• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 DSP Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderlips

Yeah. It makes no sense. Almost as if against Noymon for some reason. The most curt review and least amount of detailed measurements out of any speaker. While it should have been the complete opposite. Nailing the measurements and review for KH 80 is very important. Samsung 104 was even measured twice. :rolleyes:

Krunok

Major Contributor
I am refering to the slang term use in the US which refers to people taking things to seriously (see grammar nazi).

Capture.JPG

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you look at my normalized vertical directivity graph, -10 has slightly more energy ~2kHz; I'll restate that -10 is likely not the reference axis, -5 likely is, but we don't have a measurement of that to confirm.
Okay, thanks for clarification. I thought the measuring distance was 30cm and tweeter/woofer middle at 5cm, thus I assumed ver -10deg would be the right measurement.

@amirm
Could you please post the mic calibration file. Out of curiosity I would like to try the "convolution of the calibration with an existing measurement".
Maybe this help further to clear things up.

sorry guys, not to offend any party, just to easy tension
Slap like this to get more bass ;)

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He was very forthcoming in the past when people questioned his results in explaining and proving why he was right, so I don't understand why he's suddenly so nazi about it.
WTF! You should apologize.
What kind of people use this kind of language for fun? I use this word only for f... nazis.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just being curious as a "speaker newbie", is there another company like Neumann (pro or hifi oriented), that explicitly publishes such flat responses for their speakers on product pages?

Thunderlips

Just being curious as a "speaker newbie", is there another company like Neumann (pro or hifi oriented), that explicitly publishes such flat responses for their speakers on product pages?

Genelec. Especially The Ones series. Both fantastic European companies. Devialet Phantom Gold is another incredible speaker.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec. Especially The Ones series. Both fantastic European companies. Devialet Phantom Gold is another incredible speaker.

Many of the European companies do. In addition to Genelec, you have Adam, Hedd, Eve, Dutch & Dutch, Kii, Grimm, and others. Best bang for the science-oriented buck is probably Neumann and Eve, IMO

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's nonsense. I am trying to get you guys to stop obsessing over small differences in frequency response. I have not even bother to put in the calibration for my microphone in there because 1 dB here and there is not material. You are missing the forest from the trees here. Speaker has flat response on axis. That is what they advertise, and that is what I found.

I am determined to not lead you guys down a path that is totally inappropriate with respect to speaker measurements. How is this going to work? On every measurement you are going to hound me to test and re-test every theory until you are satisfied that my measurements match someone else's with unknown test conditions are identical? That would be sad. And it is sad now that I can't get this simple message across with respect to speaker testing.

What do you think your ears are? That they care about these tiny differences when assessing two different speakers?
I am puzzled by this. You haven't used the calibration for your measurement microphone? Why?

This doesn't make any sense to me. I get the mic you are using isn't off by much, and that the cal doesn't clean up much compared to a cheapo $50 measuring microphone, but why would you not use the cal files? Would you use your AP to measure a DAC if it was pretty close, but out of calibration in some way?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ego? Nothing is about ego. I routinely make additional measurements for members. I will shortly be retesting the Schiit Freya S pre-amp.

I simply find it unacceptable that members would want to chase things in this direction. I have explained it multiple times. To ask means to not understand the limits of what measurements do in this space.

Finally, no, the KH 80 is not a high-end speaker. It is a tiny little thing and no way would it be fit as use in a regular high-fi system let alone "high-end."

Oh? So now I am gaming the measurements in that regard? You guys get a medal for inventing reason after reason to motivate me to NOT re-test.

What do think this is? I am your slave to chase your needs and if not get there, you resort to calling my reputation into question? And I am supposed to then run and do as you say?

I can't believe the attitude here. I am done folks. If there was any chance of re-testing it, it is not there anymore. You want it tested again, hire Klippel to test it for you. They charge $1000. :(

Can we get a 100 members to pledge $10 to get an independent test done. I'm in. Petulance doesn't suit your goals here Amir.

Thunderlips

I am puzzled by this. You haven't used the calibration for your measurement microphone? Why?

This doesn't make any sense to me. I get the mic you are using isn't off by much, and that the cal doesn't clean up much compared to a cheapo $50 measuring microphone, but why would you not use the cal files? Would you use your AP to measure a DAC if it was pretty close, but out of calibration in some way?

None of it makes logical sense. Amateur DIYers have been using $26 Dayton mics for the past 20 years to get approximate measurement results. Why bother with a $30K state of the art measuring system?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in too, but we need a KH80 as well.
That is true. Maybe a $500 group donation to pay Amir to do it again is a better path.

On the other hand, if Neumann is bothered by this, maybe they would cooperate to make one available. As far as that goes, we could up the donation to $15 or get more members and buy our own KH80.

Of course Amir helps himself if he does it. We'd need to get someone to measure under both conditions to confirm Amir's initial result. And yes I understand why that isn't worth much except it calms people in regards to Amir's future measurements. I honestly am rather upset myself that I now know he didn't even use calibration of his microphone. That is just nuts.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm in too, but we need a KH80 as well.

According to the review the KH 80 that was measured was sent by a member. Maybe they'd be interested in getting it re-tested, in which case they could provide the very same KH 80. Actually that might be even better, because that would eliminate sample-to-sample variation.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Yeah well this site wouldn't be what is is without the trust of the readers, and same as amirm doesn't need to be told what to do, I don't need need to renew my donation. But what's it to you seeing you have no skin in the game.

dukanvadet

Forum Donor
What is Amirm without his readership?

I think he would go on just fine without this site, i think he had a well paying job before this. And i dont think he has any responsibility to provide this service to anyone that neither pays him or appreciate the job he is putting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom