• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 420 or Genelec 8361

Descartes

Major Contributor
Help me decide, I am looking to upgrade my three front speakers and am debating between either staying with passive speakers or go the pro route.

If I decide to go the pro route here are the speakers I am looking at:
Neumann KH 420
or
Genelec 8361

I am sitting 12 feet away from the speakers in a well treated room.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If cost isn't a primary concern, I'd go 8361 to be sure. That said, here in the US it's pretty easy to find the 420's secondhand for 40% less than 8361. It's difficult to find secondhand 8361 in general

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
My room is 20 x 18 x 10 feet, I sit 11 feet away from the speakers.

I wish I could audition both before buying them!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I say KH 420 because (a) a grille is available and (b) you can remove the amps and just run speaker cable to the speakers.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is for enjoyment for home theater? What’s the main use?

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was considering both speakers too. Ended up with 8361a’s, here (Canada) they were about $1000/pair cheaper than the 420’s. I think you really can’t go wrong with either, though for l-c-r the 61’s have the advantage of horizontal or vertical orientation.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
80% Home theater and 20% surround sound music!
I have multiple pairs of both, in use in a couple of studio facilities, and for 80% HT I would suggest the 8361s - mildly better articulation on human voice for dialog, plus the option of mounting the center speaker horizontally. Never forget, for HT the center speaker is the most important, and a good performer well positioned is 90% of success.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
I have multiple pairs of both, in use in a couple of studio facilities, and for 80% HT I would suggest the 8361s - mildly better articulation on human voice for dialog, plus the option of mounting the center speaker horizontally. Never forget, for HT the center speaker is the most important, and a good performer well positioned is 90% of success.
Thank you for your suggestions looking at the weight and size 8361 I think the 8351 will work better for me, my issue is I sit 11 feet away from them will that be an issue?

dfuller

Major Contributor
KH420 gets my vote personally solely for the remote amp capabilities. However it is much too big for a center speaker if not behind a projector (even horizontal!).

As such: 8361s might be a better move.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your suggestions looking at the weight and size 8361 I think the 8351 will work better for me, my issue is I sit 11 feet away from them will that be an issue?
That will depend on your required SPLs ... unless you want really loud at the LP, you should be fine.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
That will depend on your required SPLs ... unless you want really loud at the LP, you should be fine.
Ok so how about the following
3 Revel PerformaBe F226Be vs
3 Genelec 8351?

I already have amplifiers!

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok so how about the following
3 Revel PerformaBe F226Be vs
3 Genelec 8351?

I already have amplifiers!
Well, good HTs are built from the center channel outward, and an 8351 will be far superior to any domestic center such as would match the Revels you mention. The F226s would no doubt be lovely as L & R, but again, I think the 8351s would be superior for clarity and definition. My advice is, sell your amps and use the money to buy more content to enjoy!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Can you compare their sound in general? Thanks

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you compare their sound in general? Thanks
Two observations, both exclusively from well treated rooms on the production side, which has somewhat specialized demands: 1) I'm mostly retired from active involvement now, and the way to keep my people happy is to let them choose what they want, which is kind of fascinating from a third-party observer point of view. The clear preference is for Genelec for film, TV and ADR - i.e. anything mandating the primacy of the human voice. Whereas the people in my purely music operation tend to migrate toward Neumann.

Naturally I have checked, second-guessed, and tried to understand these preferences (because I'm paying the damn bills) and it seems to me that the "wow, this is great to work with" region is about an octave higher on the Genelecs than the Neumanns. Therefore the Genelecs do the clicky, spitty, voice-articulation region better, and the Neumanns do the weighty, complex midbass and low midrange region better. But overall they're similarly competent, and no one would turn down a job if required to work with one rather than the other.

But at home I use JBL passives (4367s) - for "not at work tonight" listening I prefer the slightly plumper, down-tilted effect they give.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Well, good HTs are built from the center channel outward, and an 8351 will be far superior to any domestic center such as would match the Revels you mention. The F226s would no doubt be lovely as L & R, but again, I think the 8351s would be superior for clarity and definition. My advice is, sell your amps and use the money to buy more content to enjoy!
The only thing is that I can get the three Revel 226be at a substantial discount where as the Genelec I have to pay full price.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Two observations, both exclusively from well treated rooms on the production side, which has somewhat specialized demands: 1) I'm mostly retired from active involvement now, and the way to keep my people happy is to let them choose what they want, which is kind of fascinating from a third-party observer point of view. The clear preference is for Genelec for film, TV and ADR - i.e. anything mandating the primacy of the human voice. Whereas the people in my purely music operation tend to migrate toward Neumann.

Naturally I have checked, second-guessed, and tried to understand these preferences (because I'm paying the damn bills) and it seems to me that the "wow, this is great to work with" region is about an octave higher on the Genelecs than the Neumanns. Therefore the Genelecs do the clicky, spitty, voice-articulation region better, and the Neumanns do the weighty, complex midbass and low midrange region better. But overall they're similarly competent, and no one would turn down a job if required to work with one rather than the other.

But at home I use JBL passives (4367s) - for "not at work tonight" listening I prefer the slightly plumper, down-tilted effect they give.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing is that I can get the three Revel 226be at a substantial discount where as the Genelec I have to pay full price.
Well, like a lot of things in life, there's a reason for that. Better to buy once and cry once than to revisit the issue next year, and the year after, and so on.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FWIW @Descartes I own f226's, m126Be, 8331, 8341, KH80/120 and previously had c426Be, KH310+750 and 8351 so I'm fairly familiar with sound of all 3 lineups in my own domestic setting. Above answer is exactly what I would recommend - GLM is also a real treat

Top Bottom