• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann kh 310 + hk 750 vs kh 420

Martijn W

I have never heard the KH 420. I can only speak for KH 310 + KH 750 which I own.

Distortion specs on the KH 750 are not as good as on the O800 (which i used with O300 monitors in the past).
That made me hesitate at first, but the KH 750 sounds very good. Tight dry bass like you would expect when you are familiar with O800 / KH 805 / KH 810. At high SPL differences may start to become apparent but even then it sounds very clean to me. I do like that the sub is closed as it provides better performance in the time domain. The O800 was ported design, but I must admit it sounded very good (tight and dry) as well..

Yesterday evening I realigned the KH 750 sub (with KH 310 monitors) using the Neumann MA 1 (see attached screenshots).
I am very satisfied with the result. I hear more information, especially in the low-end.
In addition to the frequency response the KH 750 provides phase response compensation.

Martijn

Attachments

• Neumann KH 750 KH 310 before.jpeg
    Neumann KH 750 KH 310 before.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 314
  • Neumann KH 750 KH 310 after.jpeg
    Neumann KH 750 KH 310 after.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 301

CMB

I have never heard the KH 420. I can only speak for KH 310 + KH 750 which I own.
Martijn

Hello Martijn, may I ask what your listening distance position, room size and type (treated/untreated...) are?

Martijn W

My room is about 6,4 meters x 3,9 meters. The ceiling is 'oblique' (+3m on on side and 1m on the other side).

My main setup in this room consists of Geithain monitors. These are set-up symetrical in the room. The Neumanns are used with my DJ setup against the short (3,9m) wall. The setup is very nearfield. The tweeters are 1,65m apart and the distance from the listening position to the tweeters is about 1,2m. There is lots of absorption in all corners and most walls are 'soft' (only the wall behind the Neumanns is a solid brick wall).
There is no absorption or diffusion on the rear wall behind the Neumanns (not yet anyway).

I think the KH 750 DSP 'realignment' makes the sound much more natural.. or less 'artificial'.
Especially when listening acoustical music they sound closer to the Geithains now (which I consider a good thing).

Attachments

• DJ Booth.jpeg
    DJ Booth.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:

rafaelpadro24

Hey folks, first post here. Sorry for pulling up this 20 day old thread, but just wanted to establish a few things specific to this particular combination.

Initially, I've noticed in a couple of places where it appears the certain individuals are mentioning what looks like adding TWO KH 750's to a set up that has a single pair of KH 310's in it. What's up wid dat??? I mean, I'm an audio mastering engineer, and a single KH 750 should be able to able to balance out the pair of KH 310's without a problem, right? You'd just run pink noise to your main 310's, set them for between 85dB to 90dB. Shut the signal off to THEM. Run the same pink noise to the 750, get your reading at your meter for 85dB to 90dB at the same measurement distance as you did for the left and right 310's; and voila....your balanced. Hopefully you were smart enough to measure the levels from where you'd be listening.

So, what's the deal with using two subs. sort of overkill from my perspective. Although, in my Home Theater I have a vintage set of powered Infinity Overture 3's for the mains that reproduce lows down to 22hz (after modification), that will impress most viewers in there at around 115dB. One of my MOST favorite movies for EXTREME low end is the remake of 'WAR of the Worlds' with Tom Cruise. After the machine comes up out of the ground and fully generates its charge....The low end frequency portion of that electrical charge that instantly vaporizes all living organic tissue it contacts is OUTSTANDING! It completely envelopes your body and forces you to become part of that scene, as it continues to 'powderize' everyone it touches.

But, I digress....

What's the yank for using two of the KH 750 subs in conjunction with a pair of KH 310A's

And for THAT matter, what's the deal with the KH 310a mounted on top of a KH 420. I mean, sure the KH 420 is LOUDER, but the range doesn't reach as low as the KH 310a's.

Does someone need lessons in basic audio principles? Not trying to be a jerk, just don't get the odd match-up

. . Falcon
What kind of modifications you did to your infinity overture composition 3. I have 4 and looking to upgrade the crossovers.

CMB

Trying to understand how the parametric EQ (25-320 Hz) on the KH 420 works (which seems to be an additional feature on the KH 420).

If someone could confirm my understanding please?
Do I understand it correctly, that you can choose only ONE frequency in total (from 3 FQ Ranges + applying choice 1-7 within that 1 range)?
And apply gain (-12 to +4) and Q (1 to 8).

I understand that you can apply 1 and only filter in the range of 25-320 Hz (?)
This, in addition to the acoustic controls on bass/middle/treble, is nice to have but still a bit limited, or?

Thanks

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Trying to understand how the parametric EQ (25-320 Hz) on the KH 420 works (which seems to be an additional feature on the KH 420).

If someone could confirm my understanding please?
Do I understand it correctly, that you can choose only ONE frequency in total (from 3 FQ Ranges + applying choice 1-7 within that 1 range)?
And apply gain (-12 to +4) and Q (1 to 8).

I understand that you can apply 1 and only filter in the range of 25-320 Hz (?)
This, in addition to the acoustic controls on bass/middle/treble, is nice to have but still a bit limited, or?

Thanks

Yes, correct. It is one analog PEQ for the most annoying room mode. Like the other analog acoustical controls it is nice to have if you cannot or do not want to use a DSP. One PEQ is much better than none, i think.
The moment you have a DSP you don't need any of those analog controls.

Reactions: CMB

CMB

Yes, correct. It is one analog PEQ for the most annoying room mode. Like the other analog acoustical controls it is nice to have if you cannot or do not want to use a DSP. One PEQ is much better than none, i think.
The moment you have a DSP you don't need any of those analog controls.
Thank you

Top Bottom