• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

temps

Oh, I had missed one gem:

Really?? What is sold in that quality/price class more than those? Definitely not Dynaudio, here is the sales top 20 of the biggest studio shop in Europe https://www.thomann.de/intl/topseller_GK_stmo.html including 2 Genelecs and the "very poor value" KH 120 on third place.

Same at Sweetwater which is one of the biggest shops on the other side of the pond, https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors I see 5 Genelec models on the first when you sort by popularity and not a single Dynaudio.
Where did I say Dynaudio was a good selling monitor...? Why do you keep mentioning Genelec? At no point have I said it's a poor value... in fact, if you go back a little ways, the 8330 was a monitor I used to illustrate what a waste of money the 120 was. :facepalm: Anybody buying a 120 should have gotten a 8030 instead. It is nice to see that too many people are wasting their money on 120s, though. I will have to keep beating this drum, apparently, until the KH 120 II comes out. It'd have to stay at the same price level while gaining all the extra features of the KH 80 for it to be a success.

JBL 305 chart shows a 5dB swing in just three semitones, right in a critical region for mixing. This is going to cause translation issues. Do you even know what those are? Your Kali distortion chart shows a speaker that, throughout almost its entire bandwidth, is more distorted at 86dB than a Genelec 8030 playing 10dB louder... It also has a 5dB swing through 1500-2000hz, although at least it does it a little less slowly than the JBL. Not sure why you used these examples when you could have gone with the Adam T5V instead?
Of course it will be strange to you, it always is.

It is easy to detect when someone runs out of arguments, they just get personal with wild accusations that they cannot even prove.
Funny coming from a guy who is refuting things I never even said... this is all quite humorous though, by all means, keep talking about these monitors and how they're used in an environment you've never even set foot in

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did I say Dynaudio was a good selling monitor...? Why do you keep mentioning Genelec?
You should really read what others write, my response was to your claim "This sentiment is obviously shared by the industry at large as both Genelec and Neumann have failed to dominate this market segment." which is of course untrue, as I showed.

Anybody buying a 120 should have gotten a 8030 instead. It is nice to see that too many people are wasting their money on 120s, though. I will have to keep beating this drum, apparently, until the KH 120 II comes out.
You can repeat your very individual and strange opinion as often as you like but you see that are you are quite alone there and must also expect to get the counterarguments and opinions of others who don't see it the way you do.

Funny coming from a guy who is refuting things I never even said...
Nope, you just sway your arguments when you see that they are smashed.

keep talking about these monitors and how they're used in an environment you've never even set foot in
Now that is funny from a guy who claims to have be in such a production environment and just last year discovered how great the Neumanns are and was surprised how much better they are than his Dynaudios, wich rather sounds like a hobbyist.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a terrible source that really doesn't prove anything... the list has already changed. My guess is it only takes one or two purchases to make a large move on the rankings, seeing how there was a Universal Audio interface at #6 yesterday which isn't on the list at all today.
The daily/weely fluctuations are normal and small, still the mentioned Neumann and Genelec are on similar high rankings, which by the way you can indirectly see also from the number of ratings.

There is nothing strange about pointing out, correctly, the 120's performance is equaled by many cheaper monitors
Even if you repeat ten times it, it doesn't stop being wrong, the only market popular 5" monitor which is on the same highest level is the Genelec which is on a similar price level.

Notice how I poked a bunch of holes in you proposing the Kali and JBL, two horribly compromised entry level monitors, and you made no attempt whatsoever to counter either argument? This is precisely what I'm talking about. Very cute.
Since you insist, lets grab again your quote "Kali is a mess of distortion" and I showed that at 86dB which is the meaningful in this size class, its distortions are above 50 Hz below -40 dB which is 1% and this is not a mess, but rather inaudible and a very good value.
Also, I never claimed that its as good as the class leading Neumann/Genelec and the LYD5 that was the reason of this discussion also fails at 96dB but costs several times more. Same about the FR irregularities, everyone can see them easily, but in opposition to directivity problems those can be easily fixed by EQ (even freely at their usual intended usage, namely desktop monitoring).

My original argument was that the Genelec/Neumann cost more than the LYD but are also better (without any of those being "very poor value" like you claimed), same as the LYD is also better in some aspects than the much cheaper Kali/JBL but all being very good value, so don't try to turn it around.

You'll notice those are KH 310s, not 120s... I would hope a $3,250 monitor is significantly better than a $780 one? It's always different having the speakers in your own space... you also apparently don't understand the economics of being in a band, and why many of us have gone to home studios...
Again you write something completely different than my argument, don't know if it is a language problem or on purpose attempts to poison the well. My argument was that you just discovering the good sound of the KH310 just last year, is in contradiction of your attempt to show yourself as a professional in mastering/mixing and on a much higher level then me "an environment you've never even set foot in".

so with this, you finally land on my ignore list. The most pathetic argument yet of all the garbage you've thrown out here. :rolleyes:
Your aggressive, insulting personal attacks won't bring your argumentation further, also I won't give you the pleasure of putting on ignore as in ASR wrong statements should be tackled.

temps

Is it me or this thread is going to shits .. please dm each other
No problem. Cleaned up what I could. Admin can handle the rest.

Reactions: Pio

ethanhallbeyer

Hey just saw your post in this thread. Still using the KH310 or moved on? Curious about your experience with SCM19 and KH310. I assume you experimented with SCM19 to try to get the best out of them (like imaging). In what areas did you find the SCM19 to outdo the KH310? The former is supposed to be known for clarity and openness in highs and mids. Later is said by some to sound "darker".

By the way, do the KH310 hiss when there's nothing playing? If so, how loudly? Not sure if it's avoidable in active speakers at all but the best of them probably are quiet enough that you really have to hold your ear up against the speaker to hear any hissing.

So I received my KH310s this week (this review directly influenced my decision). I must say, first impressions are positive. I was impressed with the packaging, and the fact each speaker came with a UK, US and Euro mains plug. They are smaller than I expected, but the old saying about good things and small packages rings true here.

My previous setup was a Parasound A21 into mk2 ATC SCM19s. The living room is about 4.7x3.5m (12'x16') and listening position is width-ways i.e. sat against the middle of a long wall facing the other long wall. Seat to speaker distance is ~3m (13'). I typically listen to music via Roon, so had an EQ that calmed my room modes down. Apart from freeing up the space the Parasound occupied (several acres, it's bloody huge), notable improvements are (and this is all subjective):

- clarity; things like high-hats, snare drums and cymbals sound sharper and stand out more now
- bass response; generally tighter (not that the ATC was bad), things like bass guitar riffs sound cleaner when the notes change
- improved imaging; my room isn't great (WAF prevents acoustic treatment), but the ATCs struggled to give a sharp soundstage. These are better although still limited by the room
- realness; I can't describe it better than that. Instruments sound much more like they would in person. Amir summed it up when he stated that they just sound right, I couldn't agree more.

I can't believe you can buy this level of quality sound reproduction at this price. What was I thinking buying passives and amps?! The only thing left now is to justify a KH750 or two to get that sub 40Hz bass response. The idea of getting two of them and using the DSP function to create a pair of 4-ways appeals.

ethanhallbeyer

I love seeing all the Neumann KH310 love here!

I have to agree. When I first ordered my KH310’s a while ago, at first it felt a little nervous / risky / remorseful since at the time it was my most expensive speaker purchase ever. But as soon as they arrived, all doubt of any kind washed away; then and ever since, I’ve believe they are a bargain for what you get.

Yeah, I think the KH310 occupies a wonderful “sweet spot” between the cheaper two-ways from both Neumann and Genelec, and much more expensive three-ways (like the much more expensive Genelec 8351B which are approximately twice as expensive in the US).

One of the few other contending three-way speakers in a similar price category would be Revel F206, but having owned those and heard those back-to-back, I believe the Neumann KH310’s are much better.

Hey, I was wondering if the KH310 would still be what you consider better bang for the buck vs 8351B, or if there's a new contender for that title? Also, it appears Neumann offers a 2 year warranty only, and apparently with no extension to 3 years with registration (like Genelec offers). I'm wondering how reliable the Neumann's will be in the long term, especially with the amps built in. Also, I read somewhere there's an issue encountered by some with easily blown tweeters on them, with some on their 3rd pair due to it.

Lastly, did you notice any hissing coming out of the KH310 while idle?

Newman

Major Contributor
So by “long term”, you specifically mean the window between 2 and 3 years after purchase?

StuartC

Forum Donor
Hey just saw your post in this thread. Still using the KH310 or moved on? Curious about your experience with SCM19 and KH310. I assume you experimented with SCM19 to try to get the best out of them (like imaging). In what areas did you find the SCM19 to outdo the KH310? The former is supposed to be known for clarity and openness in highs and mids. Later is said by some to sound "darker".

By the way, do the KH310 hiss when there's nothing playing? If so, how loudly? Not sure if it's avoidable in active speakers at all but the best of them probably are quiet enough that you really have to hold your ear up against the speaker to hear any hissing.
Hi, I'm still using the Neumann's and am very happy with them. No obvious hissing from listening position.

As far as comparison to SCM19s, it's so long ago now that I don't recall the exact improvements, but I seem to remember the sound was more crisp perhaps? Tbh, the biggest advantage for me was the elimination of a bloody great amplifier from my living room.

But in summary, they're great, surprisingly small but with perfect (for me) sound. I plan to buy more Neumann's to replace the rest of my home theatre setup.....

dfuller

Major Contributor
For some reason he claims the tweeter is very very bad on - 6:40
Ermin's a decent mastering engineer, but I wouldn't trust a bloody thing he says about speakers.

SlowCar

Will this speaker work fine using it from 3 - 3.5 meters? Speakers 2.5 meters apart.
Will connecting it to Denon 3700 preouts won't be an issue?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Will this speaker work fine using it from 3 - 3.5 meters? Speakers 2.5 meters apart.
Should be fine for that, assuming you cross it with a sub.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I've done this; if you're a basshead you'll hear the limiter but otherwise it's just fine for typical domestic use. If you watch a lot of Marvel movies, yes you'll need a sub (but either way a sub will be better)

Edit: at this distance I had much better luck with 708P, which can be much cheaper in the US.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using the predecessor (K&H O300D) at that distance. I had them for about a year and did not miss anything, coming from Magnepan 1.6. The I borrowed a sub just to find out what it's all about, and did not bring it back to the shop. Not only is deep bass more audible and less resonant but the lower mids also improved in clarity.

I've read somewhere that Neumann improved the KH310 [edit: fixed from KH320] in the bass for about 7 dB higher SPL so it's possible that it's not that much in need of a sub like the O300D. Still I would invest into a sub any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMB

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I've read somewhere that Neumann improved the KH320 in the bass for about 7 dB higher SPL so it's possible that it's not that much in need of a sub like the O300D. Still I would invest into a sub any day.
KH420? For a minute there I thought we had a substantial new speaker update in the works. o_O

Top Bottom