• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 420 or Genelec 8361

D

Deleted member 4708

Neumann KH420 imo. Looks a lot better than 8361 or Revel and sounds the same or better than 8361. Current Revel line looks just ok imo - look at the screws around the tweeter; finish is also just ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

phile2

My advice is, sell your amps and use the money to buy more content to enjoy!
hello Descartes,
you have passive speakers... you have the weird idea to buy some actives... ...
well... my advice is : follow the Inner Space's advice :D => jump into the active world, and you will never come back to passive !

The 1st step is to go & listen. Actives are like passives, each brand / model has its "sound". Then, you'll like more this one than this other one... the ears will choose !

2nd step, after testing at home 2 or 3 actives (front & center), you'll realize that you entered into a brand new wondelful world, and ASAP you'll look for swaping the other passive speakers to get only actives ! Because it's so much "better" (and cheaper & less cables & smaller electricity bill & less boxes into the room, and many others advantages :D ).

Why do you have in mind the biggest items from Neumann & Genelec ?
listening position @ 12feet... that's not "far away"...
and why not looking at Dynaudio Core / Adams / Focal trio11 / PSI A-23 or 25 / ... ?? theses are nice products too. The "active world" is not limited to Neumann & Genelec ! :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
FWIW @Descartes I own f226's, m126Be, 8331, 8341, KH80/120 and previously had c426Be, KH310+750 and 8351 so I'm fairly familiar with sound of all 3 lineups in my own domestic setting. Above answer is exactly what I would recommend - GLM is also a real treat
Is the 8351 better than KH310+ 750?
Thanks

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Neumann KH420 imo. Looks a lot better than 8361 or Revel and sounds the same or better than 8361. Current Revel line looks just ok imo - look at the screws around the tweeter; finish is also just ok.
In what way KH420 sounds better than 8361 in your opinion?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was considering both speakers too. Ended up with 8361a’s, here (Canada) they were about $1000/pair cheaper than the 420’s. I think you really can’t go wrong with either, though for l-c-r the 61’s have the advantage of horizontal or vertical orientation.
The KH420 are also suited to horizontal orientation, just turn the mid/tweeter array by 90 degree.

Top Bottom