• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 468 90.9%

• Total voters

dfuller

Major Contributor
I see no reason why aluminum would work for KH120 and not KH150
I'm assuming it's just too expensive so they used different materials
Too expensive (both for the tooling and for the shipping weight - idk if you've ever picked up any of the aluminum body Genelecs but they are incredibly heavy for their size) and doesn't make any appreciable difference if I had to guess.

tuga

Major Contributor
Too expensive (both for the tooling and for the shipping weight - idk if you've ever picked up any of the aluminum body Genelecs but they are incredibly heavy for their size) and doesn't make any appreciable difference if I had to guess.

Appreciable is relative/subjective.

899Genfig1.jpg

Genelec 1031A (1999)
https://www.stereophile.com/content...-monitor-1092a-powered-subwoofer-measurements

722GenG3fig1.jpg

Genelec G Three
https://www.stereophile.com/content/genelec-g-three-active-loudspeaker-measurements

DevinCortno

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
If it doesn't make a difference and it's more expensive for them
Then why are they still using it for many years?

dfuller

Major Contributor
If it doesn't make a difference and it's more expensive for them
Then why are they still using it for many years?
Because they've already paid for the the tooling (which is very expensive) and redesigns take time and money

dfuller

Major Contributor
Not for nothing, but the KH150 doesn't show resonances like the 1031 does.

Also the 1031s are substantially nicer sounding than 8050s, so do with that information what you will.

Don't think it's the only reason
They could have made the Ones from any materiel and still chose it again
How the hell did we end up talking about Genelec when we were talking about KH150 vs KH120????

SlothRock

The answer is simple: Make more money using plastic, make less using Aluminum + they can get the measurements to be incredible with either material so why spend more when you can spend less and simply charge more? It's a business after all.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The answer is simple: Make more money using plastic, make less using Aluminum + they can get the measurements to be incredible with either material so why spend more when you can spend less and simply charge more? It's a business after all.
Aluminum is more durable and sturdy
Alao looks and feels better
Even if sounds the same

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Not for nothing, but the KH150 doesn't show resonances like the 1031 does.

Also the 1031s are substantially nicer sounding than 8050s, so do with that information what you will.

How the hell did we end up talking about Genelec when we were talking about KH150 vs KH120????
Got confused with the different threads :)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already emailed you guys twice and no response yet.

I suspect they have a backlog of emails due to the software as currently staged on their website being broken. I have one in to the headoffice address too.

Moonhead

More people should use the ignore button on the constant Vedder Machine,
so he doesnt beg and pollute every Neumann/Genelec thread.

CMB

I once heard the KH150 and the 8351 one after another in the same room. Of course, this was not a controlled test, I just listened to a few pieces of my music at different volumes. But it was the same for me, for me the 8351 would have been out of the question under these conditions and without EQ, because it was too much treble for me.
But of course, firstly, it may be that there are different preferences and someone else might have found the KH150 too dark. Also, I suppose that if I were forced to use the Genelec, I could just EQ the treble down a bit. That should be very easy to do with them.
That's why I think you'll be fine with all these speakers and nothing bad can happen in real-world use. Some people make it sound like it's an incredibly important decision whether to choose Neumann or Genelec. I think it's great that there are at least two excellent manufacturers in this field, who on the one hand both reliably produce good products, so that you can actually buy them all blind (if you respect the use case they are meant for), but at the same time also differ sufficiently so that you have a choice.
One of the advantages of Genelec for me is GLM.
It takes you less than a minute to adjust the trebble in your speakers for instance. And, that includes the time to connect your labtop to GLM to the Cable hiden behind the speaker.
From what I could read here, it is better to have a bit to much and be able to EQ it down, than to try the contrary.
From experience now, after I had tuned the trebble down at the start, with time I tend to prefer to come back more flat. But then, maybe I am just compensating for my old ears.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
VituixCAD calculates also DI slopes and shows in Preference rating window. See two cells in blue background.
View attachment 251157

Hi Kimmo

Have you considered adding the option of using the LW as a baseline for calculation of the DI instead of the ON.

Kind regards

Top Bottom