• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the grill specs and visuals https://en-de.neumann.com/gkh-310
Cost per what I can figure... is lowest at
It looks very nice. I would not use it because I do not need it and it would not match my other Neumann speakers, which have no grills, but for someone with children, kitties, etc I think it would make a lot of sense. And it is not too expensive. Quite reasonable really.

Honken

And it is not too expensive. Quite reasonable really.
We have different definitions of reasonable then, I bought my previous pair of speakers for the same price as what those grilles cost here and I was rather happy with those speakers (Elac DBR-62). They also came with grilles included.

Anyway, personally I don't use the grilles, but it isn't due to the price. With the grilles on I wouldn't be able to see that mid dome, it's captivating and I wan't to see it.

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Been using the KH 310’s + KH 750 DSP combo for a while now. Still sound like the day I got them.

The sub is definitely worth it in my experience, I used to ignore advice to buy a sub if you had monitors with a decent low end but in the end it makes a giant difference to offload the heavy bass lifting to something that is physically way more capable.

I recently got their NDH 30 headphone as well, sounds very similar (tuning is based on a calibrated KH 120/310 + KH 750 sub setup) and sounds more natural than a HD800S IMO.

TLDR: Neumann is awesome. :)

nbot

Potentially stupid question - has anybody tried pairing 310s with any other subwoofer than KH-750? Would it even make any sense at all?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Potentially stupid question - has anybody tried pairing 310s with any other subwoofer than KH-750? Would it even make any sense at all?
I use them with a Rythmik F12. If anything it makes more sense.

nbot

I use them with a Rythmik F12. If anything it makes more sense.
Ohh that's interesting! How do they sound together? Do you have any problems such as bad synchronization between speakers and subwoofer? Do you use any external DSP to control them both?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Ohh that's interesting! How do they sound together? Do you have any problems such as bad synchronization between speakers and subwoofer? Do you use any external DSP to control them both?
They sound pretty good! I have a MiniDSP 4x10HD that I use for cross, but I'd use a flex instead of I was buying today.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
You have to set delay, phase and volume correctly for any sub and adjust them to the mains. The KH750 only has the advantage that you can use the built-in DSP for this - which even works automatically with the MA1. With all others you have to use some other device or software for this purpose, e.g. a MiniDSP, EQAPO or Dirac. But then, of course, the result can be just as good (or even better, theoretically) with other subs,

nbot

You have to set delay, phase and volume correctly for any sub and adjust them to the mains. The KH750 only has the advantage that you can use the built-in DSP for this - which even works automatically with the MA1. With all others you have to use some other device or software for this purpose, e.g. a MiniDSP, EQAPO or Dirac. But then, of course, the result can be just as good (or even better, theoretically) with other subs,
Thanks for detailed explanation!

HQY

I'm courious how a 310/750 combination 2.2 stereo setup compare with 420. I assumue it has advantage of DSP which can align the 310 & 750 also with the room. Is that right?

teashea

I'm courious how a 310/750 combination 2.2 stereo setup compare with 420. I assumue it has advantage of DSP which can align the 310 & 750 also with the room. Is that right?
Interesting question. I would suspect that the KH420 would be better but I am not certain. I have never heard KH420's.

HQY

Honken

Well, seems the 420 would be quite a bit louder if you look at the tests done by Anselm Goertz for Sound and Recording. I am not sure if the extra bass extension of the 750 compared to the 420 would be noticable due to the low output volume at the deepest bass of the former. You would get a 4 way setup and DSP though.

From the tests done here at ASR, the 420 looks like the better speaker to me, and while I own the 310 and have heard the 420 I have never heard them in the same room so I can't directly compare. I am very happy with the 310 and I personally have no need for them to go louder.

teashea

Well, seems the 420 would be quite a bit louder if you look at the tests done by Anselm Goertz for Sound and Recording. I am not sure if the extra bass extension of the 750 compared to the 420 would be noticable due to the low output volume at the deepest bass of the former. You would get a 4 way setup and DSP though.

From the tests done here at ASR, the 420 looks like the better speaker to me, and while I own the 310 and have heard the 420 I have never heard them in the same room so I can't directly compare. I am very happy with the 310 and I personally have no need for them to go louder.
The loudness is an issue. Like you I have no need for my 310's to be louder. I use them exclusively as nearfield studio monitos.

Reactions: HQY

HQY

Thank you very much for the comments and information provided. It's very helpful. For me, I think 310 could be loud enough for my need. :)

Last edited:

HQY

Hi all, I'm considering to order a pair of KH310 to use with a pair of KH750. I have two questions and appreciate your comments: 1. How's quality of 310? My friend's 310 got problem with the amplifier. Not sure if this just happen occationally or a bit common? 2. Since the 310 do not have standby mode, do you leave them on all the time or turn them off after using them? Thank you!

Bamboszek

Craftmanship is perfect in my opinion. Zero problems since over a year when I got them.
I don't like to waste energy so my monitors are connected to dedicated power strip with switch so I could turn them off every time when I won't use them.
There is no power-pop, just takes them like 10 seconds to enable after powering on.
Now I'm thinking about connecting strip to smart wifi plug so monitors would be powered on by phone or maybe automatically with PC.

Top Bottom