• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 120 A vs JBL 705p for surrounds

mcsound

Apologies if this has been discussed…I did a search but couldn’t find a clear answer to my specific issue.

I have a home theater setup in an untreated living room and I am looking to upgrade the surrounds to active studio monitors that I could potentially use professionally (broadcast audio engineer by trade). The listening distance is around 3m. I am familiar with the sound of both the KH 120 and the 705p but I am wondering what would be best in this case. The 705p looks like it has a wider horizontal directivity than the KH 120. Since they will be used as surrounds, would the KH120 be better because the narrower directivity would “localize” the sound more? Or would a wider directivity be better at that distance? Or would I not even notice the difference? Curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's that more closely align with your LCR are probably the best choice

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Between those two I would pick 705p. I’ve found that narrower pattern surrounds localize to the the speakers more. In the DPL-2 days I would take a KEF or Tannoy coax…and aim it to the ceiling!

That said, if you’re not going to take them off the walls and use as nearfields I would get something else entirely: JBL CBT. If KH 120 has enough output for you CBT 50 should suffice.

OP
M

mcsound

That's that more closely align with your LCR are probably the best choice
My LR are Klipsch RP-8000F’s and center is Klipsch RP-504C…so there’s no way they are going to match but I can’t bare to buy a Klipsch RP-600 or something similar knowing that I can get a speaker that measures much better.

OP
M

mcsound

Between those two I would pick 705p. I’ve found that narrower pattern surrounds localize to the the speakers more. In the DPL-2 days I would take a KEF or Tannoy coax…and aim it to the ceiling!

That said, if you’re not going to take them off the walls and use as nearfields I would get something else entirely: JBL CBT. If KH 120 has enough output for you CBT 50 should suffice.
I think the idea is that I would be able to take them off the walls and use them as nearfields. So I guess I am looking for the best studio monitor around that size. Is it worth waiting to see how the KH 120 II measures? The KH 150 is too big for the bookshelf I will use for one of them. I should add that I live in an apartment so the less destructive the better :)

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I like that idea, I guess I blocked CBT out of my mind because WAF is so low. I wonder, though, would you still recommend CBT if there were more than 5ch? Assuming the mix is decent, especially in the age of Atmos, localization seems like less of an issue once height/tops come into the picture.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like that idea, I guess I blocked CBT out of my mind because WAF is so low. I wonder, though, would you still recommend CBT if there were more than 5ch? Assuming the mix is decent, especially in the age of Atmos, localization seems like less of an issue once height/tops come into the picture.

I’m on firmer ground recommending CBT for immersive systems than surround, as I’ve only actually tried them in the former and rarely play surround disks now out of laziness and the rise of Atmos streaming.

As for appearance, I don’t think they look too bad. Opinions can differ. they’re slim and (with flush brackets) fairly shallow.

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

I can’t think of another speaker with suitable output that would work well in the latter position, which is the only rational spot for a side speaker in this room.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m on firmer ground recommending CBT for immersive systems than surround, as I’ve only actually tried them in the former and rarely play surround disks now out of laziness and the rise of Atmos streaming.

As for appearance, I don’t think they look too bad. Opinions can differ. they’re slim and (with flush brackets) fairly shallow.

View attachment 286557

View attachment 286554

I can’t think of another speaker with suitable output that would work well in the latter position, which is the only rational spot for a side speaker in this room.
The form factor is unobtrusive as well. Very nice!

Top Bottom