• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

respice finem

Major Contributor
...and since the KH310A is fully analog, not many chips to be expected, maybe the analog-active crossover, but not much else. The power amps are discrete A/B are chip amps (thanks @dfuller for correction) costing perhaps 4$ a piece, anyway, they rise the prices so they seem to be able to...

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes - for me it is a real deterrent.
I was not expecting such a price increase for a pair of speakers that exists already for so long, without any improvements.
They should become cheaper and not pricier.
Agree. In electronics, release a better new version when you want to jack the price.

dfuller

Major Contributor
...and since the KH310A is fully analog, not many chips to be expected, maybe the analog-active crossover, but not much else. The power amps are discrete A/B.
Not true. The amps are TDA7293 chip amps, I believe 4 per speaker (1 each tweeter and mid, 2 bridged for woofer). Plus, analog active actually needs more ICs (albeit much cheaper ones, e.g. TL072 or NE5532). Figure you could use some kind of STM32 for DSP and a CS4272 codec (or just use class D chip amps that can take a digital input and a decent ADC) for a DSP 2-way comfortably. An analog active crossover might take up to a dozen op-amps.

CMB

Price is there where offer and demand meets.

As good as they are. The lost some points in the price value ratio. Actually, to me they slided from a very no brainer good bargain, to, let us see what others have to offer (like build in dsp/ better WAF etc...) and what might come (eg GGNTKT M2 instead of KH420 etc).

Now there is no more hurry to buy them. Will take around 5 years until inflation has made up to it .

respice finem

Major Contributor
For an amateur like me it's an absolute luxury anyway, even many pros are working with cheaper monitors. That said, in larger studios the tempting point is the absence of latency from the box itself (no ADC/DAC needed). But most of those studios will already have them.

Dgob

That depends on how many complaints I get on that "bass shelf" and temperature thing. :) It took a lot of work to get closer to perfection and cost me the time to review other speakers. If we can leave anal commentary on them, I can ask for more speakers to be tested.

BTW, this testing came about because members asked for it. So let them know what else you want tested.
It would be great to see the results from testing the Wharfedale Elysian 2 speakers with their stands. I have heard tremendous things about them and their performance seems to fall somewhere around the Revel F208s' (which I have just bought) and Neumann KH 310As.

Fingers crossed.

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Does anyone know relatively affordable stands for these? I looked up the prices of a pair of K&M stands + accessories needed according to Neumann, and in total it was an eye-watering €1310 at Thomann. That’s 1/3 of what I paid for the speakers themselves! :facepalm:

I’m not a cheap skate by any means but €1K+ for what seems to be relatively straight forward speaker stands is a bit ridiculous. I just need a stable non-resonating platform that can adjust angle and height.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Does anyone know relatively affordable stands for these? I looked up the prices of a pair of K&M stands + accessories needed according to Neumann, and in total it was an eye-watering €1310 at Thomann. That’s 1/3 of what I paid for the speakers themselves! :facepalm:

I’m not a cheap skate by any means but €1K+ for what seems to be relatively straight forward speaker stands is a bit ridiculous. I just need a stable non-resonating platform that can adjust angle and height.

If you like the look: K&M 26791 (219 EUR) + Neumann LH 25 (78 EUR) + Neumann LH 48 (38 EUR) = 335 EUR per piece in Germany. Is it so much more expensive where you live?

Takanaka

Forum Donor
If you like the look: K&M 26791 (219 EUR) + Neumann LH 25 (78 EUR) + Neumann LH 48 (38 EUR) = 335 EUR per piece in Germany. Is it so much more expensive where you live?
I looked at the LH 41 + LH 36 + LH 48 + K&M 26795 combo. I live right next to Germany so there shouldn’t be any price differences.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I looked at the LH 41 + LH 36 + LH 48 + K&M 26795 combo. I live right next to Germany so there shouldn’t be any price differences.

The LH41 + LH36 have the advantage of being compatible to KH420, too, AFAIK. The 26795 is the longer/higher version of the 26791.

I got these https://www.thomann.de/de/km_26754.htm
They look a bit "technical", but are very stable and both swivel and tilt are possible.
You can take any stable 3rd party stand, if you don't need this option.

Out of interest: The monitors are just lying on top of these or can they be fixed somehow?

respice finem

Major Contributor
I use those little sticky silicone feet, fixing with screws would only be possible at the sides.
They sit very stable on those stands, however I wouldn't do this for a mobile setup or in a household with kids running around.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The best and cheapest stands
speakerstandafter-8qlvmcqfGuJ3VY49dC6OVnjFh1eq9i14 (1).jpg

aac

On the product page they are shown on konig meyer 21455 which is around 100 eur, you'd need few adapter and they'll probably run you as much as stand. It's a rather high stand, but there's a tilting option availablr from neumann (some adapters which neumann sells are available from K&M for much cheaper price).
It should be really stable despite it's light weight because of construction and how wide its legs are. Not the prettiest sight, but surely it'll work.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
If you sit low enough, this will suffice. Rubber mat or similar between speaker and stool, all done.
The acoustic center (the space between the tweeter and midrange waveguides) should be at ear level.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I made my own stands from MDF, including 4 shelfs for CDs (they are for the K&H O300D but should also match the Neumann KH 310). I don't think I payed more than €20 for all the material. I can look for the planning sheets if someone is interested.

DIY-stand for KH-O300D.jpg

respice finem

Major Contributor
Simple and brilliant idea! :cool: For those of us without CDs, they may double as an equipment racks or book shelves.

Top Bottom