• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that would be a nice product especially for home use, but if you rotate tweeter and midrange the box has to be significantly bigger.

Edit: It would fit nicely in the middle, though...

Screenshot 2021-05-23 162436.png

Last edited:

smcc

It seriously needs an update

I dunno, auto power down would be nice...but other than that, you're talking built-in DSP...personally one the main reasons I went for these over the genelec ones is that there's no latency (i.e analog); so no, even if I could get a free upgrade I wouldn't want DSP in them...that said, I would be interested to know how much better they could sound with digital crossovers, I imagine the dispersion could be improved a bit.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I dunno, auto power down would be nice...but other than that, you're talking built-in DSP...personally one the main reasons I went for these over the genelec ones is that there's no latency (i.e analog); so no, even if I could get a free upgrade I wouldn't want DSP in them...that said, I would be interested to know how much better they could sound with digital crossovers, I imagine the dispersion could be improved a bit.
Why would you avoid DSP when you need LF EQ in any case?

dfuller

Major Contributor
It adds an extra few ms of latency. Some care about that more than others.

smcc

Personal use case, I do indeed have LF EQ in my all in one interface/digital-mixer/system-processor (which has 0.8ms latency I/O)...so I don't need/want any more processing or ADDA...also it's nice to be able to go analog on the patchbay if I'm playing my keyboard, I prefer the odd bump to lag when playing (although I'm on the fence whether I can detect that 0.8ms...but 3 or 4 and I would)...

Last edited:

smcc

They're great speakers for studio use...anything that's wrong, or just not great, is immediately obvious...but also, nothing is forced, so there's no need to second guess yourself, or micromanage...I doubt anything more expensive is really worth it unless you're a mastering engineer in a pro designed room tbh.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Okay, so my pair showed up today.

I think the thing I didn't anticipate was how ridiculously stable the phantom center is. This is one of only a very few speakers I've heard that actually sounds like there's a center channel. The detail is insane as well - but not in a false boosted highs kind of way, but rather an extraordinarily low distortion kind of way. Perhaps my only nitpick is they seem rather bass-light compared to the Barefoots they replaced... but those were pretty seriously bass boosted.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
The leaner bass is the more lifelike bass IMHO, after a few days you will not want more. Many speakers (and most multichannel systems anyway) provide overblown bass masking fine detail in the midrange.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Indeed, 200€ per unit more (in Germany). Tax hikes are expected, but after the September elections, so probably they simply follow the seemingly "booming" market. Just checked @ Thomann Germany, "available in approx. 1 week" = temporarily sold out.

Hesitant buyers have got inflation anxiety and started to buy "last minute"?

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Ideed, 200€ per unit more (in Germany). Tax hikes are expected, but after the September elections, so probably they simply follow the seemingly "booming" market. Just checked @ Thomann Germany, "available in approx. 1 week" = temporarily sold out.

Hesitant buyers have got inflation anxiety and started to buy "last minute"?
If i knew they would raise the price i would have bought a pair

Moonhead

All Kh line up has risen even The sub, they do that from time to time, Maybe something new around The corner, Maybe people have looked at Them more lately.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The KH310A is the Rodney Dangerfield of monitors. It has been called everything except “superlative”. Contrast this to anything from Genelec.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The KH310A is the Rodney Dangerfield of monitors. It has been called everything except “superlative”. Contrast this to anything from Genelec.
for its size, it's straight up outstanding. It sounds like something much bigger.

Top Bottom