• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 463 91.0%

• Total voters

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, I believe the value is not outstanding for the KH750. Although there is no actual alternative, if you want to use the integrated DSP of the Neumann monitor,

Yes, I would probably wait for a bigger DSP sub from Neumann or get two KH750.

That is an insight, I did not know until now. Would a subwoofer negate this flaw?

I am actually really leaning towards this solution, as I could get a quite good deal for the S360 and I much prefer the white speakers (although this is not a priority). As I understood, a sub would be mandatory for movies? Afaik the GLM system is more appropriate for multichannel solutions as well.
Would you say the S360 is a fitting match, even if I never „need“ all SPL reserves (as is the case with the KH420)?
I disagree entirely about the value of the KH750. It is a tremendous value. Quality costs. To me it is worth it. Cheaper subs are - cheaper. I don't want cheap - I want excellence.

nnitr

I disagree entirely about the value of the KH750. It is a tremendous value. Quality costs. To me it is worth it. Cheaper subs are - cheaper. I don't want cheap - I want excellence.
I get what you are saying and I agree, but note I said „not outstanding“ value. The Arendal sub cost about the same and is arguably a „better value“, since it plays flat as well and with a much higher SPL than the KH750, but of course without the DSP power.

Just a heads up - you can quote multiple people in just one reply, no need for the back-to-back posts.

HQY

My KH310's have no advantage over my KH150's except the very sligh bass extension.
Does this mean if pair with KH750, KH150 would be preferred over the KH310? Thanks!

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Here is data posted by @Curvature here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh150.33454/page-27#post-1292614

Comparison of published Neumann data of THD at 90 dB SPL.
index.php

KH150KH310
less distortion between 100 and 300 Hz (i guess an advantage of the 6.5 inch driver vs. the 8 inchless distortion around 50Hz (i guess an advantage of the 8 inch vs. 6.5 inch)
less distortion around 1500Hz (i guess an advantage of the dedicated midrange

Otherwise very similar.

Another comparison i made originally here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh150.33454/post-1314612

KH120KH150KH310
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

So, you see: FR is great for all of them.
Directivity is a little more smooth with the KH150, but more narrow than KH310.
KH150 has of course the nice DSP-features and is much cheaper.

So, as everyone is saying for a long time: They are all good, actually very similar in most regards and you have to decide which one is the best for your own use case.

Last edited:

changer

I am actually really leaning towards this solution, as I could get a quite good deal for the S360 and I much prefer the white speakers (although this is not a priority). As I understood, a sub would be mandatory for movies? Afaik the GLM system is more appropriate for multichannel solutions as well.
Would you say the S360 is a fitting match, even if I never „need“ all SPL reserves (as is the case with the KH420)?
The very nice situation in which you are in is that you want to listen to the speakers from a true mid-field distance. The listening position 4 meters from the speakers comes as a great bonus in my opinion, when considering the S360. Their output cabability of the S360 is extremely high, you must never worry about that. From this distance, however, the tighter pattern of a waveguided speaker opens up and really strives. With more room sound spilling into the controlled pattern, you will get the great imaging of reduced early reflections while still much more envelopment and spaciousness than when listening from close up. The S360, like the KH150, is a modern, FIR-corrected speaker with linear phase throughout a wide bandwidth. This is a bonus over the KH420, as is the ability for room correction (I would never listen without anymore).

Your question concerning LFE, I cannot answer. I was watching "Don't look up" last weekend on a speaker of similar build, with a woofer by the same manufacturer, probably close to the midwoofer of the S360. I would not need any sub at all. However, in a European sized living room (20 sqm), brick walls. Could be different in different rooms. and I am also not into home cinema. My speaker has an f3 of 43 Hz and this is deeper and more powerful than what I had ever listened to outside of a nightclub. This is about the same f3 the S360 features. if I remember correctly.

Hexspa

I have made many dozens of purchases from Sweetwater. For the first time I had to return an item (and SSL Fusion) because of a very very small cosmetic defect. Not only did they take it back, they sent me a replacement before I returned the Fusion and of course they paid shipping. In addition, they were so nice about the whole thing. They did not do it grudgingly - quite the opposite. They were sweet and helpful about the entire process.

That is why I deal with them and that is why they are overwhelmingly successful.
Yes, they doubtlessly handle most situations well. However, whenever I see glowing reviews from them I like to encourage people to try other retailers and let them know they’ve really dropped the ball specifically with people who don’t spend much there. I saw another YouTube video where a customer was complaining about a similar thing. It’s not like I have an incentive to say this other than I think their reputation is somewhat better than it would be if more people shared their negative experiences. I hope you continue to experience high-quality care but I don’t even visit their site to check prices much less buy from them. Their loss.

RobL

Forum Donor
S360 looks like a possible solution, or KH420. Just to relate my own experience with a large room…I bought a pair of JBL 705p’s and an SVS sub for my large living room, knowing they were a “small stature, high output” monitor (like the KH150). To be honest, they sounded fantastic and seemed capable of satisfying spl’s but something was missing. (?) I ended up replacing them after a year. I had decided on KH420’s or 8361’s, whichever I could get a better buy on. In Canada, we get a better deal on Genelecs than Neumanns so I ended up with 8361’s but am sure I would have been just as happy with the 420’s. I run them without a sub and really don’t miss it as they are music-only. GLM has really matured into a fantastic correction system and the GRADE report is a nice bonus to help with tweaking.
Good luck and you won’t go wrong with Neumann or Genelec, wherever you end up.

boxerfan88

I have heard both KH150 & KH310 in different settings. I auditioned the KH150 and really liked it, then went ahead to buy the KH310 which is now at home. I find the two speakers very similar yet slightly different.

This is my subjective opinion on the differences:
  • KH150 imaging is pin sharp, the KH310 is just slightly less sharp than the 150.
  • KH310 midrange sounds really good and natural especially for female vocals.
Tonally, they are both very very similar.

Just thought I should put my subjective opinion out there...if it helps...

Some Luck

I have heard both KH150 & KH310 in different settings. I auditioned the KH150 and really liked it, then went ahead to buy the KH310 which is now at home. I find the two speakers very similar yet slightly different.

This is my subjective opinion on the differences:
  • KH150 imaging is pin sharp, the KH310 is just slightly less sharp than the 150.
  • KH310 midrange sounds really good and natural especially for female vocals.
Tonally, they are both very very similar.

Just thought I should put my subjective opinion out there...if it helps...
I also came to similar opinion when I heard them. To me the imaging/sense of depth was stronger in the KH 150's. I dont know if that has to do with the DSP allowing for better phase, but whatever it is it was a noticeable difference to me.

teashea

No thanks,I won't justify the obvious.
Then why are you here at ASR? The entire premise of ASR is objective measurement instead of unfounded subjectivity.

teashea

I also came to similar opinion when I heard them. To me the imaging/sense of depth was stronger in the KH 150's. I dont know if that has to do with the DSP allowing for better phase, but whatever it is it was a noticeable difference to me.
Enjoy them. There is no bad choice between KH310's and KH`50's.

Pritaudio

im gonna go for the dynaudio lyd 48 3 ways instead. good bang for buck.
and then use a mindsp flex along with svs sb2000 pair subs. that should do for a variety of uses.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Then why are you here at ASR? The entire premise of ASR is objective measurement instead of unfounded subjectivity.
Pff,measurements,boring...
(I have only posted 793748397 of them,some system wide and not only acoustical,I'll show you mine if you show me yours)

Seriously now,the above measurements show great similarity between KH150 and KH310,I don't know what the rest 30% is (the percentage that measurements don't show according to our experts here) but seems that the real dilemma is between them and KH420 which is a bigger boy.
It's up to use case really.

changer

There will most probably be a difference how KH310 and KH150 image, if we assume the latter shares the same topology with KH80:

Also, in the S360 review thread I had left a link from a gearspace shootout where the decision was made for the KH420, seemingly due to the dedicated midrange.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I don't know why or how
But Neumanns sound a little veiled or dark or rolled off when compared to Genelec (Almost any model I've heard )
I'm not saying it's the infamous "Sennheiser veil" lol but It's hard to describe , it's like something was lifted from in front of the speakers .
Anyone felt the same?
I'm wearing my shield :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't know why or how
But Neumanns sound a little veiled or dark or rolled off when compared to Genelec (Almost any model I've heard )
I'm not saying it's the infamous "Sennheiser veil" lol but It's hard to describe , it's like something was lifted from in front of the speakers .
Anyone felt the same?
I'm wearing my shield :)
If that's the case it would give Neumanns a very strong preference for my taste.I wouldn't stand even the slightest hint of pronounced highs for long listening sections (think of opera).
But nothing such is shown in the measurements :)

unpluggged

This is very strange. My KH 120s are anything but "dark", "dull", "veiled"... In fact, their treble sound almost too much for me. I did not compare them to any of the Genelecs, but their crispness in the treble immediately stood out for me compared to my HEDD Type 07 MK2s, which are definitely not dark and have very detailed highs. It took some time for me to get used to the Neumann's tweeter.

And I wonder if you tried to adjust the treble on the Neumanns. Could this be caused by your listening environment?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This is very strange. My KH 120s are anything but "dark", "dull", "veiled"... In fact, their treble sound almost too much for me. I did not compare them to any of the Genelecs, but their crispness in the treble immediately stood out for me compared to my HEDD Type 07 MK2s, which are definitely not dark and have very detailed highs. It took some time for me to get used to the Neumann's tweeter.

And I wonder if you tried to adjust the treble on the Neumanns. Could this be caused by your listening environment?
Didn't try to adjust
listening environment ? could be
But i wish you would hear some Genelecs and could tell me if you felt the same

Top Bottom