• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Well we don’t know for sure since we do not have Klippell measurements for either the Genelec 8361A or the Neumann KH420. Both have polar response plots published by the manufacturer and both look fantastic. Both have SPL measurements available and both are also fantastic (though the KH420 has more midbass, midrange, and treble power, while the Genelec 8361 measures with a bit more bass power).

It seems like a close tie from what data we have now, but I would give the first prize between Neumann KH420 vs Genelec 8361A to the latter, if only because of the advantages you get from a fully coaxial design, and the additional built-in DSP, auto-sleep, and other advanced digital features.
Another point for the 8361A for having an aluminum cabinet, don't know why but metal cabinets just sound better to me, could be psychological.
And I have no idea what the KH420 is made out of
Screenshot_20210917-053753.jpg

Vintage57

Forum Donor
what I found

Computer-modeled cabinet design using Low Resonance Integral Molding (LRIM™) materials · Extraordinary bass depth (26 Hz) with high sound pressure (122.4 dB).

PS. They sound amazing IMO.

Last edited:

Vintage57

Forum Donor

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Theoretically if you add a sub to the KH310 it should sound identical to the KH420 because all of the drivers are the same except the woofer obviously.
What am I missing here?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Theoretically if you add a sub to the KH310 it should sound identical to the KH420 because all of the drivers are the same except the woofer obviously.
What am I missing here?
The different radiation patterns of the speakers and SPL capability.

aac

What am I missing here?
KH420 has better controlled directivity (because its mid driver has a larger horn than a very short kh310 one and woofer is larger), vented design, different driver arrangement and lower crossover for woofer/mid.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what I found

Computer-modeled cabinet design using Low Resonance Integral Molding (LRIM™) materials · Extraordinary bass depth (26 Hz) with high sound pressure (122.4 dB).

PS. They sound amazing IMO.
I’m sure they do sound amazing! Just looking at the measurements available now, I cannot tell whether the KH420 or the 8361A would likely sound better, assuming tweeter height is aligned with the listening position.

Until we can figure out how to get Amir a KH420, the resolution of the data we have now is limited. Amir will be getting a 8361A from me soon to add to his speaker review backlog. I know he also wants to measure the KH420, we just need to find someone who wants to buy one to drop-ship to him, or maybe someone close enough who already has one.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I’m sure they do sound amazing! Just looking at the measurements available now, I cannot tell whether the KH420 or the 8361A would likely sound better, assuming tweeter height is aligned with the listening position.

Until we can figure out how to get Amir a KH420, the resolution of the data we have now is limited. Amir will be getting a 8361A from me soon to add to his speaker review backlog. I know he also wants to measure the KH420, we just need to find someone who wants to buy one to drop-ship to him, or maybe someone close enough who already has one.
Maybe Neumann would be kind enough to ship one to him for testing

dfuller

Major Contributor

Personally I'm inclined to say the KH420. The Gens are good, for sure, but... look at the difference in size! Yeah, the Ones are basically a point source, but even with that there's no replacement for displacement (and cabinet volume, in this case). Chances are good that the 420s go quite a bit louder and they certainly extend deeper.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Personally I'm inclined to say the KH420. The Gens are good, for sure, but... look at the difference in size! Yeah, the Ones are basically a point source, but even with that there's no replacement for displacement (and cabinet volume, in this case). Chances are good that the 420s go quite a bit louder and they certainly extend deeper.
It could probably get louder but does that necessarily means that it sounds better?
In general I preferred Genelec's treble and tonality vs the Neumann(that's why I sold my KH120 and I assume it's the same tweeter)

dfuller

Major Contributor
It could probably get louder but does that necessarily means that it sounds better?
In general I preferred Genelec's treble and tonality vs the Neumann(that's why I sold my KH120 and I assume it's the same tweeter)
I think they're roughly comparable otherwise. The KH line shares the same tweeter, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily implemented the same way. The waveguides, amps, crossovers, and cabinets are all different.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I guess the KH 310 is nearfield to midfield, the KH 420 midfield to farfield. So, in midfield, KH310 + sub(s) should roughly equal the 420.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I guess the KH 310 is nearfield to midfield, the KH 420 midfield to farfield. So, in midfield, KH310 + sub(s) should roughly equal the 420.
Read the website and the distance given for some datas.
Farfield in a living room, a kh120 do the job as the ns10 if used as advertised by Yamaha.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I think they're roughly comparable otherwise. The KH line shares the same tweeter, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily implemented the same way. The waveguides, amps, crossovers, and cabinets are all different.
KH420 is a beast but I'd still prefer the 8361A because of GLM, I don't want to mess with room correction too much so it's a great solution

Last edited:
Reactions: CMB

StuartC

Forum Donor
So I received my KH310s this week (this review directly influenced my decision). I must say, first impressions are positive. I was impressed with the packaging, and the fact each speaker came with a UK, US and Euro mains plug. They are smaller than I expected, but the old saying about good things and small packages rings true here.

My previous setup was a Parasound A21 into mk2 ATC SCM19s. The living room is about 4.7x3.5m (12'x16') and listening position is width-ways i.e. sat against the middle of a long wall facing the other long wall. Seat to speaker distance is ~3m (13'). I typically listen to music via Roon, so had an EQ that calmed my room modes down. Apart from freeing up the space the Parasound occupied (several acres, it's bloody huge), notable improvements are (and this is all subjective):

- clarity; things like high-hats, snare drums and cymbals sound sharper and stand out more now
- bass response; generally tighter (not that the ATC was bad), things like bass guitar riffs sound cleaner when the notes change
- improved imaging; my room isn't great (WAF prevents acoustic treatment), but the ATCs struggled to give a sharp soundstage. These are better although still limited by the room
- realness; I can't describe it better than that. Instruments sound much more like they would in person. Amir summed it up when he stated that they just sound right, I couldn't agree more.

I can't believe you can buy this level of quality sound reproduction at this price. What was I thinking buying passives and amps?! The only thing left now is to justify a KH750 or two to get that sub 40Hz bass response. The idea of getting two of them and using the DSP function to create a pair of 4-ways appeals.

NeoZs99

A hypothetically dumb question.. Could I use a spare svs sb-1000 along with a pair of kh310? The svs does extend slightly lower if I'm not mistaken

temps

A hypothetically dumb question.. Could I use a spare svs sb-1000 along with a pair of kh310? The svs does extend slightly lower if I'm not mistaken
of course.

I'm running my 310s with a little Deftech Supercube 6000. I don't even high pass the speakers. Somehow it all sums perfectly well at the main LP and having the multiple sound sources worked very well to smooth out bass response.

Top Bottom