• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 463 91.0%

• Total voters

Pritaudio

would it be a good idea to get kh750 sub even if I use other speakers (passive or active) since it has dsp features on its own.
I don't know of any other sub with dsp of this standard.
Sorry to repeat this, but can anyone help me.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to repeat this, but can anyone help me.
Yes the KH750 also works in principle with other active speakers (for passive ones you would need another power amp in between of course). If it would fit depends on the other speaker.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don’t see the point of getting the KH750 only because its DSP capabilities when you can get a much better DSP device like a MiniDSP Flex with a much better room correction software like Dirac Live and then use any third party subwoofer of your choice.

Trell

Major Contributor
I don’t see the point of getting the KH750 only because its DSP capabilities when you can get a much better DSP device like a MiniDSP Flex with a much better room correction software like Dirac Live and then use any third party subwoofer of your choice.

With the KH750 you can get a 2.1 setup where after calibration you have no extra boxes nor software running on your PC/Mac: Just a pair of XLR cables to the subwoofer (for analogue) from your favourite DAC or audio interface.

jae

Major Contributor
I’m not miss leading, my point was to clarify that it’s not fair to ask Neumann to have the same offerings as Genelec does. After Sennheiser adquired K&H back in 1991, Genelec still is a much bigger company with much more offerings regarding studio monitors. And still, Neumann strongest suits are microphones, not studio monitors.
I don't want to get too off topic but I would say the opposite is true. Neumann's reputation and renown comes from their microphones, and some of their microphones are highly coveted or even industry standard in some applications (u87 for example- almost every studio worth its salt is expected to have one). By modern standards mics such as these often represent poor value for money and exemplifies the phenomenon of older microphones riding the coattails of former success and legend from recording artists and engineers. That design in particular has had minimal changes in 50 years and frankly speaking there are a number of mics from many manufacturers that are probably objectively or even subjectively better to use in a situation where many classic microphones might still be used because of reputation or availability. And they could even be cheaper and just as robustly constructed.

On the other hand, Neumann's monitors are objectively top performers across the board in every product category they offer, and in some metrics on par or even better value for money compared to Genelec at certain price points and geographic locations. It's fair to say than in modern times, Neumann monitors are more or less an undisputed "top 2" performer, just edged out by Genelec in some regards. In the space of high-end studio monitors there are much fewer options: usually you are deciding between Genelec or Neumann or even what tier of product you want from these two brands, so it is clear Neumann is its strongest in that industry being at least a #2 contender. With microphones there may be up to a dozen reasonable choices from half a dozen brands for a particular use case, so Neumann's strength is not as obvious, at least in modern times.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20230129_195510_Chrome.jpg

I wonder why this sub never gets mentioned
It's a beast :)

unpluggged

It's not a pro monitor?
Also going by that logic then 8050 and 8350 are a compromise Becaue they're an 8 inch 2-way
ADAM's A and AX series are mainly aimed at budget segment, such as home and project studios, or to be used as secondary sets of monitors. In this role, they can be a good option. In any case, they are much less refined and have simpler design compared to S series or to Genelecs or Neumanns.

Specifically A8X was a later addition to the series, and also the first model of that line to be discontinued, IIRC. A7X got generally more favorable reviews, too. A8X, while extends lower, has rougher driver integration. Lack of a waveguide does not help it, either.

gino1961

The s360 use a compression driver. That can play lower frequency than a dome tweeter. It makes sense to have a big woofer then.
Hi thank you for the very kind and valuable reply I see now the review
It's a little surprising the performance of the tweeter at 106dB a level that should be within the limit of a compression driver Even some very good domes perform better i. e. with lower distortion
We are talking of a 4000euro speaker That money buys almost a kh420

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, 2nd-order harmonic distortion is usually high with compression drivers, but not audible. This has been discussed before, maybe even in this thread. Dome tweeters showcase odd-order HD which is audible. This is a graphs thing again.

gino1961

No, 2nd-order harmonic distortion is usually high with compression drivers, but not audible. This has been discussed before, maybe even in this thread. Dome tweeters showcase odd-order HD which is audible. This is a graphs thing again.
Thanks i wonder why compression tweeters are not so popular in studio monitor if they provide better distortion performance
maybe they are more expensive

danbei

I use the KH-750 and MA-1 with Kali IN-5s. Works very well! Just choose KH-120s in the MA-1 software when calibrating
My understanding is that the KH750 DSP applies phase correction to the satellites based on the model. Did you notice anything weird when used with the Kali IN-5 ?

teashea

I don't want to get too off topic but I would say the opposite is true. Neumann's reputation and renown comes from their microphones, and some of their microphones are highly coveted or even industry standard in some applications (u87 for example- almost every studio worth its salt is expected to have one). By modern standards mics such as these often represent poor value for money and exemplifies the phenomenon of older microphones riding the coattails of former success and legend from recording artists and engineers. That design in particular has had minimal changes in 50 years and frankly speaking there are a number of mics from many manufacturers that are probably objectively or even subjectively better to use in a situation where many classic microphones might still be used because of reputation or availability. And they could even be cheaper and just as robustly constructed.

On the other hand, Neumann's monitors are objectively top performers across the board in every product category they offer, and in some metrics on par or even better value for money compared to Genelec at certain price points and geographic locations. It's fair to say than in modern times, Neumann monitors are more or less an undisputed "top 2" performer, just edged out by Genelec in some regards. In the space of high-end studio monitors there are much fewer options: usually you are deciding between Genelec or Neumann or even what tier of product you want from these two brands, so it is clear Neumann is its strongest in that industry being at least a #2 contender. With microphones there may be up to a dozen reasonable choices from half a dozen brands for a particular use case, so Neumann's strength is not as obvious, at least in modern times.
I think that the value of Neumann microphones depends on one's perspective and fincancial ability. For years I did not have a Neumann mic in my collection, but about a year ago I purchased a U87ai. It is now one of my most used mics. It is outstanding. For me the cost was quite worth it. The clones of the 87 are good but not quite there.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that the value of Neumann microphones depends on one's perspective and fincancial ability. For years I did not have a Neumann mic in my collection, but about a year ago I purchased a U87ai. It is now one of my most used mics. It is outstanding. For me the cost was quite worth it. The clones of the 87 are good but not quite there.
Nice. That’s a classic and with a beautiful timeless industrial design in my eyes. One could put it up as a piece of art.

Attachments

• 1675184006039.png
    1675184006039.png
    378.9 KB · Views: 46

Trell

Major Contributor
Nice. That’s a classic and with a beautiful timeless industrial design in my eyes. One could put it up as a piece of art.
The Earthworks Audio SR314 looks nice too. At 680 grams it’s a little heavy to hold, though.

I guess we’re off topic now. :)

1675184476038.png

Last edited:

changer

Thanks i wonder why compression tweeters are not so popular in studio monitor if they provide better distortion performance
maybe they are more expensive
The SPL output is rarely "needed". The S360 is marketed for immersive studios, where many speakers will be positioned further away from the mixing console and higher SPL capabilities might be required. However, the unstrained sound of a compression driver at any output level is something to consider. If it is required for home listening is another thing.

At 680 grams it’s a little heavy to hold, though.
You would not want to hold a larger diaphragm condensor microphone unlest you are into recording thumbing noise from fingers, anyways.

I guess we’re off topic now. :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Neumann used to be a cheaper alternative to Genelec
problem is now they cost as much as Genelecs if not more for same size monitor .

Top Bottom