where exactly it comes from.
Thanks for that I’ll try this. I haven’t warranty and I don’t know if has Neumann support in Brazil.

Lilith

Look the sound that do when I put the 200hz and increase de volume.

Oh... That 's not acceptable. Does it come from the back or the front? I would send them to Sennheiser after they estimated the costs for repair.

You could call them

Top Bottom