• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 120 vs Genelec 8341

Mile

I wondered whether it would be worth switching to the Genelec 8341 (8331?) from my KH120. The point source concept appeals to me and the measurements seem to beer really good. Has anyone ever heard both monitors compared? Maybe someone can help me with the interpretation of the measurement results. As far as they are available. The only reason why I hesitate is that the Genelec are four times as expensive as the Neumann.

OP
M

Mile

I had assumed that the 8351 was too big for my needs (nearfield on computer desk) and SPL is not so important for me.
But you are right, I had not thought about that yet. If I understand the chart of Genelec correctly, both would work at this distance.

correct-monitors-direct_sound_dominance-chart.jpg
correct-monitors-direct_sound_dominance-chart.jpg

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The one thing that I find potentially worrying about the 8351B is that it may not be entirely silent in nearfield use - the older 8351A was measured at 29 dB SPL(A) @ 10 cm. That would be fairly average, barely any better than e.g. ADAM T7V which aren't even intended to be super nearfield speakers anyway. I can just about hear hiss from my K+H O110s at ~0.4 m (spec: <= 20 dB(A) @ 10 cm, which should translate to <= 0 dB(A) @ 1 m anechoic if I'm not mistaken), and certainly wouldn't want to have it substantially louder in an upgrade.

Spec for the 8351B is <= 5dB(A) @ 1 m, for the 8341 it's <= 3 dB(A) @ 1 m, and for the 8331A it's <= 0 dB(A).

So do take your listening distance into account, your sensitivity to hiss and how quiet and well-treated your room is, in order to avoid any nasty surprises.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The one thing that I find potentially worrying about the 8351B is that it may not be entirely silent in nearfield use - the older 8351A was measured at 29 dB SPL(A) @ 10 cm. That would be fairly average, barely any better than e.g. ADAM T7V which aren't even intended to be super nearfield speakers anyway. I can just about hear hiss from my K+H O110s at ~0.4 m (spec: <= 20 dB(A) @ 10 cm, which should translate to <= 0 dB(A) @ 1 m anechoic if I'm not mistaken), and certainly wouldn't want to have it substantially louder in an upgrade.

Spec for the 8351B is <= 5dB(A) @ 1 m, for the 8341 it's <= 3 dB(A) @ 1 m, and for the 8331A it's <= 0 dB(A).

So do take your listening distance into account, your sensitivity to hiss and how quiet and well-treated your room is, in order to avoid any nasty surprises.
I guess it could matter, but I doubt it'll be enough to be annoying when you consider the average room base noise; my 8030Cs are specced the same and they're definitely not audible to me (26 yo, if this can help) at 0.7~0.8 m unless I point an ear right at it.

Top Bottom