• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 463 91.0%

• Total voters

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who even cares?

It doesn't matter. Take it holistically.
He didn't like the higher directivity of the KH120 vs 8030 as it sounds too dark for him (which is absolutely fine as a personal preference) and now he asks questions as if a "better" DAC would change that. Sometimes I am surprised by the amount of answers he still gets on the same not expedient questions over and over again (I plead also guilty for that sometime) and hope people would just ignore them.

schallmauer

Audio Company
Hey all,

on the KH 150, the digital input feeds right into the DSP, no conversion to analog, so there's no DAC involved here.
When using the analog input, there's an additional ADC, which converts the incoming signal to the digital domain first before feeding the DSP.

When measuring the speaker via both inputs and comparing the data, you will find a slightly higher noise floor from the AD conversion via analog in, but otherwise there's no audible difference expected.

I would reckon the majority of the audible differences that have been mentioned here to come from the variations of the signal chain itself. i.e. the audio interface delivering analog.

Tschüß!

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The DAC issue is largely irrelevant. Current decent qualtiy DAC's are ten times better than they need to be for any audible issues. The other aspects of a monitor are overwhemingly more important in terms of what makes an audible difference.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
After listening to a 2 mins YouTube music video, one of my KH150s started making hissing and crackling noises that were increasing even after pausing the video and muting my pre amp and audio interface, I had to turn it OFF and after turning it ON, the noise was gone. Clearly was a DSP bug or DSP software corruption. @schallmauer Should I ask Sweetwater for an exchange? I'm still under the 60 days return window so I can get a replacement.

schallmauer

Audio Company
After listening to a 2 mins YouTube music video, one of my KH150s started making hissing and crackling noises that were increasing even after pausing the video and muting my pre amp and audio interface, I had to turn it OFF and after turning it ON, the noise was gone. Clearly was a DSP bug or DSP software corruption. @schallmauer Should I ask Sweetwater for an exchange? I'm still under the 60 days return window so I can get a replacement.
Sorry to hear about the issue. I will take this to RnD.
I'd suggest to get a replacement - better safe than sorry.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Typical from Sweetwater, the advanced replacement KH150 is already processed and should go out later today. That's why I'm Sweetwater customer since 2002 ;)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
BTW, Sweetwater asked me if I had a Neumann support ticket, so I pointed them to @schallmauer post where he recommended getting a replacement and they immediately approved the advance replacement, no questions asked ;)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hope you don’t get @schallmauer into hot water, lol

Nahh, it was just a formality. Either way I was within the returning window and I like I said, I'm Sweetwater customer since 2002 with 2 accounts, one personal and one for business.

Pritaudio

The volume change when the setup is calibrated with Neumann software is a problem.
the fact that it only stores 1 setting too. Accessing this requires a pc/Mac to be on, which is not ideal for home listening.
or late night volumes with loudness boost.

cheaper to get a Minidsp flex, if only it didn’t have intermodular distortion.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Nahh, it was just a formality. Either way I was within the returning window and I like I said, I'm Sweetwater customer since 2002 with 2 accounts, one personal and one for business.
Was the problem solved with the new pair ?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Was the problem solved with the new pair ?
Yes, the replacement KH150 is performing as expected. Both now wake up from standby at the same time.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
KH 150 with dual 750 subs. Or KH 310 with dual 750 subs? And go...
A great question. Very close.

I have KH150's and KH310's but do not use them with my KH750 sub.

What will you use them for? Studio monitors? What type of music? How far away is your listening position?

Top Bottom