• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all, I'm considering to order a pair of KH310 to use with a pair of KH750. I have two questions and appreciate your comments: 1. How's quality of 310? My friend's 310 got problem with the amplifier. Not sure if this just happen occationally or a bit common? 2. Since the 310 do not have standby mode, do you leave them on all the time or turn them off after using them? Thank you!
I have had no problems at all with my 310's. They should not be left on all the time. They should be turned off if they are not in use.

HQY

I have had no problems at all with my 310's. They should not be left on all the time. They should be turned off if they are not in use.
Thank you very much for the advice. :)

HQY

Craftmanship is perfect in my opinion. Zero problems since over a year when I got them.
I don't like to waste energy so my monitors are connected to dedicated power strip with switch so I could turn them off every time when I won't use them.
There is no power-pop, just takes them like 10 seconds to enable after powering on.
Now I'm thinking about connecting strip to smart wifi plug so monitors would be powered on by phone or maybe automatically with PC.
Thank you very much for the comments. :)

HQY

Why aren't you Getting the KH420 instead of KH310 + subs?
I thought KH420s are more expensive, and also I'd like to use MA1. I thought it would align not only the 310 and 750, but also the speaker system and the room.

boxerfan88

Posting a query here for guidance.

If I have no choice but to place the speaker above ear-level, can I compensate it by tilting down the speaker so that the acoustic axis points to the ear position?

Something like this:

2023-01-27-07-17-27-Speaker-Placement-v3-pptx-Microsoft-Power-Point.png

Is this workable? What are the likely impact to soundstage, imaging, etc...?

Appreciate all perspectives. Thank you.

HQY

If I have no choice but to place the speaker above ear-level, can I compensate it by tilting down the speaker so that the acoustic axis points to the ear position?

Something like this:

Please see enclosed quote from P10 of the manual.

Attachments

• 310.png
    310.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 276

teashea

Something like this:

This technique is often used and should have no problems. That is a pretty small angle.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please see enclosed quote from P10 of the manual.
Somewhat related:

Lawmaker09

The KH3 manual and other sources (mfr website) do not indicate any preference to switch off the speakers in my reading of them. Other than conservation of electricity, do the electronics deteriorate as often have the DACs, Pi's and amp's on a switched-on mode.

Lawmaker09

Something like this:

The KH3 manual on page 10 has such a positioning mentioned and indicates as long as the loudspeaker is positioned so that there is a direct line of sight from the listening position to the bass, midrange, and tweeter drivers it should be fine.

teashea

The KH3 manual and other sources (mfr website) do not indicate any preference to switch off the speakers in my reading of them. Other than conservation of electricity, do the electronics deteriorate as often have the DACs, Pi's and amp's on a switched-on mode.
I always switch off my electronics. To me the less wear the better.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I read somewhere that it's worst for PCB boards and electronics in general to be turned off and on a lot vs leaving electronics on
Because on and off=hot/cold which is unhealthy for it

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power consumption (idle) is 24 W per piece. This means around 14 Euro per month in my country for a stereo pair, if you leave them on all the time.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HQY

KH150s could be easier and you can leave them on all the time as the power consumption is way less and they have standby mode.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KH150s could be easier and you can leave them on all the time as the power consumption is way less and they have standby mode.
Yes, 15 Watt idle, 0.3 Watt standby

Lawmaker09

I read somewhere that it's worst for PCB boards and electronics in general to be turned off and on a lot vs leaving electronics on
Because on and off=hot/cold which is unhealthy for it
One would think this will be a settled issue either way (on or off) given PCBs have been around for a while for folks to have done test work on that.

Top Bottom