• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It's called the pricing power. All costs have explode.
The market will decide if it's the good price or not.
Then i hope people will be smart and won't buy until prices will come down again.
Let's just hope 1992 Toyotas won't increase in price also:facepalm:

respice finem

Major Contributor
I'm afraid this is an "academic" discussion. Neumann is in a market position (at least in Germany) allowing them to have these prices.
They have no need and apparently no intention to satisfy the mass market. They don't even bother to have other colours than "mouse gray".

BTW the primary design is much older than 10 years, the Klein und Hummel O 300, late nineties, yes, the last millennium...
If an item is designed for perfection, it's easier to spoil it by "modernizing", than to really improve anything IMHO.

Bamboszek

Where are yours KH310 produced? My previous KH120 as expected had "Designed in Germany, Made in Ireland", much like at Amir's KH310 photos in first post.
I was a bit surprised to see "Designed in Germany, Made in Czech Republic" when I bought my new KH310 last week.
Let's just hope 1992 Toyotas won't increase in price also:facepalm:
Actually prices of used cars increased even about 20-30% year-over-year. Inflation is getting wild, probably because of pandemics.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I'm afraid this is an "academic" discussion. Neumann is in a market position (at least in Germany) allowing them to have these prices.
They have no need and apparently no intention to satisfy the mass market. They don't even bother to have other colours than "mouse gray".

BTW the primary design is much older than 10 years, the Klein und Hummel O 300, late nineties, yes, the last millennium...
If an item is designed for perfection, it's easier to spoil it by "modernizing", than to really improve anything IMHO.
You forgot you have three actors
The manufacturer.
The distributor.
The dealer.

respice finem

Major Contributor
BTW, the manufacturer (Sennheiser) is "restructuring" - I can't remember a single case when this brought down prices.
https://audiomediainternational.com/daniel-andreas-sennheiser-interview/
I am relatively confident, the KH 310 will cost more, not less, a year from now.
The serial numbers of mine (bought about 6 months ago) are under 600.000, which for me is part of the answer, why this is so.
Under 300.000 pairs - for the world market, a drop in the ocean.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
Sales record? If Neumann is able and willing to make so many.
The "philosophies" of such manufacturers are sometimes strange.
We will see in a year or so.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Lowering the quality would IMHO be suicidal in this market segment.
It takes a long time to build a reputation, but it can be gone in no time - see Opel's "Lopez effect", they've never really recovered from it.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Did you think the German are irreproachable?
The country does not matter. It's the production process the most important and the Czechs or the Chinese do as well.
Did you forgot the desiel gate?
This is absolutely not true
For example A Toyota made in Japan is of higher quality than one made in Turkey or China or whatever.
There's something beyond simple QC.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Just curious: Which Toyotas are still made in Japan? (to enable this comparison)
Basically I tend to agree, there is something like a "technical culture", leading to better overall quality (even with no restrictive QC).
In Japan it is their Kaizen philosophy, in Germany it is (or in large parts, was, alas) the "pride and honour" of their craftsmanship.
But with really good QC, even without this, you can achieve flawless quality, it's just harder at the beginning.
And, as always, you get what you pay for. As Jim Marshall once said, "you pay bananas, you get monkeys".

Last edited:
Top Bottom