• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

respice finem

Major Contributor
So, coming back to topic, I have to wait and see how long my "Czech" Neumanns will last.
With my 2 hours a day of listening, probably longer than me, anyway :D if studios using them 8 hours a day are not complaining.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
So, coming back to topic, I have to wait and see how long my "Czech" Neumanns will last.
With my 2 hours a day of listening, probably longer than me, anyway :D if studios using them 8 hours a day are not complaining.
Lol
How are you liking the sound so far?

respice finem

Major Contributor
I did theoretically, but decided to buy the Neumanns mainly for their waveguides (my room is rather difficult) and good access to service just in case.

respice finem

Major Contributor
BTW: If WAF plays a role, the Genelecs (the SAM would be in the same class) might be more acceptable , they also have digital input if desired, so a tough choice TBH. If you want the Neumann for a room with guests/kids, I would recommend getting the (sadly very expensive) grilles, because the midrange driver is very exposed (and fragile).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
BTW: If WAF plays a role, the Genelecs (the SAM would be in the same class) might be more acceptable , they also have digital input if desired, so a tough choice TBH.
I guess the 8350A is in the same class but is only 2-way.
And the next level are the Ones but they cost double than the KH310
So yeah, it's a hard choice

respice finem

Major Contributor
Perhaps, I didn't hear them anyway. Size isn't everything, as I've once heard "it doesn't need to be large, just thick and long" :D
But seriously: it all depends, for what stereo triangle size and room. I'm happy with mine in a 2m triangle and a moderately treated room, but for a 3m triangle or larger, I might need a sub.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Re: price increases - Nobody's thought of the huge cost increases in transportation currently? I gather it's insane at the moment.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Certainly an important factor, and will get much worse (CO2 tax). While it might not be much for the route between Czech Republic to Germany, the price is for all Europe, and some components are sourced from Asia. Looking at it this way, spending is the new saving :cool:

temps

How fragile is that midrange dome exactly? I've got a line on a pair of these, but they're missing the boxes... just wondering what I should bring to pack the speakers in when I shuffle them home.

Catalo

How fragile is that midrange dome exactly? I've got a line on a pair of these, but they're missing the boxes... just wondering what I should bring to pack the speakers in when I shuffle them home.
The dome is not overly fragile but I wouldn’t poke it harder than I’d poke my eyeballs with my eyelids closed (if that makes sense.)

I recently purchased a second hand pair without original boxes and had similar concerns. The previous owner shipped them each in bubble wrap and foam double boxed, and they held up great via UPS Ground.

Sounds like you don’t have to worry about shipping though. Individual cardboard boxes would be ideal, but I’d be comfortable transporting these in my car seat wrapped in towels.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Throwing away the boxes is not a good idea. I wouldn't risk packing them in with bubble foil and such, unless they have the grilles on. The dome top is approximately in line with the front baffle. For transport in a car, perhaps a simple way to transport them would be to put them with the drivers facing upwards, into the space right behind the front seats, so they can't topple. Then you don't need any packaging as long as it won't be raining or so.

aac

I'm afraid this is an "academic" discussion. Neumann is in a market position (at least in Germany) allowing them to have these prices.
They have no need and apparently no intention to satisfy the mass market. They don't even bother to have other colours than "mouse gray".

BTW the primary design is much older than 10 years, the Klein und Hummel O 300, late nineties, yes, the last millennium...
If an item is designed for perfection, it's easier to spoil it by "modernizing", than to really improve anything IMHO.
One area I can think of is using steeper 48 db octave crossover. With it help kh80 is almost coaxial-like, so here probably the same can be achieved with mid and tweeter.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Re: price increases - Nobody's thought of the huge cost increases in transportation currently? I gather it's insane at the moment.
I don't buy it, why hasn't Genelec and other companies increased the prices?

Top Bottom