• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

F1308

Major Contributor
For symmetry for optimal imaging as otherwise if both MT were for example placed on the left side the image would be slightly shifted to that direction.
Thank you very much....
But the reason for my question was in fact if I am committed to place what is called "right" speaker precisely in the right channel...or could buy a "left" and "right" speaker but using them with the woofer in the outer side...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much....
But the reason for my question was in fact if I am committed to place what is called "right" speaker precisely in the right channel...or could buy a "left" and "right" speaker but using them with the woofer in the outer side...
Sure, sorry that I misunderstood your original question.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'm still catching up witht he posts here, but these things are just under £3,000 the pair inc VAT from Thomann

https://www.thomann.de/gb/neumann_k...yVd3qfNg_7RohDBVSLluR8GlClcmyKM4aAg16EALw_wcB

I appreciate the looks aren't exactly waf friendly and a veneered wooden sleeve and grille would add hugely to the price, but they're not that big and on visuals alone, they MUST be better than a UK-centric passive system from the usual UK suspects.

Such a crying shame that domestic purchasers relying on high end dealers won't be able to experience the likes of these and the dealer alternative would be some inferior passive speakers and expensive amps based on old fashioned designs that sell on reputation rather than actual performance (UK based observers will know what I mean ;) )

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I knew there were problems with the preference score when a thrice reviewed mini monitor with a 4 inch mid/woof scored higher than several well engineered floor standers with fairly smooth but not perfect directivity curves that could play 10db louder and go a full octave or more deeper with lower distortion levels. It was clear to me at that point that certain important criterea weren't being properly weighted if they were even factored in at all.
Although I agree in general there was a review where the KH80 was compared to the KH310 in a listening test and faired a little bit better as long as SPL was within its limit and the music did not contain very low bass. I think it was Sound & Recordings review of the KH80.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are all drivers protected by grills on the KH120 and not on this one?

Habu

Yeah, I've always found these speakers to be very aesthetically pleasing ever since the O300D. For mastering speakers, they look friendly and approachable. You can picture vocals coming out of that midrange dome. That being said, I would be deathly afraid of accidentally touching it. Looks like that happened here:

klein-hummel-kh-o300d-2897517.jpg

Hello from France

You can buy Neumann GKH 310 Metal grille to protect them:

8228514_800.jpg

neumann_gkh310_kh310_l_zoom_1024x1024.jpg

Sincerely yours

Habu

Habu

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
£140pr for grilles most pro's wouldn't need isn't excessive if they're as bomb-proof as suggested ;)

May I comment about the Left-right driver alignment please? I've often seen the mid-tweets set on the outside as suggested in a previous post relevant to the Thomann ad (and so on), but in my domestic audio days (daze?) I used to recommend placing offset mids and tweets to the inside and with my large three ways, I found imaging (not that wonderful at the best of times in too small a room) to be slightly better when set this way (the manufacturers actually recommended it too). I appreciate a better 'point source' speaker may be much better than this though.

Not being in the thick of it any more, I have to say I was delighted to have a goodly listen to Kii Threes not too long ago along with their 'controller,' and I was surprised to find them effortless to hear through and almost 'sweet toned' in comparison with the more expensive passive Dynaudios my local dealer sells. if these Neumanns at little more than a third of the price can compete here, they must be something of abargain as long as waf issues don't rear their ugly head....

hyperplanar

Why are all drivers protected by grills on the KH120 and not on this one?
I vaguely remember reading the explanation for this in an interview... Basically it's because the KH120 was intended to be portable for use in OB vans and other mobile setups, while the KH310 is more of an immobile studio-only type of product. Neumann even sells a carrying case for the KH120s. So it had to be able to take a bit of a beating in transport—pop the two monitors into the case and go. Seems kind of odd now with the KH80 being a thing, but the KH120s came out long before those.

Top Bottom