• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

NeoZs99

of course.

I'm running my 310s with a little Deftech Supercube 6000. I don't even high pass the speakers. Somehow it all sums perfectly well at the main LP and having the multiple sound sources worked very well to smooth out bass response.
Thank you.. it's exactly what I wanted to know

TobyMoby

I really wanted to buy a pair. I really wanted to love them.

But I just heard less informations of the recordings than with Geithains or with Genelecs.

Just my 2 cents, kind regards

smcc

It could probably get louder but does that necessarily means that it sounds better?
In general I preferred Genelec's treble and tonality vs the Neumann(that's why I sold my KH120 and I assume it's the same tweeter)
I think it is the same tweeter in them all, it looks identical...but, there is a significant difference between how the highs of the KH120 and the KH80 and K310A sound (never used/heard 420s)...I've used them all, even in the same room...I wouldn't recommend the KH120s, they're only OK...the 80s and 310s are great though...also the 120s also seem to blow quite easily, I've installed a dozen in shops, restaurants etc. and a few have gone honky (verified by measurements), whereas i've also installed a bunch of 80s and none of them have failed...

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I think it is the same tweeter in them all, it looks identical...but, there is a significant difference between how the highs of the KH120 and the KH80 and K310A sound (never used/heard 420s)...I've used them all, even in the same room...I wouldn't recommend the KH120s, they're only OK...the 80s and 310s are great though...also the 120s also seem to blow quite easily, I've installed a dozen in shops, restaurants etc. and a few have gone honky (verified by measurements), whereas i've also installed a bunch of 80s and none of them have failed...
How could the highs sound different if it's the same tweeter?

smcc

Well for starters the kh80 is a digital linear phase 8th order crossover, it's also lower crossover point...but there's a lot more to it than just that...even the 310 and 120 sound very different...don't take my word for it, just take a look at the measurements on Neumanns site...or compare Amirs...

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

But I just heard less informations of the recordings than with Geithains or with Genelecs.

What do you mean by less information?

dfuller

Major Contributor
How could the highs sound different if it's the same tweeter?
I swear I've explained this to you before. Everything else is different. The amp, the crossover point and slope, the cabinet, the waveguide.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I hear simply less details and phantom acoustic sources are not clearly locatable.

When I compare it to Geithains and Genelecs with coaxial/triaxial arrangements of the drivers.

Kind Regards
In the same room, in the same time...

NeoZs99

Correct me if I'm wrong but the equivalent Geithans are like thrice the price of the Neumanns, and the 8351 like double.

TobyMoby

Correct me if I'm wrong but the equivalent Geithans are like thrice the price of the Neumanns, and the 8351 like double.

I had the same impressions with the 420. I really wanted to love them too. Because they are cheaper.

The Geithain Three-ways are around 5000 € a piece.

Kind Regards

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I had the same impressions with the 420. I really wanted to love them too. Because they are cheaper.

The Geithain Three-ways are around 5000 € a piece.

Kind Regards
How would you say the Genelec Ones and Geithain compare?

TobyMoby

How would you say the Genelec Ones and Geithain compare?
I would say both are also great for locating phantom acoustic sources in the space of a recording.

A singing voice I know very well live from the opera sounds a jot more natural over the Geithains.

Kind Regards

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I wonder how the SCM25 compares to KH310, they look pretty similar but SCM25 costs $9000
הורדה (28).jpeg

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how the SCM25 compares to KH310, they look pretty similar but SCM25 costs $9000View attachment 159065
The KH310 measure more smooth both on and off-axis

smcc

The KH310 measure more smooth both on and off-axis
Thd looks a bit lower on the atcs though…gotta admit they make good drivers…not worth the money though…i checked them out at the time…it was genelec ones or kh310s…latency and a few grand extra turned me off ones

dfuller

Major Contributor
I wonder how the SCM25 compares to KH310, they look pretty similar but SCM25 costs $9000
KH310 is a lot smoother on and off axis, but ATC wins out in the distortion department (but only in the low end, albeit by quite a bit if Resolution's tests are anything to go by). The ATCs actually largely could be better, but only if they waveguided the tweeter a bit more. It doesn't have to be huge - the crossover point is a fairly high 3.5k and the 3" dome is itself waveguide loaded which should in theory help the narrowing up top - but something there would help.

That and tuning their crossovers a bit would land them squarely in the "very good" category. I just think they don't necessarily have the spare 100k+ lying around for a NFS - at that kind of price, they're pretty low volume.
smcc:
Thd looks a bit lower on the atcs though…gotta admit they make good drivers…not worth the money though…i checked them out at the time…it was genelec ones or kh310s…latency and a few grand extra turned me off ones
Yep! ATC's drivers are in general insanely good. It's the integration thereof that is just okay.

Top Bottom