• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Neumann page for the kh310 is full of misleading information then, I have too assume..
No. The recommendations are for typical studio use cases, like those from Genelec. Use in domestic homes is different insofar as most people play at lower SPL so you can use a monitor at longer distances than recommended. I also think that the KH310 can be used in the nearfield as midrange and tweeter are very close to each other.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What studios? Famous studios using Neumann, afaik, have them for their multi-speaker setups. Because for sure they are pretty good for the purpose, and for a really good price. But those studios don't have Neumann as their main.
Neumann has no main monitor in their lineup. The biggest monitor (KH420) is midfield and may act as a SPL limited "main" if you soffit mount it and add their biggest sub. For higher SPL look to the mains by Genelec, they have real monsters in their lineup.

Geert

Major Contributor
-the kh310 (which is sold as a nearfield monitor), has to be far way, because that's how it is supposed to be. 3 meters away??? ok...but then..
- ..you can't push the kh310 too loud, because they push the lows too far for a sealed cabinet of that size

This speaker can be used in the near field, no problem. Just make sure it's lined up correctly.

The low end is indeed the limiting factor when working on bass heavy music, also near field. You don't even need to take it to ear deafening levels. But it's workable.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The recommendations are for typical studio use cases
I would keep in mind as well that in a properly set up studio there is substantially less room gain.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks DJBonoBobo.

When I wrote my experience and my feelings after checking out the speakers, a lot of assumptions has been made on the reason why the speakers didn't perform well (if you believe on my judgement, of course). Thinking back to the experience, for sure I could have been more careful in creating the best listening scenario, but what I heard, for experience, is something beyond just being out of the sweet-spot. And I don't think speakers should be so dependent on all these factors. I remember the first time I listened to Genelecs, and some spatial music was played. I was sitting in a school pretty small room, with other people around, in a random spot, and I still remember how those Genelec showed me how a a pair of monitors can really create the acoustic illusion that a stereo field is. I don't think that if that day I was sitting 40 cm closer or further, or 50 cm left of right, it would have been any different.

Measurements. I believe in measurements. I like measurements. And I know that if you design something with measurements in mind, you can make choices to pass those measurements in the best way. But measurements are "discrete" representations of performances. It's a bit like passing a test with 100/100 because you studies the exact questions the test was about. And it's one of the easiest thing to achieve nowadays.
In my experience, the most commercial is a product/brand, the most it relies in showing measurements, linearity, wide frequency response, etc. They measure better then products considered to be the standard.
Then some of them (like Neumann) are actually good, but some of them are actual crap.
I have often said the KH310 can sound very bad in a bad room in my experience, but also very good when set up carefully.
The KH310 has good measurements and should be better than a lot of other speakers in that price range, but the KH150 is probably even less room dependent and easier to set up in a small room. I have heard the KH150, the Genelec 8351 and the D&D 8c uncorrected in a small room and none of them sounded good enough to me. But only because they could not play out their potential. All of them are just speakers, none is magical.

Honken

I start to be confused here, I have to say.
I navigated the forum a bit, and it seems that according to it, the world should be a sort of dystopic post-communism place, where each studio has either kh150, 310, or 420. Maybe some Genelecs are allowed, in your studio B.
But then I am told that:

-the kh310 (which is sold as a nearfield monitor), has to be far way, because that's how it is supposed to be. 3 meters away??? ok...but then..
- ..you can't push the kh310 too loud, because they push the lows too far for a sealed cabinet of that size

The Neumann page for the kh310 is full of misleading information then, I have too assume. Or, simply, they play on what the speaker shines at (not just that, I really enjoyed listening actual music on the kh310): measurements.
I did not mean to imply that the 310 needs to be listened to in the mid to far field, just that I do. Nor did I mean ti imply that they require a large distance to the side walls, just that I have a large distance to the sidewalls in my setup.

But to get the stereo image as I wanted it I had to fiddle a fair bit back 'n forth with toe in and positioning, moreso than my previous speakers in this room. Not sure what the minimum distance would be for a good sound, and don't particuarly care to trial 'n error my way to find out, instead I choose to believe what Neumann write in their manual where they recommend at least 1m distance, and 75cm at a minimum.

As for the loudness, I have no issues with the soundlevels personally, but as others have said, objectively they don't go loud loud. They are neither a main monitor, nor a speaker for your party venue. Not an issue in my home however.

Top Bottom