• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 DSP Speaker Measurements: Take Two

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

QMuse

Major Contributor
That directivity step at 1,5-2 Khz unfortunately cannot be really corrected with EQ, otherwise it wouldn't be just just a sound power problem but also on-axis/LW.

Sure, but I wanted to say that directivity bump at 1.5kHz is relatively small while non-linearity of LW/ER/SP actually isn't.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but I wanted to say that directivity bump at 1.5kHz is relatively small while non-linearity of LW/ER/SP actually isn't.
For the high standard that Neumann monitors pursue I personally don't find it small, the rest as you say can anyway be EQed.
How it should be done is shown by the comparable Genelec model

QMuse

Major Contributor
For the high standard that Neumann monitors pursue I personally don't find it small, the rest as you say can anyway be EQed.
How it should be done is shown by the comparable Genelec model

Sure, but it is the smoothness in LW/ER/SP that more affects preference than smoothnes in DI's, so EQ-ing LW/ER/SP would certainly make it sound better and yield a better score. That is why I can't understand why they haven't EQ-ed it.

On the other hand, ASR measurement looks far better than the one posted by @TimVG .

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Step in ER/SP is probably caused by cancellation around crossover in the vertical plane. All non-coincidental drive arrays will have this in one way or another.

*Actually the Genelec 8030C has it as well in a steady state measurement: After my LW correction it still showed up in the steady state measurement but less so. My own 'before' steady state measurement at LP did correlate very well with Genelec's own SP measurment.

LW before

lwbefore.jpg

After

lwafter.jpg

Steady state before & after at listening position.

lp.jpg

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
If Amir confirms these KH120 measurements with his Klippel setup (and we have no reason to believe they should be any different), it would be disappointing. That FR seems like a bad trade-off just to gain 10 Hz of low end extension. Perhaps the benefits become clearer at higher SPLs and with the DSP enabled.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure that's a KH120 being measured here? The response >1 KHz doesn't look anything like my measurements o_O

Either the KH120 or Behringer has really stepped up their game.

1589791351189.png

hyperplanar

Either the KH120 or Behringer has really stepped up their game.

View attachment 64170
LOL, don't underestimate Behringer, they have some gems in their product lineup! :)

I'm assuming this was the picture in the webinar? Maybe the tested device was something other than a KH120 and Klippel just happened to have a picture of a KH120 being tested handy. That's a huge scoop in the upper midrange on-axis, I think that would be visible in any in-room measurement...

Here's an uncorrected on-axis measurement of my left KH120, 1/24 octave smoothing.
6.png

And windowed:
7.png
8.png

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the link. Huh. I'm intrigued! I'm curious why the dip here is narrower and nearly 5 dB deep, while the other graph has a much broader 2.5 dB dip.
View attachment 64183

If I'm correct the system is here measuring and presenting data in the nearfield, while the eventual spinorama result gets extrapolated to a distance of 2m - I'm not an expert on the system though.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, my own measurements of a KH120 I had years ago (now long lost) also showed a depression in the presence region, which actually filled out somewhat (but not completely) slightly off-axis (below axis IIRC), suggesting a time misalignment between the drivers.

And both this speaker and the KH120 seem to have the same odd bass alignment, with a dip in the midbass and a little bump at the port tuning frequency.

For those two reasons, and the limited output, I was never a fan of the KH120.

hyperplanar

If I'm correct the system is here measuring and presenting data in the nearfield, while the eventual spinorama result gets extrapolated to a distance of 2m - I'm not an expert on the system though.

Ah, that makes sense. Still, the FR doesn't seem to look like any other measurements online:
https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/neumann/kh-120-a.htm#meas

Or Sound und Recording's measurement (sorry for the painfully low resolution)
1589794100447.png

So I'm lost as to what's causing the discrepancy in FR here.

Top Bottom