• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 470 90.9%

• Total voters

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ha yes dream on. That would be great but I don’t have the budget for KH150’s and subs!
I think it is always good to remember that Neumann audio engineers designed these as nearfield monitors. They are not pleasure listening speakers for midfield or farfield use. What are you going to use them for?

teashea

Neumann could offer larger versions of the KH750 to match their higher output monitors, like Genelec does. They could even make it ported, also what Genelec does.

The KH750 is a nice subwoofer but it sure does have limitations.
It is designed as a companion for nearfield studio monitor use - not for home theater. There are lots of bloated high distortion sub for that.

dfuller

Major Contributor
It is designed as a companion for nearfield studio monitor use - not for home theater. There are lots of bloated high distortion sub for that.
Dude - the 750 has barely more output down low than the KH310. It's not exactly what I'd call a beast of a sub.

teashea

Dude - the 750 has barely more output down low than the KH310. It's not exactly what I'd call a beast of a sub.
It is not designed to be a bloated beast. It is designed as a companion for Neumann nearfield monitors and in that capacity is is outstanding. In fact Neumann does not make any beasts. They are far too sophisticated for that.

Perhaps you should look elsewhere for your preferred beasts - like Home Theater forums - Dude.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

dfuller

Major Contributor
It is not designed to be a bloated beast. It is designed as a companion for Neumann nearfield monitors and in that capacity is is outstanding. In fact Neumann does not make any beasts. They are far too sophisticated for that.

Perhaps you should look elsewhere for your preferred beasts - like Home Theater forums - Dude.
First, back off with the attitude. Nothing I said there warrants that kind of response.

Second, measurements don't lie. It can barely do 94dB at 30hz at 10% THD. It's not a sub that can keep up with anything much larger than a kh150 or equivalent, given the tilt of most music. By contrast, the SV-2000 Pro from SVS and F12 from Rythmik use a 2" larger driver and larger cabinets and go considerably louder - 10 or more dB - for the same distortion performance.

Third, and I say this as somebody who quite likes the 310s and does work on them daily: cool it with the fanboyism. They're great speakers. They are not infallible.

Meyer’s Amie sub is probably a better match to the KH150 and KH310 in terms of its low distortion, high output capability.

Meyer stuff does have quite a bit of oomph behind it.

dickiefunk

I think it is always good to remember that Neumann audio engineers designed these as nearfield monitors. They are not pleasure listening speakers for midfield or farfield use. What are you going to use them for?
I will use them for mixing and recording in a small room at around 1.5m from the mixing position. I don’t monitor at loud volumes.

Hexspa

IMG_7399.jpeg

AgentWet

First of all, the room as substantial sound treatment. The wall panels are my proprietary design. One must also consider the size and shape of the room. Second, one must understand nearfield listening and the science involved in it. With very nearfield listening , it is important to consider the contribution of direct sound level compared to any reflected sound. Third, understand that not all reflected sound is bad. A certain amount of spread frequency reflection is good. A dead room is a terrible listening environment - if one could achieve that. I have been a music producer for sixteen years and this is my fourth studio. Here is a photo of the other side of this particular room in my studio. There are also large opening on the side of the room to assist in getting rid of standing bass waves. I also use several Focal, Audeze, BD and Neumann headphones to check and compare things.

View attachment 285372.
What?!?

:) Sorry, I couldn't help myself and I had to try some professional psychologist reaction...

It is nice, that you finally answered my 3 weeks old question. But after many "must" proclamations and many broadly known theories I still don't see any treatment in your room from all pictures you are posting. It looks like some exhibition of guitars and old furniture and some "art", but nothing looks like serious listening space.
It's clear that you have enough money to buy all that stuff and also that you have a feeling, that you are doing everything well and that you understand of everything and that you have a strong feeling that you can teach everybody about your truth. But from my point of view, everything in your room is set wrong. Just my opinion.

IamJF

Meyer’s Amie sub is probably a better match to the KH150 and KH310 in terms of its low distortion, high output capability.

For sure a great sub. But it's Meyer. They take €4500,- for an analog, active 15" sub. No measurement system or DSP or anything - just 2 analog channels in, done.

It can achieve 103dBSpl at 40Hz at 3% THD.

You can get 3 KH750 for that money. When you take processing from Meyer too probably 1-2 more... :p

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Just installed the new MA-1 1.6.3 software update and it's asking me to update the firmware in my KH150s. Does anybody knows what is the new firmware for the KH150s fixing or adding? I want to know before upgrading the firmware.

teashea

Just installed the new MA-1 1.6.3 software update and it's asking me to update the firmware in my KH150s. Does anybody knows what is the new firmware for the KH150s fixing or adding? I want to know before upgrading the firmware.
good question

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Hi,

has someone experience with both KH-150 and Adam A7V (or other Adam monitors)? I'm thinking about upgrade and KH-150 definitely seems like a good choice however as a fan of ribbon/AMT tweeter I'm a bit reluctant to go ahead with the purchase without knowing how resolving is the tweeter of KH-150. At the moment I have Adam A3X speakers and a budget Elac Debut 10.2 subwoofer working in my home office and despite my fine tuning efforts it still feels like the lower frequencies live their own life, so I'm looking for monitors that are capable of sufficient LF extension without resorting to subwoofer. Adam A7V looks like an obvious choice but the frequency range suggests a sub would still be necessary.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

unpluggged

as a fan of ribbon/AMT tweeter I'm a bit reluctant to go ahead with the purchase without knowing how resolving is the tweeter of KH-150
You don't need to worry, and Neumanns have much better directivity than anything with AMT. Not to say I do not like HEDD's AMT sound signature, though.

teashea

You don't need to worry, and Neumanns have much better directivity than anything with AMT. Not to say I do not like HEDD's AMT sound signature, though.
The tweeter of the KH 150 will reproduce the source exactly as it was recorded. It will not color it or enhance it or alter it. That is why the KH 150 is such an excellent monitor. If you want a speaker that will make the high frequencies shine brighter or sparkle, look elsewhere. Neumann's will not do that.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
I generally really like AMT tweeters for their resolution and airiness (sorry for using subjectivist terminology), but I'm open to try something else. As to the vertical directivity issues of AMTs I think in a nearfield listening position while tweeter is in the level of ears it's not that critical.
Unfortunately HEDD speakers are out of question due to numerous complaints about loud self noise and poor reliability.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
The tweeter of the KH 150 will reproduce the source exactly as it was recorded. It will not color it or enhance it or alter it. That is why the KH 150 is such an excellent monitor. If you want a speaker that will make the high frequencies shine brighter or sparkle, look elsewhere. Neumann's will not do that.
AMT or ribbon tweeter normally doesn't embellish or add high frequencies, at least my Elac, Quadral and Adam speakers never sound excessive in treble, harsh or sibilant, just very resolving. Apart from a couple of comments about KH-150 sounding dark I've seen overwhelmingly positive feedback. Neumanns are not cheap but according to measurements and reviews totally worth the price, considering the performance.

mj30250

I've used my share of AMTs, true ribbons, Be tweeters, etc. I would not personally describe the KH 150's treble as at all "dark", at least not in my largely untreated office space. The directivity of the AMT is wider than the Neumann's, though, so depending on your room and listening positioning, they may sound more lively but perhaps less focused. I'm a stickler for resolving, "live sounding" treble, and have no complaints about the 150s in this area.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
I've used my share of AMTs, true ribbons, Be tweeters, etc. I would not personally describe the KH 150's treble as at all "dark", at least not in my largely untreated office space. The directivity of the AMT is wider than the Neumann's, though, so depending on your room and listening positioning, they may sound more lively but perhaps less focused. I'm a stickler for resolving, "live sounding" treble, and have no complaints about the 150s in this area.
Thank you for the answer. I think most often darkness and brightness perception is in the ear of the beholder rather than being a representation of performance.

Top Bottom