• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 471 90.9%

• Total voters

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am really happy to see that the graphs confirm what my ears are telling me. I always think 'what comes in must come out' and Neumann mics are often used at the recording side. Unfortunately my room isn't as 'flat' as the measurements showed, but I have the even smalller KH80 DSP with built in correction curves (after measuring with the optional mic) which also produce great low end for such a tiny speaker. With the KH 750 sub you get an amazing little team that doesn't come cheap but really delivers the music (and the measurements).
I think you are hitting on a good point. The Neumann family sound. In my studio (TES Productions) I often use a tighknit Neumann signal chain - Neumann U87ai, Neumann v402 preamps, Neumann KH120's/750, Neumann KH310's (and soon KH150's. I even use Neumann NDH 20 and 30 headphones. Of course I have other brands of equipment, but sometimes it is interesting to have a Neumann chain. It seems to work.

teashea

I agree with everything you've said apart from the $400, but that's not worth discussing in detail, just that EQ can fix some speakers to make them good/excellent and that I don't agree with the $400. Of course we both agree we think this reviewed speaker is excellent (and that they're the most important part), ha!
There is much more to the engineering for the KH150 than DSP. Much more.

teashea

I'd need a sub as I mostly listen to electronic music, even with my 3 way Lyd 48's the difference a sub makes is a necessity for bass heavy music.
How much of that bass is below 39 Hz?

The major labels simply do not produce music with anything in the lowest octave. It is not commercially viable, since almost none of their listeners have a system to reproduce it.

teashea

Personally I think it would be sufficient to me for desktop/nearfield use which is the main use case for these, but really there is no right or wrong answer. Subs in smallish rooms can sometime cause more harm than good if not integrated properly and it is not always just trivial as running a measurment at listening position and apply a curve. If you need it for large space it would be different. Just my opinion.
I agree completely. This is especially true for near-nearfield use, ie approx 1.5 meters - which is how I will use them.

teashea

The guy from Neumann mentions in the youtube videos this is the first of a series. I cross fingers for bigger models but at a price point lower than the bigger genelecs. I think they could become very interesting products. Maybe I am too naive.
Is there a consesus on the accompanying kh750 sub? It is not the cheapest 10" out there...
I have a 750 that I use with a pair of KH120's. It is expensive for a reason. I find it to be exactly what I want. It tends to the bass without being pushy. So many of the subwoofer systems of people I have heard are grossly out of balance, with the subwoofer far too pronounced. Phoney bass is certainly not what one wants in a studio setting.

teashea

It is excellent in every measurable regard, but much like @changer, I'd like to know to what extent these things are needed. Where do you hit diminishing returns?

I'd love to hear the KH150s, but would a pair of decent floorstanders + sub/s & amplification be able to provide audibly (as opposed to measurably) similar or better performance for the price, that would be my question. Most will probably use these on a desk, but if not then this is a question worth asking.
A legitimate question. As with many things, the last 5 percent in quality often doubles the cost. It simply depends on what one wants and is willing to pay.

teashea

Incredible performance but they are way too expensive for what they are. Kali Audio LP-6 V2 go down to 39 Hz too with 6.5" woofers and cost only 300 dollars per pair which is tenth of what these seem to cost. Of course they don't have internal DSP but at least for me UMIK-1+REW+Equalizer APO is a good enough combination.

I would like to see cardioid designs like the Dutch&Dutch 8C trickle down to more attainable prices. Biggest problems I've had with speakers are always the nasty boundary interferences which cannot be corrected via DSP. It's a shame so few speakers are designed to be used near walls like most people have their desks set up.

Estimated%20In-Room%20Response.png
I think that the price is reasonable. Quality costs. There is no magic.

teashea

The first improvement I noticed with the sub engaged was that the mids were more clear and the second was that the bass was less muddy.
How does a sub make the mids clearer?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a number of tracks/albums that do. And indeed that is how I test the ability of a speaker to play full range. Here is my reference album for speakers/headphones:

1672023548217.png

Can't find it on youtube for some reason.

You can find them a lot easier if you have a DAC with spectrum analyzer as I do (RME ADI-2 Pro/DAC).

teashea

I have a number of tracks/albums that do. And indeed that is how I test the ability of a speaker to play full range. Here is my reference album for speakers/headphones:

View attachment 252384

You can find them a lot easier if you have a DAC with spectrum analyzer as I do (RME ADI-2 Pro/DAC).
Thank you very much. In the types of music I have produced there is nothing down there. I shall enjoy this extra dimension.

witwald

Forum Donor
The major labels simply do not produce music with anything in the lowest octave. It is not commercially viable, since almost none of their listeners have a system to reproduce it.
From what I've read, the lowest note on a 4-string double bass and bass guitar comes in at 41.2Hz. On a 5-string bass guitar, the lowest note will be at 30.9Hz. Whether or not the listener has a system to reproduce it, those notes will usually be recorded as part of the performance. It's not the musician's fault that the equipment used to reproduce their work may not be fully up to the required task.

It's also worth keeping in mind that, in order to reproduce 41.2Hz with only minimal attenuation (say less than 0.5dB), the loudspeaker needs to have a –3dB cut-off frequency of 30Hz or so if it's a vented box alignment.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

View attachment 252384

+1

In agreement with @amirm at 100%. I may have a very long list of albums with content below 30Hz, in fact, with content below 20Hz I have a good amount too. Sterling Sound NY and Sterling Sound Nashville use subwoofers in ALL their mastering rooms. Particularly, they have been using our subwoofers (Rythmik Audio) since 2008 and still use them. Just a few months ago they got a pair of Rythmik Audio FV18s for their Dolby ATMOS Mastering Room in Nashville. Mastering and recording studios that do hip hop music, latin music and movies, almost every album has content below 30Hz and some of those even below 20Hz content. As an example, listen to A Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay, if your system is capable of reproducing frequencies below 20Hz, you will get hit by a 18Hz sine wave almost at the end of the song. A serious organ music listener, would need a subwoofer capable of reproducing the last octave in their system if he wants to enjoy the music. Classical music recorded live get content below 20Hz thanks to the room mics placed in the house. The only way to perceive the heaviness that those mic capture is with subwoofers capable of reproducing content below 20Hz. The 1812 Overture (cannot shots) has lots of energy down to 10 Hz.

Rythmik subs Sterling.jpg

fuzzychaos

While they may be usable to some degree in a mid-farfield setting, please remember that these are studio monitors designed optimally for nearfield use. You can use your Ferrari SF90 to go down the block to buy groceries, but it isn't going to excell at that mission.
Agree to disagree. They work well at 12’ or so and Nuemann say they are useable up to 18’. There is nothing really magical about a monitor vs bookshelf situation. Genelec, for example, has the 80xx series for studio/near field and have the G series (which as far as I can tell is the same as the 80xx with an rca hookup). Genelec seems to think that the G series is great for home use, even though they are essentially studio monitors. Neumann too.

The distance away from the speaker affects the direct sound vs reverberated sound, so near field you get the direct “un-colored “ sound and the further away you are you will get some more indirect reverberated sound. Using them as monitors you’ll want more direct sound to hear the mix unaltered, but listening at a distance is fine, no, great with the KH 150’s. Sure you’ll hear more of the room, but that’s what happens to all speakers.

Bartez2000

View attachment 252384

"I have a number of tracks/albums that do. "

It just shows your lack of professionalism. Instead of using a wave generator, synth with sine you "listen to the songs". And does anyone know that not every song has equal bass levels? amateurs...

Vovgan

Forum Donor

The major labels simply do not produce music with anything in the lowest octave.
Yeah I was surprised that all the sub-bass in the bass-heavy music that I listen to peaks at 40Hz at the lowest, and sometimes 50 Hz, and I used to think that it was 20 or 30 hz, so deep and impactful and spacious it sounded.
When I changed my subs from two REL s510 to two svs pb2000 there was no difference in any music that I listen two, but in action movies - boy, what a difference!
Music is good even without subs on my Revel f208s, but with subs better and more spacious (I have subs on the outer side of each speaker)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"I have a number of tracks/albums that do. "

It just shows your lack of professionalism. Instead of using a wave generator, synth with sine you "listen to the songs". And does anyone know that not every song has equal bass levels? amateurs...
Just in case you are serious, I listen to sweeps during measurements. Music listening is an add-on to that testing. As to your second comment about levels, that makes no sense. You have this thing called volume control people use to listen at all different levels. In my subjective testing, I vary that to see at what point the bass gets distorted and whether that is loud enough for near or far field listening.

jean-benoit

modern music sure has content below 50 or 40Hz. listening to modern trap music, the kick (booom) from the "roland 808" (released 1980) is present in almost every song. this very machine has been used way earlier by hip hop and dance music pioneers, as well as in pop music by the likes of marvin gaye or phil collins. but the peak of this kick is around 50 to 100Hz, below that thump is the sub bass, that is more felt. when producing these types of music, you will make sure that there is still harmonical content in those bass/subbass sounds, so you will also hear them on bluetooth speakers who will not be able to play below 50Hz.

for my personal taste, as a music listener and producer, if a speaker can go as low as the KH150 (36Hz, -6db), i will have everything i need to hear all kinds of music. especially if the speaker has a well controlled and acurate bass like the KH150.

it's a personal preference in my optinion. but i think we should all agree that 36Hz, -6db is more than enough bass, especially for a rather small nearfield monitor. sure you can add a sub, but you don't really need one to get the "overall" sound from the music (any kind of music) you're listening to.

hege

Forum Donor
but i think we should all agree that 36Hz, -6db is more than enough bass, especially for a rather small nearfield monitor. sure you can add a sub, but you don't really need one to get the "overall" sound from the music (any kind of music) you're listening to.
No, I don't agree. You said that it's a personal preference, better leave it at that.

My TV's internal speakers don't play much below <80hz, but I get more than enough "overall" sound for all the series and movies I watch. Should we agree that it's more than enough bass?

There's many many threads to continue this in, including this latest one:

Top Bottom