• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 463 91.0%

• Total voters

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
What did you think of the KH150 in general?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the discussion about the dispersion of the KH150 and whether it can be used apart from near field as a typical hifi speaker should end here. All arguments have been exchanged multiple times now and new insigths won't be find by arguing longer.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm more interested in the electronics and drivers at this point. Do we know what amps they're using or will we need to wait for a teardown.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much the narrower directivity in mid-bass from the bigger one affects direct sound dominance?
Very little. Probably a few cm at best. You'd need the entire dispersion pattern to be significantly narrower to make any real difference.

So the chart is primarily saying bigger rooms have more direct sound at a given distance? I definitely didn’t realize that was most of what the chart implied - it just goes back to SPL requirements then.

Yes, exactly. The bigger the room, the lower the SPL of reflections you get at the listening position. Actually calculating critical distance accurately is really complicated, I think it requires modeling of the room. Genelec, based on the text in the box at the bottom, is probably using an approximation formula that combines directivity, RT60, and room volume.

I don't love this chart, to be honest with you. The first time I saw it, I thought it was great, but now that i understand it, I feel it's a bit misleading. If you don't see and understand that the calculation includes RT60 and room volume, you will think it's showing you differences between speakers isolated. But it's not.

Genelec doesn't show their numbers for degree of directivity for each speaker(you could calculate them on your own, of course, with dispersion data) but it doesn't seem like there is much difference between their speakers in this area. It's hard to be sure, but I don't think it's more than 0.5m difference across the whole range.

And yes, this fact *does* completely blow up the idea that there's big dispersion differences in monitors designed for different critical distances. There simply aren't.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Today I received the KH150's I purchased from Sweetwater. I already had the stands set up so was able to spend some time listening to them with a variety of music, including some that I have produced and am familiar with. I will be providing some more detailed information but here are some random initial thoughts.thoughts.

I have them set up for use with my new Audient 4816SE console. Interestingly, their grey and black are an ideal match for the new 4816 color scheme.

The build and finish quality is impecable, as expected.

They feel and seem about as large and heavy as I expected. Which is to say - right in between my KH120's and 310's.

They are located in the middle of the main room of my studio. The 150's are positioned 1.3 meters from my ears. In order to clear the top of the console, the middle of the 150's sit 25 cm higher than my ears. This is well within the vertical dispersion zone. I noticed no significant sound difference when I stood up.

With their specific placement, early side reflections are very minor, as are reflections from in back of the 150's. Early reflections from behind my back are virtually non-existant because of the configuration of the room, which is very deep and textured.

There is the potential for early reflections from the 3 meter high ceiling, but the fairly tight horizonal dispersion pattern of the 150's proved to minimize this a a substantial degree.

The top of the console slopes from the back to the front, so that the early reflections of the 150's from the top of the console hit my chest, instead of my ears.

After a bit of testing, I used one of the equalizer switches on the back of the 150's to decrease the bass by 4 dB, which happens to be what Neumann recommends for placement in the middle of a room.

Although I was excited to have these new monitors, the monitors themselves were not exciting to listen to. In fact, they did not sound like much at all. They simply pass through the sound of the recordings without adding or subtracting anything. Were such language not frowned upon here at ASR, I would otherwise call them transparent, flat, dynamic and colorless. But since I do not want to be chastized, I won't. ;)

What struck me most about the speakers was - nothing. I found myself forgetting about them and hearing various aspects of the music...... like little things in the instrumentation of the songs - whisps of sounds that would never be heard in most systems.

Although today I did not A/B the 150's against my KH310's or 120's/750, it seemed to me that there was no obvious difference that I could pin down.

Looking at the 310's in the background, I expected that there might be some slight loss of smoothness in the midrange, since the 150 is a two way design. I listened for this but heard nothing in this regard. These little puppies sound like Amir's frequency response curve predicts ----- smoooooth. So smooth.

Using the 4816, there are five different gain controls in the chain (150 input trim, line input preamp gain, short fader, master mix fader and studio monitor gain). It was fun using these in combination, but there was no perceptable difference, regardless of the combination. (The 4816 is so clean). There was also not a bit of hiss at any listening level. Not a bit.

For a but of fun I listened to them at 4 meters and 6 meters distance. I will simply say that for me they are nearfiled monitors. I have other speakers (not monitors) for those distances.

From this short initial introduction to them, the 150's are quite simply everything that Amir and the other reviewers established. I can do nothing but confirm.

I am in a state of great admiration of the Neumann organization. I cannot image all of the hard and intelligent work that went into making these monitors. For my use, I could want nothing more.
0107231314.jpg

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Today I received the KH150's I purchased from Sweetwater. I already had the stands set up so was able to spend some time listening to them with a variety of music, including some that I have produced and am familiar with. I will be providing some more detailed information but here are some random initial thoughts.thoughts.

I have them set up for use with my new Audient 4816SE console. Interestingly, their grey and black are an ideal match for the new 4816 color scheme.

They feel and seem about as large and heavy as I expected. Which is to say - right in between my KH120's and 310's.

They are located in the middle of the main room of my studio. The 150's are positioned 1.3 meters from my ears. In order to clear the top of the console, the middle of the 150's sit 25 cm higher than my ears. This is well within the vertical dispersion zone. I noticed no significant sound difference when I stood up.

With their specific placement, early side reflections are very minor, as are reflections from in back of the 150's. Early reflections from behind my back are virtually non-existant because of the configuration of the room, which is very deep and textured.

There is the potential for early reflections from the 3 meter high ceiling, but the fairly tight horizonal dispersion pattern of the 150's proved to minimize this a a substantial degree.

The top of the console slopes from the back to the front, so that the early reflections of the 150's from the top of the console hit my chest, instead of my ears.

After a bit of testing, I used one of the equalizer switches on the back of the 150's to decrease the bass by 4 dB, which happens to be what Neumann recommends for placement in the middle of a room.

Although I was excited to have these new monitors, the monitors themselves were not exciting to listen to. In fact, they did not sound like much at all. They simply pass through the sound of the recordings without adding or subtracting anything. Were such language not frowned upon here at ASR, I would otherwise call them transparent, flat, dynamic and colorless. But since I do not want to be chastized, I won't. ;)

What struck me most about the speakers was - nothing. I found myself forgetting about them and hearing various aspects of the music...... like little things in the instrumentation of the songs - whisps of sounds that would never be heard in most systems.

Although today I did not A/B the 150's against my KH310's or 120's/750, it seemed to me that there was no obvious difference that I could pin down.

Looking at the 310's in the background, I expected that there might be some slight loss of smoothness in the midrange, since the 150 is a two way design. I listened for this but heard nothing in this regard. These little puppies sound like Amir's frequency response curve predicts ----- smoooooth. So smooth.

Using the 4816, there are five different gain controls in the chain (150 input trim, line input preamp gain, short fader, master mix fader and studio monitor gain). It was fun using these in combination, but there was no perceptable difference, regardless of the combination. (The 4816 is so clean). There was also not a bit of hiss at any listening level. Not a bit.

For a but of fun I listened to them at 4 meters and 6 meters distance. I will simply say that for me they are nearfiled monitors. I have other speakers (not monitors) for those distances.

From this short initial introduction to them, the 150's are quite simply everything that Amir and the other reviewers established. I can do nothing but confirm.

I am in a state of great admiration of the Neumann organization. I cannot image all of the hard and intelligent work that went into making these monitors. For my use, I could want nothing more. View attachment 255746
Congrats :)
Do you feel they sound "smaller" with a smaller soundstage than KH310? Also how much less bass they have as 6.5 vs 8 inch the KH310 is?

JustCoolin‘

I have 120s in my „near field corner”, and am looking for something for greater distance when I am on the couch - may I ask what “other speakers” you use (for “pleasure listening, I assume) at the distances you mention?

Quite the impressive Neumann collection you got there. :)

teashea

Congrats :)
Do you feel they sound "smaller" with a smaller soundstage than KH310? Also how much less bass they have as 6.5 vs 8 inch the KH310 is?
No, I do not think that the 150's sound smaller than my 310's. It seems that the design of the 150 has accomplished the ability of the 150's to sound bigger than they are. I attribute this to the excellent distortion numbers. But you should realize that I am using these as nearfield monitors. The situation may be different if one uses them as farfield- pleasure listening speakers.

As reported by Amir in his tests, the 150's have almost as much bass as the 310's. I will be listening to this comparison, which I have not yet done.

teashea

I have 120s in my „near field corner”, and am looking for something for greater distance when I am on the couch - may I ask what “other speakers” you use (for “pleasure listening, I assume) at the distances you mention?

Quite the impressive Neumann collection you got there. :)
Thanks ---- I like Neumann products in general for my studio. I have Neuman microphones and preamplifiers also.

I have five pleasure listening systems in my home. The speakers for these include Legacy Focus, Legacy Classic, Klipsch Forte III and Klipsch Cornwall IV.

neunoir

Thanks ---- I like Neumann products in general for my studio. I have Neuman microphones and preamplifiers also.

I have five pleasure listening systems in my home. The speakers for these include Legacy Focus, Legacy Classic, Klipsch Forte III and Klipsch Cornwall IV.
What's the added benefit of your listening systems for pleasure over these Neumanns? Why are they 'better' for that task?

neunoir

btw, I ordered the KH 750 to go with my KH 150s and it is a good addition already. A more complete image.
Still need to get all cables to be able to run MA1 (I really underestimated the effort needed for MA1).

gino1961

I'm more interested in the electronics and drivers at this point. Do we know what amps they're using or will we need to wait for a teardown.
i agree Even if the distortion tests will tell something about the quality of drivers Cheap but good amps can be made quite easily with some power pack of the last generation
I remember an integrated from Jeff Rowland the Concentra using more power packs in parallel If they are good for JR ....

Last edited:

gino1961

I am in a state of great admiration of the Neumann organization. I cannot image all of the hard and intelligent work that went into making these monitors. For my use, I could want nothing more. View attachment 255746
Hi congratulations ! what about soundstage ? do the speakers disappear ?
imhe when they do so they seem like disconnected from the system
Once i had to check wires by how much the effect was pronounced

teashea

Hi congratulations ! what about soundstage ? do the speakers disappear ?
imhe when they do so they seem like disconnected from the system
Once i had to check wires by how much the effect was pronounced
The soundstage is quite good - nice spread of sound and it is easy to point to the placement of the instruments/vocals across the soundstage.

teashea

What's the added benefit of your listening systems for pleasure over these Neumanns? Why are they 'better' for that task?
For two purposes:

1) I like to listen to a variety of music - pop, classical, jazz, country, singer-songwriter, hip hop, etc. Having multiple systems to listen with provides a variety of capabilities and sounds since each system has a different sound profile (and I am sitting on couches or love seats instead of a chair or bench at my console).

2) For music production it is very important to listen to the music I am doing with different systems. While the Neumann monitors provide the truest sound, it is good to know what the songs sound like on other systems.

Pritaudio

I’m considering adding open baffle driver hypex amp dual subwoofers instead of the kh750 to go with the kh150.
just adjust as you would with any other non dsp subwoofer.
positioning may be a problem due to room, but hoping Minidsp flex will solve this.

im not confident of relying on open baffle for the main monitors due directivity and other such issues, so will choose neumanns engineering kh150.

teashea

I’m considering adding open baffle driver hypex amp dual subwoofers instead of the kh750 to go with the kh150.
just adjust as you would with any other non dsp subwoofer.
positioning may be a problem due to room, but hoping Minidsp flex will solve this.

im not confident of relying on open baffle for the main monitors due directivity and other such issues, so will choose neumanns engineering kh150.
I would not recommend the phpex subwoofers. Why? Neumann subwooders are designed for use with the Neumann monitors. You can use the MA1 to adjust things.

Pritaudio

For two purposes:

1) I like to listen to a variety of music - pop, classical, jazz, country, singer-songwriter, hip hop, etc. Having multiple systems to listen with provides a variety of capabilities and sounds since each system has a different sound profile (and I am sitting on couches or love seats instead of a chair or bench at my console).

2) For music production it is very important to listen to the music I am doing with different systems. While the Neumann monitors provide the truest sound, it is good to know what the songs sound like on other systems.
Can you not create profiles to mimic other sound systems with the dsp.

Pritaudio

I would not recommend the phpex subwoofers. Why? Neumann subwooders are designed for use with the Neumann monitors. You can use the MA1 to adjust things.
Sorry, what is phpex subwoofers?
also, someone else on this thread returned the ma1 as he used the Minidsp flex to integrate non Neumann subs.
it has more tweak ability then the Neumann software.

Top Bottom