• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 468 90.9%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
From a different forum
I wonder what he means by open and balanced
Screenshot_20230223_035932_Chrome.jpg

auraluxstudio

A great question. Very close.

I have KH150's and KH310's but do not use them with my KH750 sub.

What will you use them for? Studio monitors? What type of music? How far away is your listening position?
Studio monitors. 1.37 meters.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Studio monitors. 1.37 meters.
Ok. That is the same for me. Given that you want to use two KH750's with them, I would guess ..... I really do not know. I do not want to give you advice when I simply do not know. I am not sure if there is anyone on here who has used 150's with 750's.

Trancer

Excellent test thank you very much.

Question concerns the two Subwoofers for the KH 150.

Is it really an obligation to have to take two subwoofers?

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
According to Neumann 2 KH750's are required for the KH 150's.

unpluggged

Is it really an obligation to have to take two subwoofers?
Yes, if you don't want to compromise KH 150's output levels.

Trancer

Thank you very much for your answer.

Good to know.

On the other hand, it is the first time that I hear that it is recommended to put two.

Usually, the use of one subwoofer is sufficient.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thank you very much for your answer.

Good to know.

On the other hand, it is the first time that I hear that it is recommended to put two.

4 subs is even more recommended :)

Trancer

I just recently discovered this forum.

I'm really delighted.

A real mine of gold and knowledge.

I learn a lot of things and I discover another way of thinking and composing my material.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In a heavily treated studio with a room designed for smooth bass from the frame up, one subwoofer is generally sufficient yes.

In a regular household room, it's usually impractical to treat sub-bass effectively and a much better strategy is to use multiple subs to smooth the bass. Adding a 2nd sub substantially improved my setup from 30-100hz.

Here's a good visual illustration of the benefits gained by going from 1-4 subs with DSP.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
If you are only sitting in one position 2 or more subwoofers are not required but placement flexibility is. Using 2 or more subs is not about more volume but that can be a side benefit. They are used to get a more consistent bass response at multiple seating positions and they are also used to help some acoustic problems in the room. This does require learning some type of measurment softare and using a mic. Whether using 1, 2 or more subs EQ is almost always required to get accurate bass. You can always boost the bass if desired but just due to the nature of small rooms the bass response will have peaks and dips in it. Peaks can be corrected with EQ, dips can not mut that is where more than 1 sub is beneficial. If you only have one listeing spot than you can typically find a location with one sub that has some peaks but no major dips and then you EQ the peaks.

The subs location can not be localized unless you are very close to them, that is why you don't need two or more subs if only listening at one spot. The advantage of using a sub is you can place it for the best bass as that is rarely the best place for mids and highs. Another benefit is it takes work the load off your speakers from producing bass, so the speakers will play with less distortion and can play louder. The disadvantage to a sub is it takes more time and knowledge to set up and integrate well.

What is your intended application likemixing music, listening to music, watching TV, etc.? Where is the seating relative to the speakers? How many seating locations do you have and where are they located? How flexible are you with speaker, sub and seating placement? What is the overall budget?

Trancer

Thank you very much for your feedback, reviews and links.

Very instructive the link on the subwoofers.

I really learn a lot and it removes preconceived ideas on the subject of subwoofer use.

I will not be in one place, given my configuration, I will have to move.

Also aware that I will have to use an equalizer, often mentioned in discussions.

I am placed in a U, so I circulate between the different pieces of furniture where my equipment is placed.

I will only use my speakers for my home studio.

Regarding the location of one or more Subwoofers if that were to be the case, I can place them anywhere, I have space.

Concerning my budget (about 4000 euros).

Thank you again for your valuable explanations.

Ardrazzt

Depends on room size and your budget. On the smaller side the R3 are a good start at as good price for their performance.

Notice these are passive speakers.

If this is the size however you are looking for, I personally would go with the KH150 as it includes the possibility of Room EQ (with MA1).

For the living room I have KEF Reference 3 plus 2 x KEF KF92. For the Office the Neumann KH80 plus KH750.
Which sound is bigger? I mean, have you compare an orchestra? For example?

sonrise

hello everyone. I am new to the forum and i just read this thread and I have a question. I currently own the 310's setup in a small room 3x4x2.3m. The room is treated pretty well. My listening distance is about 1.4 meters. I do think i have the best listening position and the speakers are positioned according to neumann's manual. I do love the sound of neumann but somehow i cannot get really comfortable with the 310's. Is my room too small for the kh 310's ? I was considering switching to something smaller because of their woofer size and maybe because of the 3 way in my room. Would a kh 150 work better ?

Some Luck

hello everyone. I am new to the forum and i just read this thread and I have a question. I currently own the 310's setup in a small room 3x4x2.3m. The room is treated pretty well. My listening distance is about 1.4 meters. I do think i have the best listening position and the speakers are positioned according to neumann's manual. I do love the sound of neumann but somehow i cannot get really comfortable with the 310's. Is my room too small for the kh 310's ? I was considering switching to something smaller because of their woofer size and maybe because of the 3 way in my room. Would a kh 150 work better ?
Hey! Im not an expert so take my answer with a grain of salt, but I have a similar sized room to you. Also, treated pretty well. From what I've learned, listening position is everything in a small room. Not being able to get into the proper listening position because your monitors are too big is definetly a good reason to buy a small monitor (really the only reason to buy a smaller monitor that I can think of). Have you tried getting a better listening position? I know for me and my room, I have to be closer than 1.4 meters to get into the proper position. That might be something to try out first.

In regards to the KH 150's vs 310's I do think the 150s would be better because they are smaller, and would give you more flexibilty in terms of listening position. I also think you would probably benefit from DSP in a room that size.

danbei

In regards to the KH 150's vs 310's I do think the 150s would be better because they are smaller, and would give you more flexibilty in terms of listening position.
Would that be because you need less distance from the speaker or something else?

Last edited:
Top Bottom