• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 463 91.0%

• Total voters

Some Luck

The Kh 310's actually have the same recommended minimum listening distance as the KH 150's (0.75 meters). I think it more has to do with physical size of the speaker fitting into the room. In a very small room 310's could be too large to position properly. For instance, if your optimimal listening position is pretty close to the back wall ( which it often is in small rooms), even if they are place directly up against the wall it could still push you out of that optimal position.

Here's a video that breaks it down:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
hello everyone. I am new to the forum and i just read this thread and I have a question. I currently own the 310's setup in a small room 3x4x2.3m. The room is treated pretty well. My listening distance is about 1.4 meters. I do think i have the best listening position and the speakers are positioned according to neumann's manual. I do love the sound of neumann but somehow i cannot get really comfortable with the 310's. Is my room too small for the kh 310's ? I was considering switching to something smaller because of their woofer size and maybe because of the 3 way in my room. Would a kh 150 work better ?
Maybe this is of interest for you? I have a different room now, but i am still struggling with the KH310. They sound good, but it is always the last 1-2% i can't really control.
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...n-a-small-room-subs-ma1-absorbers-avaa.27288/

I think if my KH310 broke tomorrow i would take the KH150 as a replacement, just to try something different. I don't know if they'll behave much differently, though.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suspect that the Neuman audio engineers know what they are talking about when they say that two KH 750's are necessary for proper pairing with KH150's. I would consider the Neuman engineers more authoritative and knowledgable than ............................ . If one is gong to do something (add a sub system to KH150's) perhaps it is a good idea to do it correctly.

teashea

I have the KH 150's paired with one KH 750 and have more than enough SPL than I'd ever reasonably need.

Buy one, try it and if it is enough, keep it. If not, return it or buy a 2nd one :)
SPL is only one of several factors involved. Neumann says two ---- not one. Why bother adding a sub?

mj30250

SPL is only one of several factors involved. Neumann says two ---- not one. Why bother adding a sub?

Additional extension and possibly placement flexibility to address room modes. Of course, if your purpose is simply additional SPL, a single KH 750 is going to do more harm than good.

changer

Because it is not a requirement for home listening in HiFi role, is it that hard to get? If one simply wants the 20-20k bandwidth while listening to a favorite album, there is no need for two. Again: Neumann is advertising a tool for music production. There is benefits with multi sub setups for HiFi too, but this a whole different story.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Two or more subs is about getting a more consistent bass response from seat to seat in the listening area. If you only care about one seat, two subs are not necessary. Just find a good sub/seating position with no major dips, EQ and you are done.
Whether one or more subs, EQ will most likely be required. Multiple e subs doesn't get rid of that. Multiple subs can help with getting a better response if your seating is not in a good location but if you have some placement flexibility multiple subs are not needed at all for one listening location.

Vadimchik

Good afternoon, now I have a Neumann kh 80 with a 750 subwoofer, the room is 20 square meters, for some time there were kh 120, but I did not like the high frequencies on them, should I replace the kh 80 with a 150? or will the 310 be better?

Reactions: HQY

HQY

Good afternoon, now I have a Neumann kh 80 with a 750 subwoofer, the room is 20 square meters, for some time there were kh 120, but I did not like the high frequencies on them, should I replace the kh 80 with a 150? or will the 310 be better?
I'm in same situation. Not decided yet. ;)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
KH420 would be the best :)

boxerfan88

Try shelving down the HF, it may help.

I have the 310, they are very good.

nnitr

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I did not want to open another thread for my question.

I‘m currently looking for new speakers for my living room. My budget is quite flexible, but should not exceed 8k€.
Listening distance is about 4m (13ft) in a non-treated room (of about 64m2), except for decorative „wooden“ acoustic panels with felt on the left side-wall. I currently use Nubert NuPro A-200 with an Arendal 1S Subwoofer, but would like to have a more sophisticated bass management in combination with a rather new-found interest in taking measurements of the listening room (strictly theoretical thus far).

I would be willing to sell both the speakers and the subwoofer. I am content with the Nubert speakers, but I‘m itching for an upgrade. I value „honest“ sound reproduction without any kind of coloring and ideally the speakers can be mounted on the wall. While it is not an option for right now, I would also like to add a couple of speakers down the line for a multichannel home-theater.

By reading through ASR I identified a couple of approaches and would love to hear your insights:
  1. Keep speakers and subwoofer and use some kind of external DSP (miniDSP, Trinnov)
  2. Sell system, buy KH150 with one or two KH750 and MA1
  3. Sell system, buy Genelec S360 with appropriate sub (not the 7382a) and GLM
  4. Sell system, buy (used) KH420 with some kind of external DSP (another price league, but might be worth it - „endgame“?)
  5. Sell Nubert speakers, buy KH150/S360 and use with Arendal 1S Sub plus external DSP
I do believe option 1 would be the most sensible one, as I could get accustomed to the whole room measurement (and treatment) game and upgrade later… but those decisions are not always sensible, right? And while I find the Nubert speakers to be alright, especially for their age and „degree of digitalization“, I‘m sure there is quite a lot of room for improvements.

boxerfan88

KH310 + sub ?

CMB

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I did not want to open another thread for my question.

I‘m currently looking for new speakers for my living room. My budget is quite flexible, but should not exceed 8k€.
Listening distance is about 4m (13ft) in a non-treated room (of about 64m2), except for decorative „wooden“ acoustic panels with felt on the left side-wall. I currently use Nubert NuPro A-200 with an Arendal 1S Subwoofer, but would like to have a more sophisticated bass management in combination with a rather new-found interest in taking measurements of the listening room (strictly theoretical thus far).

I would be willing to sell both the speakers and the subwoofer. I am content with the Nubert speakers, but I‘m itching for an upgrade. I value „honest“ sound reproduction without any kind of coloring and ideally the speakers can be mounted on the wall. While it is not an option for right now, I would also like to add a couple of speakers down the line for a multichannel home-theater.

By reading through ASR I identified a couple of approaches and would love to hear your insights:
  1. Keep speakers and subwoofer and use some kind of external DSP (miniDSP, Trinnov)
  2. Sell system, buy KH150 with one or two KH750 and MA1
  3. Sell system, buy Genelec S360 with appropriate sub (not the 7382a) and GLM
  4. Sell system, buy (used) KH420 with some kind of external DSP (another price league, but might be worth it - „endgame“?)
  5. Sell Nubert speakers, buy KH150/S360 and use with Arendal 1S Sub plus external DSP
I do believe option 1 would be the most sensible one, as I could get accustomed to the whole room measurement (and treatment) game and upgrade later… but those decisions are not always sensible, right? And while I find the Nubert speakers to be alright, especially for their age and „degree of digitalization“, I‘m sure there is quite a lot of room for improvements.
Stretch the budget to 10k, 8361 Genelec and be happy.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening distance is 4 m, in a large room (64 square meters) .. I'd go for the used KH420 + External DSP...

Peace.

nnitr

KH310 + sub ?
I thought about that aswell, but believe the KH150+KH750 combination to be more cost effective. Although the potential 4-way design would seem very appealing (or did I get something wrong here?)

Stretch the budget to 10k, 8361 Genelec and be happy.
I don‘t really have a need for the great vertical directivity of the coax, so I thought the KH420 would fit my needs better as „endgame“.

Listening distance is 4 m, in a large room (64 square meters) .. I'd go for the used KH420 + External DSP...

Peace.
Exactly my thoughts - although I read several times in this thread already, that the KH150 could handle this listening distance, especially with bass management. I‘m seriously contemplating whether the massive price difference between KH150+KH750 and the KH420+DSP is worth it for my untreated living room.

Top Bottom